Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-24-2015, 08:25 AM   #1
Qoltar
Pike's Pique

Default [IW] 'Steampunk' timelines and settings?

Infinite Worlds....

Are there any worlds or timelines that are very "Steampunk" in style?

Has anyone created one using the rules in the Infinite Worlds book?

By 'Steampunk" I mean it has to have these features:
1) Late 19th century in fashion and style,
2) Common usage of Airships for travel.
3) Mostly full equality of women as far as voting rights, holding major jobs, etc..
4) Full equality for Blacks and other ethnic groups when compared or contrasted with our history...

Any timelines or settings like that?

What was the Point of Divergence to get there?

- Ed C.
You can't take the sky from me....

A vote for charity: http://s3.silent-tower.org/TheKlingonVotes/index.html

Last edited by Qoltar; 04-29-2015 at 07:25 PM.
Qoltar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 09:18 AM   #2
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: [IW] 'Steampunk' timelines and settings?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qoltar View Post
Infinite Worlds....

Are there any worlds or timelines that are very "Steampunk" in style?

Has anyone created one using the rules in the Infinite Worlds book?

By 'Steampunk" I mean in has to have these features:
2) common usage of Airships for travel.
3) Mostly full equality of women as far as voting rights, holding major jobs, etc..
4) Full equality for Blacks and other ethnic groups when compared or contrasted with our history...

- Ed C.
I'm not sure what the last two items have to do with steampunk...

Brittanica-6, an officially published world (its own book) certainly counts as steampunk. The divergence point is the survival of a heir to the british throne (both mother an child died at birth on homeline), who proves a solid figurehead for post-napoleonic whigs. It doesn't have modern politics, but it does lean a little more that way.

The reality seeds thread surely has some steam punk stuff....

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 09:34 AM   #3
Qoltar
Pike's Pique

The last two item?
Numbers 3 & 4?

Have you browsed Steampunk fiction or been to major Steampunk conventions?

Those two items are a Big facet of Steampunk.

One local guy calls it "The future that should have been".
My version of that is that Steampunk is our 19th Century if it had gone much more interesting - in a good way.

If you're wondering, this does overlap in some ways the question I asked down in the Geek Culture sub-forum.

- Ed C.
You can't take the sky from me....

A vote for charity: http://s3.silent-tower.org/TheKlingonVotes/index.html
Qoltar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 10:35 AM   #4
Xenarthral

Possibly Britannica-2.
If nothing else it's TL5+2, which has a tendency towards being equated with
1 and 2, and has been part of Centrum's Zone Green for over a decade,
which should at least push it towards 3 and 4.

Unless there is more about it written somewhere - and I've got a vague feeling it is referencing something (might be a Suppressed Transmission).
Xenarthral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 01:55 PM   #5
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
The last two item?
Numbers 3 & 4?

Have you browsed Steampunk fiction or been to major Steampunk conventions?

Those two items are a Big facet of Steampunk.
Frankly, most of the time I run into steampunk its because a work I'm interested in gets called steampunk. None of them have really been core steampunk works though, so most my exposure is discussion about whether a given work is steampunk or not.

You learn something every day.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 09:00 PM   #6
warellis

There's the world line known as Etheria which is found in GURPS Infinite Worlds: Lost Worlds, there's the world line known as Falkenstein, found in both GURPS Castle Falkenstein & the Castle Falkenstein RPGs from R Talsorian Games.

That's at least two steampunkish worldliness in Infinite Worlds. Note that the Falkenstein worldline also has quite a bit of magic due to elves, fairies, dragons, and other magical beings there openly living in society as well. Also I think it has some sort of SciFi Inca civilization I believe. Anyways while women don't have quite full equal rights in Falkenstein they're definitely better off than they were in OTL.
warellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 05:35 AM   #7
Gold & Appel Inc

Quote:
By 'Steampunk" I mean in has to have these features:
I'm with you so far.

Quote:
2) common usage of Airships for travel.
Sure.

Quote:

Here's where you go off the rails a little, IMHO. I can't personally think of any examples of steampunk that give full equality without at least mild condescension to women and non-WASPS as classes, but I would definitely say that allowing exceptional individuals to buy off various Social Stigmata for all practical purposes is very much in-genre. There should be no barrier in a steampunk game to creating a highly-competent and respected PC from a minority demographic, but that character will always be considered remarkable, and that's treated more as a good thing about them than as a failure of society. In other words, social inequality still exists (but is blunted to some extent) for groups as a general thing, but the "glass ceiling" more-or-less doesn't exist for individuals.

Last edited by Gold & Appel Inc; 04-25-2015 at 06:09 AM.
Gold & Appel Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 07:04 AM   #8
aesir23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold & Appel Inc View Post

Here's where you go off the rails a little, IMHO. I can't personally think of any examples of steampunk that give full equality without at least mild condescension to women and non-WASPS as classes, but I would definitely say that allowing exceptional individuals to buy off various Social Stigmata for all practical purposes is very much in-genre. There should be no barrier in a steampunk game to creating a highly-competent and respected PC from a minority demographic, but that character will always be considered remarkable, and that's treated more as a good thing about them than as a failure of society. In other words, social inequality still exists (but is blunted to some extent) for groups as a general thing, but the "glass ceiling" more-or-less doesn't exist for individuals.
I agree entirely.

I'm a big fan of steampunk. From the very beginnings of the literary genre (Moorcock's Warlord of the Air and certain works by KW Jeter, James P Blaylock, and Tim Powers), and certainly in it's most successful incarnation to date (The Difference Engine) Steampunk has addressed issues of social import with a critical and thoroughly modern moral sensibility. That's the "punk" in Steampunk. But it's often done so by shining a light on the injustices of the past, rather than erasing them.

Personally I find such utopian revisionism to be a pretty anemic approach to social critique compared to the unflinching eye.

That said, social critique isn't usually that fun in a friendly game, so the OPs approach is a perfectly acceptable one. I just object to it being considered a necessary component of steampunk as a genre.

To more directly address the OPs question: One of the settings presented in GURPS Horror is pretty promising Steampunk--I forget the name at them moment, but it's set after the Martian Invasion from War of the Worlds.
aesir23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 08:27 AM   #9
Ashtagon

Also agree that steampunk should have at least nominal amounts of dystopia for it to be true to the origins of the genre. The essence of *punk isn't a particular set of clothing, but a cynical attitude to how society is developing, coupled with an optimistic view of how technology is developing.

Just as cyberpunk where everyone is happy is often called cyberprep, steampunk where everyone is happy is,perhaps, better called steamprep.
Ashtagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 11:57 AM   #10
aesir23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashtagon View Post

Just as cyberpunk where everyone is happy is often called cyberprep, steampunk where everyone is happy is,perhaps, better called steamprep.
Thanks for expanding my genre lexicon! Those are useful terms.
aesir23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
infinite worlds, steampunk