Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-23-2015, 09:00 PM   #1
Caomhin the Celt

Default Pre-made vehicle stats

Greetings all!

Let me begin by saying, "I know GURPS has vehicle design rules!"

I get that. I really do. But... I don't really have the time, interest or patience for laboriously creating stats for the vehicles that I want in my game. I am not a gear-head or number cruncher by inclination or nature. (I get that there are people like that out there, and I appreciate every one of you. That's not me.) I am much more of a story-guy, and I like running immersive and detailed campaigns.

Specifically, I am in the design stages of a Twilight:2000/post-apocalyptic military campaign, and I need/want stats or almost complete templates for modern military vehicles from NATO and Warsaw Pact nations.

Is there a database or resource somewhere that has vehicles already created/statted out?

Thanks for any helpful replies.
Old 11-24-2015, 01:37 AM   #2
weby

Default Re: Pre-made vehicle stats

I do not believe there is such a thing.

There are few individual things scattered here and there(The t-72 in High tech, mi-24 and v100/150 in a pyramid articles and so on.

However vehicle stats do not really have anything funny in GURPS. If you have twilight 2000 available you could use the basic stats from there and it would likely be good enough and would have the benefit of being internally consistent. Though it should be noted that some of the values there are questionable.

The armor values there are 1 point=0.5cm steel armor so DR 14 in GURPS and the penetration is the same so 1 point=4d penetration( thus likely 2d(2) for AP and so on).
Old 11-24-2015, 07:09 AM   #3
HANS

As a big Twilight: 2000 fan, I can sympathise. However, there are quite a lot of relevant things already available:

AH-6J Little Bird (High-Tech, p. 241).
AML60-7 (High-Tech, p. 240).
BRDM-2 (High-Tech, p. 240).
M113A1-ish "APC" (p. B464).
M966 HMMWV (High-Tech, p. 242).
M998 Avenger HMMWV (High-Tech, p. 242).
M1025 HMMWV (High-Tech, p. 242).
M1026 HMMWV (High-Tech, p. 242).
M1114 HMMWV (High-Tech, p. 243).
MGS (High-Tech, p. 243).
MH-6J Little Bird (High-Tech, p. 241).
Mi-24V (Pyramid #3/57, p. 16).
T-72A (High-Tech, p. 244).
UH-1H-ish "Utility Helicopter" (p. B465).
UH-60A-ish "Utility Helicopter" (p. B465).
V-100 (Pyramid #3/53, p. 16).
V-150 (Pyramid #3/53, p. 17).

Plus a couple more generic non-military vehicles in the Basic Set.

Weby is right that one point of Armour Value equals 5mm of armour steel (Twilight: 2000, Second Edition, p. 274) which equals DR 14 or so, but he's also right that many of the values in Twilight: 2000 are extremely dubious.

Cheers

HANS
Old 11-24-2015, 09:14 PM   #4
Caomhin the Celt

Thanks for the help. I have the High Tech book laying around here somewhere. I'll give it a look. I wonder why SJG hasn't considered publishing a sourcebook of vehicles like what I described? I know some of my favorite books from the T:2000 series were the US Army and Soviet Army vehicle guides.
Old 11-24-2015, 09:58 PM   #5
Proteus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caomhin the Celt View Post
I wonder why SJG hasn't considered publishing a sourcebook of vehicles like what I described? I know some of my favorite books from the T:2000 series were the US Army and Soviet Army vehicle guides.
They've pretty clearly considered it; see the GURPS Vehicles section of their proposal wishlist. But no knowledgeable freelancer has offered to write such a book yet, it seems.
Proteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 10:38 PM   #6
scc

The reason that there's not a lot of vehicle stats is because most games don't NEED them. For just about any motor vehicle for normal games the most you will EVER need are the generic stats from Basic, and you'll probably only use half of them, even in a fight. An AutoDual game, or one in the same vain, will want more, variance and customization rules, but for most games unless you get into a fight in vehicles or a race you won't even look at the stats.
scc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 10:51 PM   #7
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by scc View Post
The reason that there's not a lot of vehicle stats is because most games don't NEED them. For just about any motor vehicle for normal games the most you will EVER need are the generic stats from Basic, and you'll probably only use half of them, even in a fight. An AutoDual game, or one in the same vain, will want more, variance and customization rules, but for most games unless you get into a fight in vehicles or a race you won't even look at the stats.
While this is true, the OP is mostly asking about military hardware, which in the kinds of games where they're used they quickly become relevant.

RPing a fight between a column of M1A1 Abrams MBTs vs a column of T-72 MBTs? You'll want the DR, HP, main guns, Hnd/SR, and Move scores for both tanks at the least. Add in M2/M3 Bradleys, LAV-150s, and other light IFV/CFV type armored vehicles, and battlefields quickly become a mess.

I was thinking of putting together at least an eyeballed-version of a number of military vehicles. I'll need to dig through the Pyramids and High-Tech to see what's there and what's missing.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 12:02 AM   #8
scc

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrock1031 View Post
While this is true, the OP is mostly asking about military hardware, which in the kinds of games where they're used they quickly become relevant.

RPing a fight between a column of M1A1 Abrams MBTs vs a column of T-72 MBTs? You'll want the DR, HP, main guns, Hnd/SR, and Move scores for both tanks at the least. Add in M2/M3 Bradleys, LAV-150s, and other light IFV/CFV type armored vehicles, and battlefields quickly become a mess.

I was thinking of putting together at least an eyeballed-version of a number of military vehicles. I'll need to dig through the Pyramids and High-Tech to see what's there and what's missing.
Yes, but it means the demand is from a VERY narrow market segment, and considering that the biggest success I know off in vehicle based gaming involve customization rules
scc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
high-tech, vehicles