Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 03-27-2019, 02:16 PM   #21
Shadekeep

Default Re: Postcard Adventure Contest

I suspect 8pt is going to be the bare minimum for fonts. Also, if SJ Games are going to redesign the winners into a consistent format, there may be issues with too much text that doesn't fit after the redesign if one is really packing it tight (like I am).
Shadekeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 03:36 PM   #22
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadekeep View Post
I suspect 8pt is going to be the bare minimum for fonts. Also, if SJ Games are going to redesign the winners into a consistent format, there may be issues with too much text that doesn't fit after the redesign if one is really packing it tight (like I am).
I used 8-pt when I wrote the two postcards. I'd recommend not going smaller than that.

Mailed in an envelope is okayish, but against the spirit of the postcard labyrinth concept.
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 06:11 PM   #23
ParadoxGames

The idea of sending entries in AS A POSTCARD may be my fault! I really am into oldschool/nostalgia. Before the contest began, I made a postcard adventure that was not related to the contest and mailed it to SJG. Maybe it was too cool an idea.

This will be a fun challenge and I wish luck to everyone who enters. Winning autographed anything TFT related will be cool. But who wouldn't want their ideas as part of official TFT gaming?

Some tips on making a postcard:
If you're making a 5x7 postcard, make it 10x7, with both sides of the postcard together (and touching) on one side of the sheet. and print it on card stock (110 lb is adequete). Before folding it in half, take a box cutter or X-Acto (tm) knife and lightly make a scoring cut on the edge where the front and back meet. Don't cut all the way through. Fold it in half. I place another piece of paper over the postcard after folding, then use a ruler to crease it firmly. The other paper prevents the card from getting marked up. Cut the sides and bottom while it's folded so the front and back match up.

Now you want to seal the front and back together. I use Krylon (tm) spray adhesive for an even coat; don't use rubber cement. 3M (tm) is another quality brand. If you glue THEN cut, wait an hour to let it set.

This double-thick card stock produces a solid , mailable postcard. Trust me, I did it and mailed it, and although I want to win, I also want everyone to have a fair shot to make a entry that you can mail. Two more things: 1) Use a laser printer, even if you only have access to a b&W one and must sacrifice color. I think SJG will judge on creativity and playability and not worry about color. (Correct me if I'm wrong.) 2) If the card size exceeds 4x6", place a first class stamp on it, not postcard postage. Your 5x7" or 4 1/2" x 6 1/4" entry won't get there with just the postcard postage, and it would be a shame if a potentially winning entry doesn't reach its destination over a few cents' worth of postage.

If I win, I don't want to win because you had a great idea and you couldn't realize it in card form! And, if I don't win because of the help i provided, that's also awesome, because the more entries that are involved, the more quality ideas that can be submitted, enriching the quality of the TFT gaming experience for everyone.

Last edited by ParadoxGames; 03-27-2019 at 06:16 PM.
ParadoxGames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 03:01 AM   #24
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadoxGames View Post
I think SJG will judge on creativity and playability and not worry about color.
B&W is totally acceptable (and appropriate).
Old 03-28-2019, 03:28 AM   #25
FireHorse

Phil, what is the empty space on the address side intended for?

Or more precisely, can we use it?

I can fit my encounter and map entirely on the other side, but I'd like to include an illustration, and that's the only place that one could go.
FireHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 03:30 AM   #26
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireHorse View Post
Phil, what is the empty space on the address side intended for?

Or more precisely, can we use it?

I can fit my encounter and map entirely on the other side, but I'd like to include an illustration, and that's the only place that one could go.
The empty space is for to/from addresses. It must be left blank for your entry to be a true postcard.
Old 03-28-2019, 03:39 AM   #27
FireHorse

Well then, no illustration it is. Thanks for the quick reply!
FireHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 07:05 AM   #28
Shadekeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by philreed View Post
Mailed in an envelope is okayish, but against the spirit of the postcard labyrinth concept.
Then I'll honour the intent and mail them as postcards. Just hope the postal service is kind to them. ^_^
Shadekeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 07:30 AM   #29
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadekeep View Post
Then I'll honour the intent and mail them as postcards. Just hope the postal service is kind to them. ^_^
You must be new. :)
Old 03-28-2019, 09:23 AM   #30
the1weasel

Quote:
Originally Posted by philreed View Post
You must be new. :)
Bwahahahahahahaha!!!!

At first thought, I began to see how many of the new LE f&f I could include. Then I looked at size, and now that my initial exuberance has subsided I’m mostly sane again.

I intend several entries, not FTW, but just in the spirit of competition and honestly, what the helpful gentleman said above about helping further the TFT fun (and if we get credit and something is published, that’d be most phenomenal!)

Last edited by the1weasel; 03-28-2019 at 09:30 AM. Reason: punct.
the1weasel is offline   Reply With Quote