Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 07-08-2019, 10:06 AM   #191
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Default Re: Hall of Judgment for the DFRPG: Now LIVE!

(E) and Raputin have the right of it. The tiwstakn was a very important part of "Lost Hall of Tyr (1st Edition)" and provided a magical plot device to shorten the month-long journey to the Hall. If you were wearing the rings found inside the rod that is pictured in the image where the faerie lady is squaring off against a holy warrior in the book, you could see through the illusions placed by Tyr and find a teleportation circle, as well as see the Hall itself, which was concealed from normal sight.

Well, that's fine for a convention, but "you got there and can't find the adventure location" is a bonehead move, so it got toned down and edited out in Hall of Judgment . . . but not completely, and I forgot to include what it is other than by reference.

But basically, it's a device that, when a particular spell is cast through it on a map that shows the geography of the place where the Hall is, will show the location of the Hall to appear on the map. It can also be used (was used) by the priests at Logiheimli to track and return the bodies of petitioners to the Hall to the barrows outside of the fort. A Holy Lojack, if you will.

It could be any convenient object, a ring, a pendant, a plaque, of magical but boring material. Stone is a good choice, as would be brass - durable but not valuable. It would be worked with runes and symbols for the God of Law.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 11:05 AM   #192
Balor Patch

You neglected (for spoiler reasons, I presume) it's more operationally important functions: p.36 "if a spellcaster has a tiwstakn" and p.52 "anyone wearing one of The God of Law’s tiwstakn (they still have it, right?)."
Balor Patch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 11:41 AM   #193
DouglasCole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balor Patch View Post
You neglected (for spoiler reasons, I presume) it's more operationally important functions: p.36 "if a spellcaster has a tiwstakn" and p.52 "anyone wearing one of The God of Law’s tiwstakn (they still have it, right?)."
Whistles innocently.
Old 07-26-2019, 01:38 AM   #194
Magic_Octopus

The map that Geirolf Tyrthegn has of the area where the Hall is supposed to be - is that the map on page 2 of the pdf? Or the one on page 18 with the colored arrows?

Or is it something that is not included in the pdf?
Magic_Octopus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 11:32 AM   #195
DouglasCole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic_Octopus View Post
The map that Geirolf Tyrthegn has of the area where the Hall is supposed to be - is that the map on page 2 of the pdf? Or the one on page 18 with the colored arrows?

Or is it something that is not included in the pdf?
It's not explicitly stated what it is, so as not to tie the GM's hands. If the GM wants the map to be very detailed, "go this way" directions, use the one on p. 18. If you want it to be "go here, but figure out the route your own darn self," use the one on p. 2.

If you want it to be even more vague, or not have certain information on it, a general sketch of the area would be more appropriate.

I can say there is no explicit, provided handout for this; it's left to each GM to decide. I have used this to my advantage in convention play, by showing the maps on p. 18 (please pick one of these routes).
Old 01-01-2020, 01:05 PM   #196
beetle496

I just ordered this from Warehouse 23. Too bad for me I missed the DFRPG KS. Probably I will buy more adventure modules as they come out.

I have the two 4e GURPS hardbacks, 4e Fantasy, and more 3e books than will fit into a milk crate. Do I really need DFRPG too?

Is there a thread that goes to what DFRPG stuff folks with the e4 GURPS hard cover books should be most interested in?

Last edited by beetle496; 02-04-2020 at 08:32 PM. Reason: milk carton -> milk crate, lol
beetle496 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 02:27 PM   #197
Kalzazz

I suspect you can probably make it work, it has its own monsters in it and samplle characters

You can probably kludge the spells from 3e

The gear is different but basic set gear should work
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 03:00 PM   #198
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by beetle496 View Post
Do I really need DFRPG too?
Need? No...

That's really a "it depends" question though. If you want a tight, streamlined rules set geared directly towards 'DF' style games, the DFRPG boxset is the way to go.

Even if it's just the pdf version.

It's easy from there to pick up individual books from the DF line to fill out absences (Power Ups, Treasure Tables, Summoners, Allis, Sages, Henchmen, etc).

But note, the DF/RPG line is very "back to the dungeon/OSR" style fantasy, the rules are geared to support that.

Quote:
Is there a thread that goes to what DFRPG stuff folks with the e4 GURPS hard cover books should be most interested in?
It's really scattered about in different threads. Mostly DFRPG just streamlines In Town social actions, streamlines some modifiers in combat, and limits the spell lists (and modifies some spells to better fit the genre).

The biggest "ease of use" feature is the Profession Templates that radically speeds up chargen and goes the distance to ensure you don't end up with "Johnny One Skill" who is useless if he isn't doing his one thing (it also tries to instill niche protection, whether it succeeds or not is a debate).
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 03:40 AM   #199
Magic_Octopus

I started running dungeon fantasy with GURPS Dungeon Fantasy and started with this adventure. I didn't need DFRPG.

Where the differences have come to light the most are monster traits and spells. The names and effects might not be 100% the same, but that doesn't really make that much of a difference. In the end, I always run things in terms of "what makes the most sense" and I tune the monsters to the PC party anyway, so having them match 100% isn't important. GURPS or Powered by GURPS, it's a matter of rolling under with 3d6.

I did buy DFRPG in the end, but that was just due to the collector in me, and I wanted to see how the spells have been changed. Also, I wanted extra stuff that came with the box. My greed was satisfied, but I don't think I've actually used the rules in the box set yet.
Magic_Octopus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 08:41 AM   #200
beetle496

Thanks for the replies!

I do plan to pick up DFRPG sooner or latter, but glad to hear that it can be later. Sadly, I do much more reading of game materials than playing…
beetle496 is offline   Reply With Quote