Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 07-24-2019, 10:48 PM   #31
lachimba

Default Re: DFRPG vs DF 1-19

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
Eh... I find the small differences catch experienced Players and GMs by surprise. Also the clamor for "add in this option and that option" gets loud fast.
I can only speak for myself.

I did have one experienced player/GM who walked himself out of the game because he couldn't handle DFRPG not being his DF.

But I still think it would have been easier for him.
lachimba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 11:07 PM   #32
Balor Patch

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
Only if it's a 'metabolic hazard'. So...

Death Touch, Nauseate, Sickness, and Retch clearly. Maybe Wither Limb?
Magic p.41 under Deathtouch: "This spell does affect the undead."
Balor Patch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 08:36 AM   #33
Michael Thayne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
Thats a side effect of using actual real-world units as the input to your function (and whole number integers as the output) - you have to define a breakpoint. They could have rounded up to 5 degrees or 10 degrees breakpoints, but that adds an extra step to the calculations.
Eh, you could have had Temperature Tolerance give a flat +10 °F to your comfort zone range, regardless of HT. Under RAW, you have the weird thing where all humans have the same range, but members of races with Temperature Tolerance have comfort zones that vary with an individual's HT. I guess you could have used racial HT instead of individual HT to avoid that oddity.

Quote:
The DFRPG approach dodges that particular problem by disengaging from actual real world units - I have mixed feelings. The DFRPG rule is definitely more playable at the table though, and I think your suggestion to waive it once TT brings the effective roll high enough is a good idea, although I'd go for "when your modified target number is 16 or higher", because it's not really worth the effort rolling at that point.
The reason I like "no roll if you have a net HT bonus" is it keeps the thing where 1 or 2 levels of Temperature Tolerance is enough to exempt you from some rolls a person without Temperature Tolerance would have to make. Under DFRPG's rule, lots of ordinary animals (bears and such) barely do any better than an ordinary human in freezing weather.
Michael Thayne is offline   Reply With Quote