Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 08-21-2019, 07:14 AM   #211
Shadekeep

Default Re: TFT Map Maker

Thank you both for the comments and feedback! I should have thought of incorporating SVG output myself, since I've written other programs that do that. I would definitely like to see what you're both working on. PM me here with any links to your work that you have, or let me know if you need to email me the code instead.

Sounds pretty exciting!
Old 08-21-2019, 07:49 AM   #212
Condutiarii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadekeep View Post
Thank you both for the comments and feedback! I should have thought of incorporating SVG output myself, since I've written other programs that do that. I would definitely like to see what you're both working on. PM me here with any links to your work that you have, or let me know if you need to email me the code instead.

Sounds pretty exciting!
I can send you your modified project with a short explanation if you wish. No worries!

You can find example here : https://drive.google.com/open?id=1f7...paM7YvF0UCzotz

Edit : As I registered today on the forum, I don't have the rights to send a private message yet.

Last edited by Condutiarii; 08-21-2019 at 08:16 AM.
Condutiarii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 08:59 AM   #213
Shadekeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Condutiarii View Post
Looks nice! Yes, that would be a very desirable function, especially as it negates the need for laborious hand-coding of each symbology element. Do let me know when you consider the code ready for sharing and I'll take a look at it. Thanks!
Old 08-21-2019, 09:42 AM   #214
Condutiarii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadekeep View Post
Looks nice! Yes, that would be a very desirable function, especially as it negates the need for laborious hand-coding of each symbology element. Do let me know when you consider the code ready for sharing and I'll take a look at it. Thanks!
Here is the link to the modified project: DELETED

Once downloaded I delete it, I don't want to have any trouble with the creator of this excellent generator! :D

SVG files are homemade, so no worries about copy rights. I leave them to you and you can freely modify them or use them as an inspiration if you wish.

So I modified the shamat.js file by adding these lines (line 604-605) :

Code:
var terrainImg = {};
initialiseTerrain();
Then line 665 I added the function :

Code:
function initialiseTerrain() {
	terrainFromSvg = [
		TERRAIN_WATER,
		TERRAIN_MOUNTOUT,
		TERRAIN_MOUNTFIL,
		TERRAIN_TREES,
		TERRAIN_SWAMP,
		TERRAIN_PLAINS,
		TERRAIN_DESERT,
		TERRAIN_CAPITOL,
		TERRAIN_CITY,
		TERRAIN_VILLAGE,
		TERRAIN_FORT,
		TERRAIN_MINE,
		TERRAIN_RUIN,
		TERRAIN_INTEREST
	];
	for (terrain in terrainFromSvg) {
		terrainImg[terrainFromSvg[terrain]] = document.createElement("img");//new Image;
		terrainImg[terrainFromSvg[terrain]].src = 'svg/terrain_' + terrainFromSvg[terrain] + '.svg';
	}
}
I then modified this whole part from line 2023:

Code:
		break;
	case TERRAIN_WATER:
	case TERRAIN_MOUNTOUT:
	case TERRAIN_MOUNTFIL:
	case TERRAIN_TREES:
	case TERRAIN_SWAMP:
	case TERRAIN_PLAINS:
	case TERRAIN_DESERT:
	case TERRAIN_CAPITOL:
	case TERRAIN_CITY:
	case TERRAIN_VILLAGE:
	case TERRAIN_FORT:
	case TERRAIN_MINE:
	case TERRAIN_RUIN:
	case TERRAIN_INTEREST:
		var cunit = scl * 1.5;
		ctx.drawImage(terrainImg[symbology], pptx[0] - cunit, ppty[0] - cunit, 3 * scl, 3 * scl);
		break;
	default:
		break;
It's far from perfect, but since I only changed quickly this morning, I didn't optimize or look any further. But I thought maybe it might interest you to improve your already excellent tool. I discovered it on a French role-playing forum (CasusNo) and I liked what you did, so if it helps.....

Thank you Shadekeep.

Edit: Archive deleted

Last edited by Condutiarii; 08-21-2019 at 04:13 PM.
Old 08-21-2019, 11:10 AM   #215
kenfoote

Cool! One less feature I need to worry about. I'll probably resume development later this week or this weekend. It'll be slow going, but I'll keep you posted here. Thanks!
kenfoote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 12:25 PM   #216
Shadekeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Condutiarii View Post
Here is the link to the modified project: snip
Thanks, I've grabbed it and will give a once-over when I get a chance. Sounds like a pretty cool solution!

Last edited by Shadekeep; 08-22-2019 at 09:26 AM.
Shadekeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 12:35 PM   #217
Condutiarii

Just a note about Firefox. There is a bug that does not allow to draw a SVG on the Canvas on this browser when the source SVG does not have the width and height attributes, or has these attributes but no absolute value (No %).
Old 08-23-2019, 02:40 PM   #218
JimmyPlenty

Shadekeep,

First off, Awesome stuff! I have a few suggestions. Some may have already been asked so just consider them an "extra vote for that" if so. :)

a) using a "tile system" so I can just drop in megahexes and build that way.

b) A "border" overlay. This way, I can show the GM's exactly what megahexes sizes to use for weird rooms so they don't have to sit there and "puzzle it out".

c) import images, like counters, for specific monster placement or terrain.

As you can see, I am using this more for building specific rooms.

Great stuff man!
JimmyPlenty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 07:26 PM   #219
ParadoxGames

Hey, Shadekeep! I've been thinking about you. It's been a while since I saw you on Discord and I was hoping you were all right. I also saw the August Dungeon of the Month that you made. Cool!
Old 08-26-2019, 02:21 PM   #220
Shadekeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyPlenty View Post
b) A "border" overlay. This way, I can show the GM's exactly what megahexes sizes to use for weird rooms so they don't have to sit there and "puzzle it out".
Glad you like it, and thanks for the suggestions. Can you explain a bit further what this particular item might look like?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadoxGames View Post
Hey, Shadekeep! I've been thinking about you. It's been a while since I saw you on Discord and I was hoping you were all right. I also saw the August Dungeon of the Month that you made. Cool!
Hey mate! Sorry I've not been around there much lately. I've been mad busy on some TFT projects and I have trouble not blurting them out when I get around you all. ^_^

I think I can share that I finished the final revision of a 12-page adventure for SJG, since Steve mentioned it himself on KS. I am revising one supplement and starting on another, both for their consideration. Trying to work up something suitable for the next Hexagram, too. I also wrapped up the baselines of the remaining DOTMs so that I have the basics of those fleshed out.

I'm glad you like the August DOTM, and am especially keen to get your feedback on the next one. It uses a village map with some extras, and I'd love to hear thoughts on it when it comes out next week. I'm also revising the Mellipheon adventure thanks to your feedback and will be posted a new version in which the insects aren't quite so overwhelmingly powerful.

Will be circling back on Shamat to incorporate this really clever SVG stuff, too. I'm pretty excited about working on that release.

Thanks for checking in, hope you are doing great too!