Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 07-14-2019, 03:28 PM   #1
kane100574

Default How to increase Skill?

Okay, guys... Bare with me. My wife and I are making characters and trying to make sense of all the numbers *Goes through the pages and pages etc*... Any help is greatly appreciated. We are complete Noobs so it is best to explain it to us like we are very smart 5-year-olds. ;) I am sure to ask tons more simple and obvious questions in the future.

Kids are getting excited... We are excited.

We need help learning how many points it takes to level a skill. Understanding it...

For Example...

Skill Camouflage: Lvl 14 (2 points spent); IQ is 11.

To Lvl camouflage to 15, it is an "easy" to learn skill, how many points would be spent to do this?

I am trying to understand the chart but I don't understand how the attribute is a negative, static, or positive.

Attribute in this example would be a base of 11. But does that need to be 11 - 1, 11 (0) or 11 + 1?

It shows Attribute - 3 to +3 and last option is "Extra +1"

How do we know which one of these to start with?

Thank you for any help in understanding!
kane100574 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 04:08 PM   #2
JMason

Default Re: How to increase Skill?

Skill levels are based on the attribute that skill is tied to, and the cost is effected by how difficult the skill is.

So, if you have an IQ/Easy skill (like Camouflage), with an IQ of 11, then the cost for each level is:

1 point = skill level 11 (Attribute + 0)
2 points = skill level 12 (Attribute + 1)
4 points = skill level 13 (Attribute + 2)
8 points = skill level 14 (Attribute + 3)
and so on...

Based on your example, I think you might also be using a character that has some other advantage/talent that gives a bonus to your skills. I'm going to guess this character has Outdoorsman 2. In that case the skills cost is factored like the talent level has been added to IQ. So IQ 11 and Outdoorsman 2 has a skill progression like:

1 point = skill level 13 (Attribute + talent + 0)
2 points = skill level 14 (Attribute + talent + 1)
4 points = skill level 15 (Attribute + talent + 2)
8 points = skill level 16 (Attribute + talent + 3)
and so on...

Now to increase as skill, you just have to pay the difference between what the two levels. So, if 2 points have been spent on skill 14, and 4 are needed for 15, then you just need to spend (4-2=2) 2 points to increase it. If you wanted skill 16, then it would cost (8-2=6) 6 points.

I hopes that clears things up some.
Old 07-14-2019, 05:07 PM   #3
kane100574

Thank you!
Old 07-14-2019, 06:00 PM   #4
zoncxs

That was the only issue I had with DFRPG. Rather than having it just a number I prefer skills showing the difficulty and attribute level.

So for example instead of:

(DX of 10)

Knife 11 [2]

it would be:

Knife (E) DX+1 [2] - 11
zoncxs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 12:22 PM   #5
Black Leviathan

I tend to remember skills like this:

One point in a skill gets you;
Easy = Attribute skill level
Average = Atribute -1 skill level
Hard = Attribute -2 skill level
VHard = Attribute -3 skill level

So if I put a point into the DX Average Stealth skill, and I have a DX of 12 and no other advantage modifying it, its a skill of 11.

Once a skill is on your character sheet you don't have to worry as much about attribute level or any advantages that bump that skill level. Regardless of the difficulty of the skill, skill cost progression will be as follows;

1, 2, 4, +4, additional +4's..

So if I have 1 character point in Stealth and a skill of 11, going up to skill 12 costs me 1 more character point to reach that 2 point progression. If I have two character points in Stealth with a skill of 12, going up to level 13 will take 2 more character points to reach the 4 point progression. Once I have 4 character points in a skill each further level is 4 more CP.

Make more sense?
Black Leviathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 10:07 PM   #6
kane100574

Yes, Thank you! :)
Old 07-28-2019, 12:29 PM   #7
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert
(If you have to ask . . .)

On page 70 of Adventurers it has the skill progression chart, and the Buying Skills section starts on page 69, if this also helps.
Mark Skarr is offline   Reply With Quote