Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 05-13-2019, 05:57 PM   #1
tony m rose

Default Adventure for new players

I just got my copy of the legacy box and am going to start a game for people who never played the Fantasy trip .
Both Death test 1 and 2 and Tolk Lair seem to be for more experienced players. Is there a newbie friendly adventure out yet or am I going to have to make one up?
tony m rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 06:10 PM   #2
hcobb

Default Re: Adventure for new players

The Curse adventure on my homepage (click the HJC link below) walks players new to the game through basic TFT concepts and then goes through a series of progressively more complex tactical scenarios.

What does everybody else have for starting players?
Old 05-13-2019, 07:11 PM   #3
Helborn

I have used simple arena combat to introduce the mechanics, sometimes using the wizard map, but I intend to use the postcard labyrinths and other contributions like Shadekeeps Dungeon of the month and Malchidael's Tactical encounters. Look for them in the House Rules subforum.
Old 05-14-2019, 12:04 AM   #4
KevinJ

I just made handouts with the basic rules. It's not like TFT is a super complex game, even when you add the role playing elements.
Old 05-14-2019, 12:08 AM   #5
JLV

I'm actually thinking about using Tomb of the Serpent Kings as a new starting scenario. Just plunk 'em down in front of it and let 'em work their way into it. Each step along the way, they are given a lesson in RPG-ing, and the challenges start out trivial and build in complexity and danger as they go! Seems like a pretty good way to explore the way the rules work in a nice limited scenario, with each step controlled in terms of violence, using their brains, and exploring concepts. By the time they're done, they should know the rules as well or better than they need to, have a few little rewards in terms of $$, have gained enough experience to add an Attribute (or maybe even a talent or spell), and generally know if this is the kind of thing they want to do or not.

Plus, if you've never run an adventure as a GM before, this one is light-years ahead of most starter adventures in terms of training you as a GM too.

All in all, it's the best $2.70 I've spent in a while for what it does... I'd like to see SJG develop something this good specifically FOR TFT! ;-)
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 03:38 AM   #6
Chris Rice

Dark City Games have been making TFT compatible adventures for many years. If you go to their website they have 2 free introductory adventures, Orcs of the High Mountains and The Sorcerors Manor. These are available to download as pdf files. I’d start with one of these.
Chris Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 07:15 AM   #7
malchidael

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Rice View Post
Dark City Games have been making TFT compatible adventures for many years. If you go to their website they have 2 free introductory adventures, Orcs of the High Mountains and The Sorcerors Manor. These are available to download as pdf files. I’d start with one of these.
Seconded. I prefer Sorcerer's Manor to the Orcs of High Mountain - it's a little more interesting, and a bit longer. But, they're both good. And free.
malchidael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 07:20 AM   #8
kommisar

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony m rose View Post
I just got my copy of the legacy box and am going to start a game for people who never played the Fantasy trip .
Both Death test 1 and 2 and Tolk Lair seem to be for more experienced players. Is there a newbie friendly adventure out yet or am I going to have to make one up?

Just use death test and basic melee / wizard. They will probably die in the first couple of tries but it will give your players practice trying out different characters and teach them the combat system. I would modify the adventure slightly and let the dead character be replaced in the hallway outside the room.

New players won't get the character they really want on the first couple of tries. It requires a certain familiarity on how the character creation tradeoffs effect play. Allow them to experiment and die while learning the rules.
Old 05-15-2019, 07:21 PM   #9
ParadoxGames

Shadekeep's January Dungeon of the month (at http://shadekeep.com) looks like a good scenario. Also, if you have Adventures PDF, "The Clockwork Tower" is for four 32-point characters. I printed the counters for both today. It looks like the shadekeep one can be played on Wizard map, since you're exploring only one megahex at a time and never going through it all at once. The Clockwork Tower is made to go with Megahex set #1, and includes two new hexes. My wife & I are going to try both of them next, so I can't tell you what to expect as in if they're good starting adventures. But they both seem so, and the latter is designed to be.
Old 05-21-2019, 10:45 AM   #10
Rickard

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
What does everybody else have for starting players?
I have an intro night for my new players. We do some arena combat to learn the basic rules mechanics. Then I have them explore a 4-10 room labyrinth stocked with simple things: a couple goblin guards, rats, a green slime, etc. I usually include a trap, a hidden/locked door, a trash pile with a coin or two, and a store room with some basic supplies such as torches and a crowbar. The actually labyrinth layout doesn't matter, you can just throw down some megahex pieces as you go (or better yet, use the Random Labyrinth Drop Table in the box lid). If you are going to run a particular scenario next, this is a good place for the new player(s) to find a clue/hook for that session. I let them keep the loot they find and XPs if they survive. And I let them modify their characters afterward based on what they learned during this training time.
Rickard is offline   Reply With Quote