Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-03-2013, 08:30 AM   #71
Langy

Default Re: Power-Ups for RPM?

Here's a little perk that might be interesting:

Natural Charmer - You are a natural at making charms and do not suffer any penalties from lacking a workspace kit. 1 point.

Though with the set-up/packing time, it might be more fair to make that 10 points and add the following as the perk:

Natural Charmer (Improvised) - You are a natural at making charms and, when working with no workspace kit, you act as if you had an improvised workspace; when working with an improvised workspace, you are at no penalty. 1 point.
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 11:52 AM   #72
Humabout

I might call the first one only 3 points, thinking about it. It's basically an Accessory perk with enough Signature Gear to buy a basic workspace kit (2 points worth at TL 3). You could even make this a leveled perk:

Level 1: Basic Kit [3]
Level 2: Good Kit [8]
Level 3: Fine Kit [29]

The only annoying thing about this approach is that the point value of the traits varies by TL because an average month's pay does not scale with starting cash between TLs.

Free Stuff:
Dungeon Action!
Totem Spirits

My Blog: Above the Flatline.
Humabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 12:02 PM   #73
Langy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humabout View Post
I might call the first one only 3 points, thinking about it. It's basically an Accessory perk with enough Signature Gear to buy a basic workspace kit (2 points worth at TL 3). You could even make this a leveled perk:

Level 1: Basic Kit [3]
Level 2: Good Kit [8]
Level 3: Fine Kit [29]

The only annoying thing about this approach is that the point value of the traits varies by TL because an average month's pay does not scale with starting cash between TLs.
Yeah, it's basically an accessory perk - except it also eliminates the packing/unpacking time.

I wouldn't make it give a bonus; if I wanted that, I'd probably just user Higher Purpose (Charm Maker), Natural Caster (Charms Only, -x%) or something.
Old 11-03-2013, 12:24 PM   #74
Humabout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langy View Post
Yeah, it's basically an accessory perk - except it also eliminates the packing/unpacking time.
That's probably fair enough. Instant use and stowing probably offsets the extra cost.

Quote:
I wouldn't make it give a bonus; if I wanted that, I'd probably just user Higher Purpose (Charm Maker), Natural Caster (Charms Only, -x%) or something.
That makes sense; I was just pointing out other possible applications. Sometimes they turn out to be something.

Free Stuff:
Dungeon Action!
Totem Spirits

My Blog: Above the Flatline.
Humabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 02:25 PM   #75
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Here's a little perk that might be interesting:

Natural Charmer - You are a natural at making charms and do not suffer any penalties from lacking a workspace kit. 1 point.

Though with the set-up/packing time, it might be more fair to make that 10 points and add the following as the perk:

Natural Charmer (Improvised) - You are a natural at making charms and, when working with no workspace kit, you act as if you had an improvised workspace; when working with an improvised workspace, you are at no penalty. 1 point.
Did you base this off of the Natural Doctor and Psychic Surgery perks from Psionic Powers?

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 03:11 PM   #76
Langy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
Did you base this off of the Natural Doctor and Psychic Surgery perks from Psionic Powers?
Naw - the accessory perk from Power Ups 2: Perks, which is probably the 'generic' version of those two perks.
Old 11-03-2013, 03:16 PM   #77
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Naw - the accessory perk from Power Ups 2: Perks, which is probably the 'generic' version of those two perks.
I'd consider going off those two. One lets you perform surgery without the subject bleeding or even cutting their skin. I'd sat that a perk that lets you ignore the -5 penalty for improvised workspace (and reduces the -10 penalty, to -5 for no workspace) is easily worth a perk (at most).

Become a Patron!
Old 11-03-2013, 03:30 PM   #78
Langy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
I'd consider going off those two. One lets you perform surgery without the subject bleeding or even cutting their skin. I'd sat that a perk that lets you ignore the -5 penalty for improvised workspace (and reduces the -10 penalty, to -5 for no workspace) is easily worth a perk (at most).
True enough; that's why I had the original version be just a perk. I'm not sure I'll keep it, though - especially with my permanent charm house rule, it might be too powerful (though at the moment in my house rules permanent charms are pretty expensive to make - $250 per point of energy in the spell or so at TL8).
Old 11-03-2013, 03:35 PM   #79
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
True enough; that's why I had the original version be just a perk. I'm not sure I'll keep it, though - especially with my permanent charm house rule, it might be too powerful (though at the moment in my house rules permanent charms are pretty expensive to make - $250 per point of energy in the spell or so at TL8).
Consider allowing it to work with permanent charms (or whatever you call them), but putting the penalty back at -10, that way in your baseline system you cannot make permanent charms without a work space or at least a improvised one, but with this perk you can.

Become a Patron!
Old 11-04-2017, 08:10 PM   #80
Shostak

What might a reasonable cost for an advantage--let's call it Mana Conductor--that allows one to gather twice the normal energy from each gathering roll?

Compartmentalized Mind would allow two gatherings per turn, each with their own separate rolls and thus chances for quirks and botches, so, at first glance, one might think Mana Conductor should cost more than Compartmentalized Mind. But Compartmentalized Mind is not so limited in what it can be used for than Mana Conductor is. This suggests that Mana Conductor might reasonably cost less. And yet, it would be a mighty advantage to possess.
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ritual path magic, rpm