Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 03-29-2007, 08:45 AM   #1
runnyeye

Default Munchkin Gender

I'm a newbie Munchkin player so please bare with me.....I didn't see anything in the rules to specify what gender you are. In the game, are you your actual gender or the gender of the picture on your race card?
runnyeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 09:14 AM   #2
morleydotes
Moderator Emeritus

Default Re: Munchkin Gender

Quote:
Originally Posted by runnyeye
I'm a newbie Munchkin player so please bare with me.....I didn't see anything in the rules to specify what gender you are. In the game, are you your actual gender or the gender of the picture on your race card?
Your gender.

Pat
morleydotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 11:20 AM   #3
AhJong0

I think it actually says in the rules that the Munchkin characters are the sex of the player.

On a similar topic do any other groups "swap" race and class cards so that they're the same as your gender? e.g. there are two clerics in play, one character is male, the other is female. The male character has a female cleric card and vice versa. We always try to swap whenever possible just so that you can look the part as much as possible :D
Old 03-29-2007, 12:32 PM   #4
MunchkinMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by runnyeye
You didn't see this line?:

Your character’s sex starts off the same as your own.

It's a one-sentence paragraph, and the second paragraph, under the Character Stats section.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 01:20 PM   #5
runnyeye

I must have overlooked this. Thanks for the heads up...
runnyeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 08:22 PM   #6
IBeChris

Quote:
Originally Posted by AhJong0
On a similar topic do any other groups "swap" race and class cards so that they're the same as your gender? e.g. there are two clerics in play, one character is male, the other is female. The male character has a female cleric card and vice versa. We always try to swap whenever possible just so that you can look the part as much as possible :D
We prefer to taunt those peeps with opposite sex race/class cards because it adds to the overall silliness of the game. Plus it takes the sting out of that last curse I threw on you so you now have tiny hands and huge feet plus a chicked on your head!

But you look good and the Hireling in the french maid outfit just adds to the eye candy! LOL
IBeChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 07:32 AM   #7
AhJong0

Yeah the GUAL "Kill the Hireling" card never comes as easily when its the surprisingly strong french maid!
Old 03-30-2007, 10:23 PM   #8
RevBob

This is one of the benefits to the incorporation of miniatures or Cardboard Heroes into the play: especially with the Munchkin CH sheet, keeping track of your current gender is as easy as swapping a male standup for a female one. (Naturally, I make it a point to tease my M-to-F-changed players by replacing their standup with the French maid hireling, for much the same reasons that have already been discussed.)

Looking for a St. Aosbczkcs medal.
RevBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 08:51 PM   #9
Gaming_Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevBob
This is one of the benefits to the incorporation of miniatures or Cardboard Heroes into the play: especially with the Munchkin CH sheet, keeping track of your current gender is as easy as swapping a male standup for a female one. (Naturally, I make it a point to tease my M-to-F-changed players by replacing their standup with the French maid hireling, for much the same reasons that have already been discussed.)
A Munchkin Cardboard Heroes sheet? Where is this from?

And for the benefit of my own gaming group, some of which have trouble remembering swapped genders, and some who are not easily labeled 'male' or 'female' at the start of the game, I've made some gender cards, with the Munchkin from the basic game box on a blue background on one side, and the Unnatural Axe gal on a pink background on the reverse. That way you just have to look at the card by a player to know whether he should use the Gentleman's Club or if She can wield the Broad Sword.

(There's also been some comments in my group about making a Curse:Transgendered card, and having a house rule that players could choose to start out affected by that curse. But I keep telling them that the game is supposed to be simple to play, and turning the two-gender system into a four-gender system (Male, Female, 'Both,' 'Neither') is just too much complication.)
Gaming_Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 10:48 PM   #10
MunchkinMan

The Munchkin Cardboard Heroes sheet comes with the Munchkin Master's Screen, just like it says it does on the description of same.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote