Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-21-2015, 04:54 AM   #11
Icelander

Default Re: Femme Fu

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
Don't you think pricing as skill-specific Technique is rather harsh compared to what can be bought for a similar price? Surely things like Sure-Footed (Uneven) [1] are way more point-worthy than being able to negate a penalty that you only inflict on yourself for ęsthetic reasons? In fact, Exotic Weapon Training seems to deal with that sort of penalty for weird/inconvenient weapons. Or Shield Wall Training. And they're each [1].
Ironically, I've split up Shield Wall Training in my campaigns and I use Techniques in place of Exotic Weapon Training.

I agree that realistic settings might have harsh pricing for abilities which are cheap in cinematic ones, though. To take an example, compare the Extra Option Perk. In settings where it is allowed, characters can buy a wide range of abilities for 1 point each.

To take a random example, Bulletproof Nudity, which is +1 to +3 to Active Defences under certain conditions, usually fairly easy to arrange. Priced as Enhanced Defences with a Limitation, that's up to two orders of magnitude more expensive.

In games where the clothing of characters is a special effect, High-Heeled Heroine makes perfect sense as a Perk. In settings where points in trained abilities correlate on some level with the difficulty of learning them, however, training to perform atheletic feats in high-heels is prohibitively difficult and thus extremely expensive.

If it's a realistic setting, there's no requirement that things that are difficult to learn are necessarily all that useful. In a purely realistic TL8 setting, 24 points in Gunner (Catapult) are not necessarily a better investment for combat encounters than 4 points in Guns, 4 in Stealth and 4 points in Tactics.
Old 08-21-2015, 05:10 AM   #12
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
Ironically, I've split up Shield Wall Training in my campaigns and I use Techniques in place of Exotic Weapon Training.

I agree that realistic settings might have harsh pricing for abilities which are cheap in cinematic ones, though. To take an example, compare the Extra Option Perk. In settings where it is allowed, characters can buy a wide range of abilities for 1 point each.

To take a random example, Bulletproof Nudity, which is +1 to +3 to Active Defences under certain conditions, usually fairly easy to arrange. Priced as Enhanced Defences with a Limitation, that's up to two orders of magnitude more expensive.

In games where the clothing of characters is a special effect, High-Heeled Heroine makes perfect sense as a Perk. In settings where points in trained abilities correlate on some level with the difficulty of learning them, however, training to perform atheletic feats in high-heels is prohibitively difficult and thus extremely expensive.

If it's a realistic setting, there's no requirement that things that are difficult to learn are necessarily all that useful. In a purely realistic TL8 setting, 24 points in Gunner (Catapult) are not necessarily a better investment for combat encounters than 4 points in Guns, 4 in Stealth and 4 points in Tactics.
I deliberately picked non-cinematic advantages (perks). I suppose I could throw in OHWT too. Did you turn it back into a Technique in your games? Because (a) it is realistic and (b) it was turned into a Perk specifically because it was overpriced as a Technique.

Also, my protests against Extra Option: Bulletproff Nudity were precisely because it compares too well to normal Enhanced Defence prices.

In general, something needs to be Technique-priced if it's that much better than just buying up skill, point for point.
Old 08-21-2015, 05:12 AM   #13
Wavefunction

Quote:
I tend to verge on things being priced for utility, I'd overhall the entire skills system to work on that basis if it wasn't a ridiculous amount of time to invest on something that works acceptably well as it stands.

For High-Heeled Heroine I'd simply disallow it in a realistic game, or allow a version that halves penalties instead of removing them. Or at least, that's what I'd do if the feedback I get is that it's completely unrealistic. As it stands it only removes penalties to attack and defend, it doesn't spontaneously allow walking on soft, muddy ground in heels with no problems, or other such effects. I know that there are a number of martial arts styles where the combatant spends most of their time on their toes, if someone specifically trained to fight in heels, I don't know how easy it would be to eliminate the penalty.
Wavefunction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 05:12 AM   #14
Sam Baughn

Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and some other bits.

Some Femme Fatales seem to have weirdly tough and sharp nails. Possibly represent that with an Iron Body Parts perk which gives a bonus to lethal strikes? Not sure if it should be a skill bonus, a damage bonus or both. Also add Lethal Strike to the cinematic technique list.

Skill Adaptation to use an Intimidation move with Sex Appeal would make sense, but the only suitable combat uses for Intimidation which I can find rules for (Provoking an Attack and Distraction from Social Engineering) already allow you to use Sex Appeal.

Acting and Stealth seem like they should be optional skills. Being sneaky is a big part of the Femme Fatale personality.

Callous and Sadism should probably be on the optional Disadvantage list.

Not sure why Hammer Fist is on the list of techniques. Doesn't seem like an especially common move.

For a Xenia Onatopp style crushing thigh attack, maybe Special Exercises (Constriction Attack) might be appropriate?
Sam Baughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 05:19 AM   #15
Wavefunction

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
Also, my protests against Extra Option: Bulletproff Nudity were precisely because it compares too well to normal Enhanced Defence prices.

In general, something needs to be Technique-priced if it's that much better than just buying up skill, point for point.
It is very cheap, but it might be valid in a campaign that's already pretty damn cinematic, and is only accessible to Femme Fu stylists.
Old 08-21-2015, 05:30 AM   #16
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavefunction View Post
It is very cheap, but it might be valid in a campaign that's already pretty damn cinematic, and is only accessible to Femme Fu stylists.
Sure. It's not potentially problematic or unbalancing in any way, because all it does is make an aesthetic choice that in the real world has adverse effects on performance not matter for the character.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a game where capes don't get stuck in doors or grabbed by enemies, dominos masks are reliable disguises even against people who know you well and stiletto heels work as well for fancy footwork as bare feet. It's a different feel from a realistic game, but that doesn't make it worse.
Old 08-21-2015, 05:38 AM   #17
Wavefunction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Organism View Post
Some Femme Fatales seem to have weirdly tough and sharp nails. Possibly represent that with an Iron Body Parts perk which gives a bonus to lethal strikes? Not sure if it should be a skill bonus, a damage bonus or both. Also add Lethal Strike to the cinematic technique list.
Will do. I'd say the Iron Nails Perk probably allows the owner to ignore nail breakage, and make Cutting Attacks at -2 to damage, or -1 per die if worse, with a (0.5) Armour Divisor, and only for appropriate techniques, no Uppercuts or Two-Handed Punches. It also allows humans to purchase the Long Thumbs perk.

Quote:
Skill Adaptation to use an Intimidation move with Sex Appeal would make sense, but the only suitable combat uses for Intimidation which I can find rules for (Provoking an Attack and Distraction from Social Engineering) already allow you to use Sex Appeal.
I think I'll just add Intimidation to the Optional Skills list, it's completely appropriate for a femme fatale.

Quote:
Acting and Stealth seem like they should be optional skills. Being sneaky is a big part of the Femme Fatale personality.
I'll consider them, though I'm not completely convinced. There are very few skills int he original Martial Arts book that include Stealth, even as an optional skill. I will add Acting though.

Quote:
Callous and Sadism should probably be on the optional Disadvantage list.
I'll add Callous. Not Sadism, not really the feel I'm going for, you could certainly play a character who knows this style who has Sadism, but I don't think it's common enough to be an optional trait.

Quote:
Not sure why Hammer Fist is on the list of techniques. Doesn't seem like an especially common move.
Hammer Fist simply represents an open-handed slap, reduced damage, less chance of hurting oneself.

Quote:
For a Xenia Onatopp style crushing thigh attack, maybe Special Exercises (Constriction Attack) might be appropriate?
Possibly, though I'm more inclined to add a Perk that allows the individual to count as 1 SM larger for the purposes of Lower-Body Grapples.
Old 08-21-2015, 05:39 AM   #18
Wavefunction

Quote:
Sure. It's not potentially problematic or unbalancing in any way, because all it does is make an aesthetic choice that in the real world has adverse effects on performance not matter for the character.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a game where capes don't get stuck in doors or grabbed by enemies, dominos masks are reliable disguises even against people who know you well and stiletto heels work as well for fancy footwork as bare feet. It's a different feel from a realistic game, but that doesn't make it worse.
That was in reference to Vicky's comment on Extra Option (Bulletproof Nudity), which certainly does have the potential to be unbalancing. I have no issue with make High-Heeled Heroine a perk.
Old 08-21-2015, 05:48 AM   #19
NineDaysDead
Banned

Quote:
I've never seen any indication that it's supposed to be.

Realistically, training can probably mitigate the penalties inherent in wearing a particular type of unsuitable footwear for a given activity, but never to the extent that the character can run, jump or fight equally well while wearing high-heels as when wearing sport shoes. Same Move is also right out.
Quote:
"Sure he was great, but don't forget that Ginger Rogers did everything he did, ...backwards and in high heels."

This message is too short
NineDaysDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 05:51 AM   #20
Icelander

NineDaysDead, that very quote implies that to perform the same feats in high heels as without them requires higher skill.

Tags
martial arts, martial arts style