Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-04-2015, 04:54 AM   #1
Onkl

Default [DF] Double-Shot / Adjacent Hex?

Hey guys

How have you handled the Double-Shot advantage from DF11:32 in your games?

Since it is built as a Dual-Weapon Attack, going by the Basic Set, the attacked targets would have to be in the same or an adjacent hex. Yet in the descriptive text of the ability nowhere is it mentioned that the foes have to be in adjacent or the same hex.

Thus my question: How have you handled Double-Shot in your games?

Cheers

Onkl

Last edited by Onkl; 06-04-2015 at 05:44 AM. Reason: clarification
Onkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 05:14 AM   #2
Wavefunction

Default Re: [DF] Double-Shot / Adjacent Hex?

I'd say the arrow arrow that travels the furthest has to pass through the same hex, or a hex adjacent to the closest target. You roll separately for each attack as usual, with each taking it's own separate range modifiers.
Wavefunction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 11:30 AM   #3
Varyon

The requirement that foes be in adjacent hexes applies only to melee attacks, which a bow shot notably is not. The way I see it, particularly for something as cinematic as DF, so long as both targets are in your front arc, you can attack both of them. You'll need Enhanced Tracking to Aim at more than one of them, however.
Varyon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 10:40 PM   #4
evileeyore
Banned

I also don't make that requirement for melee, I require that there is no hex facing change between attacks. I also allow the Players to treat pole weapons as "two weapons" using both ends.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 04:21 AM   #5
Onkl

I think I'll have to scratch the "adjacent" hex rule in my cinematic games and go with the stuff you implemented. The front arc makes sense, also the "not change facing" rule for melee makes sense as well.

Thanks all for your comments, they are very much appreciated!

Cheers!

Onkl

Last edited by Onkl; 06-09-2015 at 09:26 AM.
Onkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 05:45 AM   #6
Bruno

Playing an archer with Double-Shot, I don't think I ever shot at two different targets with Double-Shot; the defense penalty and the chance to overwhelm their defenses with volume of fire are just too attractive.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 07:23 AM   #7
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
I also don't make that requirement for melee, I require that there is no hex facing change between attacks. I also allow the Players to treat pole weapons as "two weapons" using both ends.
Personally, I consider there to be two different versions of Dual (or Multi) Weapon Attack. One is basically just a Rapid Strike that alternates which hand (or which end of the weapon) is used between attacks and has no special rules; it's Rapid Strike with a lower penalty. The other is actually attacking with two weapons at the same time - it uses only one attack roll (with RoF equal to the number of attacks and Rcl depending on Ambi/Multidexterity, hit location, and so forth), and if used on the same foe he gets one defense roll (success negates MoS+1 hits) and doesn't allow anything to be done between attacks (as there is no "between attacks").

With a bow double shot, however, a character would have no choice but to take the latter option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
Playing an archer with Double-Shot, I don't think I ever shot at two different targets with Double-Shot; the defense penalty and the chance to overwhelm their defenses with volume of fire are just too attractive.
Yeah, splitting shots is mostly going to be useful against Mooks. If there are foes that have high Blocks, however, it could prove worthwhile to split so that you force two of them to waste their Blocks, allowing your higher-damage allies to have a better chance to get through. And if you've got flaming arrows or similar, catching two shields on fire is always better than one.

Last edited by Varyon; 06-05-2015 at 07:27 AM.
Varyon is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
dual-weapon attack, dungeon fantasy, martial arts