Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-05-2016, 11:12 PM   #171
Michael Thayne

Default Re: GURPS Powers: The Weird

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
It's hard to provide comprehensive guidelines for that in the space of a short ability definition, but yes, that would be a plausible way to approach this. If you change your dimensions by a factor of 2 you're as dense as steel, which isn't much of a problem, though you may sink into soft soil, and you won't be able to swim. At a factor of 5 you're denser than any chemically bonded material. At a factor of 10 you have 1000x human density, and exert 100x as much pressure.

Wikipedia says a typical human foot has a surface area of 100 square centimeters. At a factor of 10 that diminishes to 1 square centimeter. Given human body mass on the order of 100 kg, you'll be inflicting 1000 N per square centimeter when you're on one foot, or 10 million N per square meter. That's enough to damage some forms of bricks or concrete, but won't affect rock.
So, based on some googling, that looks like 1450 PSI, which probably exceeds the strength of a typical wood floor. Maybe look up "cover DR" of whatever you're standing on, if your armor divisor would reduce its DR to 0, it can't support your weight? That seems harsh at first (wood only has about 1 DR/inch), but I don't think I'd count on a 2x4 to support something denser than any earthly material.
Michael Thayne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 01:28 PM   #172
Klark

Default Re: GURPS Powers: The Weird

The Automata style includes some guidelines for determining an invention's complexity rating. However, it looks like there are actually two complexity tracks: one for the power source/requirements and another for how it reacts to the world (if at all). How is this best handled? Should I a) have fantastic reactive automata require two separate inventing sequences, or b) use the higher complexity rating? Both have their own issue (one doubles time/costs and is the only example of an invention requiring two rolls, and the other promotes "in for a penny, in for a pound" mentality), so I wanted some advice from the source

Also hooray for necroposting.
Klark is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
powers, the weird