Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-20-2015, 08:20 PM   #11
EskrimadorNC

Default Re: Need some help with hand-to-hand combat/Martial Arts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuba View Post
Keep in mind that the guy with Boxing-20 probably has some points into Health and DX, increasing his base dodge, and the guy with Boxing-11 is taking telegraphic attacks just to have a chance of hitting the face.
Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that the Boxing 20 and Boxing 11 guys are fighting each other.

And all other things being equal (Say DX 12, HT 12, BS 6, Dodge 9), both Boxers in the above example can dodge the punches from a JKD Guy (Karate-14) at the same exact chance for success:

Boxing-11 guy dodges on a 9 or lower (12 or lower on a retreat)
Boxing-20 guy dodges on a 9 or lower (12 or lower on a retreat)

I'll stop beating a dead horse now. It's basically outside the scope of GURPS. Non-contact defenses that are effective against strikes AND scale with skill level do not exist in this game. It's cool. I just have to come to terms with it.

Quote:
Yeah, you could even add telegraphic to the knee, to signify "winding-up" the knee as you grapple the torso.
Gotcha. That's very good to know. It adds a lot of flexibility to Combos and rapid strikes.

Quote:
You can actually grapple the groin. See Testicle Grab, on page 40 of Technical Grappling.

But as stated in Martial Arts, p. 118, a grapple to the torso suffices to Grab and Smash: the torso, vitals, groin or spine.
Thanks for the clarity. No clue how I missed that, but yeah, it all makes sense.

All in all, I think GURPS does a much better job of modeling real-world unarmed combat better than any other game system I've ever played. I'm very happy with how these rule sets work out.
EskrimadorNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 08:23 PM   #12
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Originally Posted by EskrimadorNC View Post
And all other things being equal (Say DX 12, HT 12, BS 6, Dodge 9), both Boxers in the above example can dodge the punches from a JKD Guy (Karate-14) at the same exact chance for success:

Boxing-11 guy dodges on a 9 or lower (12 or lower on a retreat)
Boxing-20 guy dodges on a 9 or lower (12 or lower on a retreat)
However, Boxing - 20 guy can parry on a 13 without retreating. Keep in mind that what you call blocking in boxing would be a parry in GURPS terms, so, such an action is quite likely.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 08:26 PM   #13
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereidalbel View Post
However, Boxing - 20 guy can parry on a 13 without retreating. Keep in mind that what you call blocking in boxing would be a parry in GURPS terms, so, such an action is quite likely.
I get what he's saying though - he's looking for a way to have skill be reflected in the ability to just not be there to move (Dodge) around blows, rather than Parry. Bob and Weave - basically a trained skill.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 08:28 PM   #14
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
I get what he's saying though - he's looking for a way to have skill be reflected in the ability to just not be there to move (Dodge) around blows, rather than Parry. Bob and Weave - basically a trained skill.
That would be reflected as buying Enhanced Dodge, and justifying it with the GM as being based on your training.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 09:14 PM   #15
Dustin

Quote:
Are there any mechanics in GURPS for a Stun in unarmed or armed combat that does not result in falling prone?
Nothing in the rules that I'm aware of, but we've been toying with a houserule that you need to miss your Knockdown & Stunning HT roll by 3 to actually fall down, to get that "standing stunned" effect.
Old 07-20-2015, 10:24 PM   #16
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
I wonder if you could have a dodge skill derived from an unarmed skill? It doesn't LOOK like it would break anything right away.

Edit: Consider perhaps a Skill Adaptation perk. Something like Skill Adaptation ([Skill] Parries require no contact) and then treat it as a fencing parry for multiple parries. So the first is at -0, the second -2, the third -4, and so on. Trained by a Master shortens it to a mere -1 per parry after the first.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!

Last edited by Christopher R. Rice; 07-20-2015 at 10:50 PM.
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 11:00 PM   #17
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

If you want a Skill that benefits Dodge, look at Acrobatics.
Old 07-20-2015, 11:01 PM   #18
Kuba

Quote:
I'll stop beating a dead horse now. It's basically outside the scope of GURPS. Non-contact defenses that are effective against strikes AND scale with skill level do not exist in this game. It's cool. I just have to come to terms with it.
There is one no-handed trained defence, called a "Hands-Free Parry" on p. 22 of Technical Grappling, which is similar to what you're looking for, except it's only meant to work against grappling. It probably wouldn't be too imbalanced to allow it against strikes, as it counts as a two handed parry (unlike boxing, karate and judo parries).
Kuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 01:13 AM   #19
scc

*Bangs head*

The GURPS Skill Judo is ALL about throws, it isn't the RL martial arts of the same name, and has nothing to do with holding your opponent
scc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 01:49 AM   #20
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by scc View Post
*Bangs head*

The GURPS Skill Judo is ALL about throws, it isn't the RL martial arts of the same name, and has nothing to do with holding your opponent
Judo the skill is actually quite good at initiating the hold of your opponent. If you have the actual Judo style, you can also take the Power Grappling Perk and be very good at maintaining said hold . . . or breaking out of enemy holds. (And in TG, you get the Trained ST benefit.)

Tags
martial arts, rapid strike, technical grappling