Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-24-2015, 05:50 PM   #41
Anthony

Default Re: [MA] Retreat to Slip behind

I am somewhat inclined to change most 'no defense' situations to 'defend at -4'. Probably including All-Out Attack. The basic problem is that no defense at all is a bit too high a penalty. Consider two skill 18 combatants with combat reflexes (parry 13)
Frontal Attack: deceptive attack -2 is 16 vs 12 (32%), deceptive attack -6 is 12 vs 10 (38%). A skull attack is 11 vs 13 (11.7%)
Side Attack: deceptive attack -2 is 16 vs 10 (54%), deceptive attack -4 is 14 vs 9 (47%). A skull attack is 11 vs 11 (25%)
Rear Attack: a telegraphic rapid strike is two attacks at 16 against no defense, a telegraphic skull attack is one attack at 17 against no defense. Either way, 98% hit probability.

Overall, the rear attack is nearly 4x better than the side attack, while the side attack is only 50-60% better than the front attack.
Old 03-24-2015, 06:03 PM   #42
GodBeastX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
I am somewhat inclined to change most 'no defense' situations to 'defend at -4'. Probably including All-Out Attack. The basic problem is that no defense at all is a bit too high a penalty.
I've kind of felt the same way, except I'd have gone a higher negative. It's mostly the all-out attack gets no defense scenario that bugs me.
GodBeastX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 09:30 AM   #43
Captain Joy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
I am somewhat inclined to change most 'no defense' situations to 'defend at -4'. Probably including All-Out Attack. The basic problem is that no defense at all is a bit too high a penalty.
Looking at the Committed Attack option from GURPS Martial Arts, p. 99-100 my be illuminating. Committed Attack (Melee) Determined allows for a +2 to hit at the cost of not being able to defend at all with the weapon/body part you used to attack, and at -2 otherwise (and no Retreat allowed).

If we assume a linear progression, then one could argue that you may take a +1 to hit for every -1 to your defense that you're willing to give up. We could simply have a Determined Attack option (like Telegraphic Attack [MA113]) and drop the All-Out Attack (Melee) Determined and Committed Attack (Melee) Determined maneuvers.

Determined Attack (Melee)
Replaces the rules for All-Out Attack (Melee) Determined [B365] and Committed Attack (Melee) Determined [MA99-100].

For every +1 to your attack, you accept a -1 to your defenses. Additionally, you may not use the weapon or body part you used to attack with to defend at all, and you may not retreat.

EDIT: See posts below for good ideas to include restrictions in movement aw well.

It will surprise me not a bit to learn I'm not the first to suggest this.

Last edited by Captain Joy; 04-05-2015 at 07:10 PM. Reason: added fine print, added "option" and "maneuvers"
Captain Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 09:34 AM   #44
aesir23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Joy View Post

Replaces the rules for All-Out Attack (Melee) Determined [B365] and Committed Attack (Melee) Determined [MA99-100].

For every +1 to your attack, you accept a -1 to your defenses. Additionally, you may not use the weapon or body party you used to attack with to defend at all, and you may not retreat.

I quite like this!! It makes a lot more sense that these would be some sort of continuum rather than a binary (or trinary) system.
aesir23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 09:48 AM   #45
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Looking at the Committed Attack option from GURPS Martial Arts, p. 99-100 my be illuminating. Committed Attack (Melee) Determined allows for a +2 to hit at the cost of not being able to defend at all with the weapon/body part you used to attack, and at -2 otherwise (and no Retreat allowed).

If we assume a linear progression, then one could argue that you may take a +1 to hit for every -1 to your defense that you're willing to give up. We could simply have a Determined Attack option (like Telegraphic Attack [MA113]) and drop the All-Out Attack (Melee) Determined and Committed Attack (Melee) Determined maneuvers.

For every +1 to your attack, you accept a -1 to your defenses. Additionally, you may not use the weapon or body party you used to attack with to defend at all, and you may not retreat.

You really need to address the movement. Committed Attack's two-step option and All Out Attack's forward half-move are very important aspects.
Old 03-25-2015, 09:56 AM   #46
Varyon

Quote:

I like it, but it needs some qualifiers. First off, it needs a limit of some sort, so that a character can't get a ridiculous bonus in cases where he doesn't need to defend himself. +4 to hit seems a decent cap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
You really need to address the movement. Committed Attack's two-step option and All Out Attack's forward half-move are very important aspects.
It might be appropriate to allow characters to take -2 to defense for +1 Step. This would set a half-move All Out Attack at something like -8 to defense - +4 to attack gives -4, +2 Steps gives another -4. Again, you'll want to cap it - half Move (typically +2 Steps) is probably the limit here.
Varyon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
martial arts