Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-22-2018, 03:03 PM   #1
codywc

Default Skill Question?

Hello i am new to gurps and am just learning the rules so i can run it with me group. I just had a few questions? do the skills automatically start at the blue leveled default?

for example guns being it saying guns Relative Level being DX-4 as a default, would it become DX-3 as i have 12 for the attribute?

thank you and i look forward to hearing back from anyone who may be able to help me out
codywc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 03:14 PM   #2
Kelly Pedersen

Default Re: Skill Question?

Quote:
Originally Posted by codywc View Post
Hello i am new to gurps and am just learning the rules so i can run it with me group.
Welcome to GURPS! Hope you have fun and stay awhile! :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by codywc
do the skills automatically start at the blue leveled default?

for example guns being it saying guns Relative Level being DX-4 as a default, would it become DX-3 as i have 12 for the attribute?
Skills do start at the default, but skill level is always relative to the attributes you actually have on the character. So Guns, with a default of DX-4, would give you a default skill level of 8 if you have DX 12. If you later raised DX to 13 (and still didn't put any points into Guns), your skill would go up to 9 (13-4).

Your level in a skill is what you're trying to roll equal to or less than on 3d in order to succeed.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 03:18 PM   #3
Anaraxes

The default value is the value you have in the skill if you haven't trained in it at all. (That is, 0 character points (CP) spent on the skill.) If you have a DX of 12, and a skill says it defaults to DX-4, then you have a value of 8 in the skill.

When you actually buy a skill, it will start at the level given by the number of CP you spend on a skill, the skill's difficulty, and the attribute that (usually) governs that skill. (That's the chart on page B170. I usually remember it as an Average skill with 2 CP equals your attribute.) This is usually a jump up from the default value. 1 CP in a DX/Average skill would give you a value of 11 (continuing with the example of DX 12). You'll notice that the 1-CP skill levels range from Attribute+0 to Attribute-2, whereas defaults normally range from Attribute-4 to Attribute-6. You don't buy a skill up from the default value in +1 increments.

Occasionally, you'll see a rule that requires actual training for some use of a skill. Also, skills don't double-default. That is, you can't get a skill by using the default value from a skill that itself is a default. Defaults only take you one step away from a skill that you've trained, or one of your attributes.

Last edited by Anaraxes; 04-22-2018 at 03:49 PM.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 03:19 PM   #4
codywc

Thank you, that made it alot easier to understand compared to what i read in the book
codywc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 03:24 PM   #5
Gollum

Quote:
Originally Posted by codywc View Post
Hello i am new to gurps and am just learning the rules so i can run it with me group. I just had a few questions? do the skills automatically start at the blue leveled default?

thank you and i look forward to hearing back from anyone who may be able to help me out
Hello and welcome to GURPS!

I don't really understand what you mean by "blue level".

In GURPS, when you learn a skill, you buy your skill level following the Skill Cost Table (Basic Set, Characters, page 170 or GURPS Lite, page 13).

If you want Guns (pistol) for instance, and have DX 12, since GURPS is an Easy skill, the point cost will depend on the level you exactly want.
  • Attribute +0, that is DX+0, that is 12: 1 CP
  • Attribute +1, that is DX+1, that is 13, 2 CP
  • Attribute +2, that is DX+2, that is 14, 4 CP
  • Attribute +3, that is DX+3, that is 15, 8 CP
  • Attribute +4, that is DX+4, that is 16, 12 CP
  • Attribute +5, that is DX+5, that is 17, 16 CP
  • And so on.
If you don't buy that skill but, during the adventure, want to use a pistol, you are using it at Default level. The Default level depends on each skill and is noted in its description. For Guns, it is DX-4. It means, that to use a pistol without having spent CP on the skill your skill level is DX - 4 that is 12 - 4 = 8.

I warmly recommend you to download and read GURPS Lite first if you didn't do it yet. It explains the rules in 32 pages only. So it is the best introduction to the game.

Have fun!
Edit
Wow! All those answers while I was typing mine!

Last edited by Gollum; 04-22-2018 at 03:31 PM.
Gollum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 03:55 PM   #6
Anaraxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gollum View Post
I warmly recommend you to download and read GURPS Lite first if you didn't do it yet.
GURPS Lite is a free PDF from SJ Games, available on their website, Warehouse 23. Here's a link. It is a nice summary and starting point.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote