Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-20-2018, 07:40 PM   #1
Devil_Dante

Default cyberpunk implants price, advantage cost VS Ultra tech cost

i'm starting a cyberpunk campaign with my friends, and it is the first time for them playing GURPS and i'm planning to create pre-determinated cybernetic enhancments. I was looking at Ultra tech for references. At page 210 i ve found the "Boosted reflexes" implant. There are some things i don t get:
1)it gives +2 basic speed, using 2 FP for 18 points.. now, Basic speed is 5 points per 0.25, basically, 20 points per +1 basic speed, so it should cost 40 points less 10%, so 36 points. Why it s only 18?
2)Even if it would have cost 18 points, from the rules of basic set, one point should be worth 1000$, but this implant, with the surgery, costs only 9000$ (while only major surgery should cost 10000$). I don t really have any clue about this price choice. I can understand that make it cost 36000$ plus 10000$ of surgery is way too high, but 9000$ is way too low.
On the other hand, Accelerated reflexes, p212, radical procedure (100000$ of surgery), for 20 points, only cost 50000$

So, based on this one, how should i priced the implants? I was thinking to use basic set rules, how i said above: 1 CP = 1000$
But in this way the prices are generally too high especially compared to the prices in the Ultra tech book.

Is there any way to generalize the cost? If i want to create something that costs, for example, 20 CP, should i priced it 20000$?

thanks for answers
Devil_Dante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 07:54 PM   #2
Jarreth

Default Re: cyberpunk implants price, advantage cost VS Ultra tech cost

Re: Boosted Reflexes should be +1 Speed not +2 accordingly to the errata: "P. 210. Under "Boosted Reflexes," change the Basic Speed bonus to +1."

http://www.sjgames.com/errata/gurps/4e/ultra-tech.html

If it were me I would base the cost in $ on the point value. Then you can always modify it if its second hand or has a malfunction value or sale or what your need might be. The cost of the procedure (implanting it, recovery, etc) I would add to the cost of the cybernetic itself.
Jarreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 08:31 PM   #3
Kelly Pedersen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil_Dante View Post
So, based on this one, how should i priced the implants? I was thinking to use basic set rules, how i said above: 1 CP = 1000$
But in this way the prices are generally too high especially compared to the prices in the Ultra tech book.
Actually, a quick skim of Ultra-Tech suggests that most of the prices there are actually more expensive than the "$1000 per point" rule in Basic would suggest - there are a few exceptions, but it seems to largely hold true. Unfortunately, I can't work out if there's a consistent price scheme involved in the cyberware in Ultra-Tech. Nonetheless, I'd use those prices over the Basic Set one, personally - the Basic Set "$1000 per point" rule is intended as a basic rule of thumb, I think, something to quickly set a price when you need it fast. It would be superseded by specific, presumably more thought-out prices, as in Ultra-Tech.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 04:02 AM   #4
Devil_Dante

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarreth View Post
Re: Boosted Reflexes should be +1 Speed not +2 accordingly to the errata: "P. 210. Under "Boosted Reflexes," change the Basic Speed bonus to +1."

http://www.sjgames.com/errata/gurps/4e/ultra-tech.html
have not thought to FAQ at all!! thanks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Pedersen View Post
Actually, a quick skim of Ultra-Tech suggests that most of the prices there are actually more expensive than the "$1000 per point" rule in Basic would suggest - there are a few exceptions, but it seems to largely hold true. Unfortunately, I can't work out if there's a consistent price scheme involved in the cyberware in Ultra-Tech. Nonetheless, I'd use those prices over the Basic Set one, personally - the Basic Set "$1000 per point" rule is intended as a basic rule of thumb, I think, something to quickly set a price when you need it fast. It would be superseded by specific, presumably more thought-out prices, as in Ultra-Tech.
ye, it sounds right, but there is a huge different between one price and another, and it is especially true for higher cost implants.
Ultra tech looks like has 500$ per point and is not considered the surgery into the final price.. considering "extra attack" implant: should cost 120.000$, instead it only costs 50.000$.
We can agree that the cost change a lot the avaiability and the possibility that a Pc will buy it
Old 03-21-2018, 06:14 AM   #5
smurf
Banned

For the sake of simplicity for all abilities used a character creation treat as 'free'.

It's the additional abilities you will need to worry about, after creation.
smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 09:11 AM   #6
Devil_Dante

I v finally set the priced based on this site hints: https://edgerunners.obsidianportal.com/

This is an awesome source. The price is divided by LC. The LC4 is 500$ per point. LC is 1000$, LC2 is 1500$ and LC1 is 2000$.

Now,i was thinking about customize weapons and tools. Set the price, the 20% is spent in materials. But about time needed and modifiers for skill check? Is there any source somewhere?