Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V. > Ogre Video Game

Old 03-12-2018, 07:38 PM   #11
selenite

Default Re: Update 1.5.13.3?

I'll have gripes about the computer game but it's working well for me overall. I have two games running now, about one day per turn each. It's fun. Well worth what I paid for it.

Yes, there are glitches. Quitting the game and restarting cures them. I can live with that.
selenite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 07:23 AM   #12
Blue Ghost

Given all the negative online gaming experiences I've had in the last several years, Ogre is refreshing. I'm sorry it has the bugs that it does, and that there aren't any MP games going on right now, but I've long waited for computer ports of all of the classic ziplock and micrograms from the 70s and 80s that I grew up with.

Eh, I think the trend of releasing and patching that occurred in the late 90s was unfortunate, and I could go on a huge diatribe about the practice, but Ogre is working okay for me. Hopefully the MP issues will get sorted out, and that this'll be a trend for classic games.
Blue Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 07:57 AM   #13
Deimos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack_JB View Post
To be fair, Tim, you seem in some ways to expect this game to be some other game. Yes, there are bugs, but it plays Ogre perfectly well. If Scenario Creator breaks with your attempts to go all out with it, the game itself still works as it pretty much should. You also seem to have the same view of the cardboard version of the game in that it too should be something it isn't.
Seconded. I'm satisfied with the video game and the progress being made in addressing the bugs. Being in the software industry, my patience and understanding of the post-release patching process and management support of that process is most likely greater than that of most users.

The same goes for the physical game. I barely have the time to enjoy the already SJG published content, and the patience to wait on the announced material.

While I applaud the enthusiasm for sharing fan created material and the enjoyment it may bring to some players, I find the requests for SJG to create and publish some items to be unrealistic with respect to the size of the fan base and possible ROI.
Old 03-14-2018, 12:36 PM   #14
Tim Kauffman

That's all right...lol
Old 03-14-2018, 12:51 PM   #15
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack_JB View Post
To be fair, Tim, you seem in some ways to expect this game to be some other game. Yes, there are bugs, but it plays Ogre perfectly well. If Scenario Creator breaks with your attempts to go all out with it, the game itself still works as it pretty much should. You also seem to have the same view of the cardboard version of the game in that it too should be something it isn't.
This is not entirely true. Tim has very good points about the game being half-baked. There are a number of bugs _in the game_ that are still significant departures from what the rules state. You don't see them a lot in Orange map Ogre scenarios, but you do see them a lot in G.E.V. scenarios; that's my biggest complaint. Ogre is solid, G.E.V is not.

As for the scenario creator, this is an utter failure on almost every level. Even if you fixed all the bugs in the scenario creator (which are substantial, btw), it's still very limited in its use. The whole point of a scenario creator in a publishing environment is so you can share your creations. The sharing mechanism is sub-par at best, which makes it next to useless.

While Tim is perhaps a bit to anecdotal in his complaints, he is not wrong. The game was released too early with too many issues. Any chance we had of getting a thriving PC Ogre community got flushed down the toilet with the lackluster reviews because it was initially near-unplayable at launch.

Don't get me wrong, a LOT has been fixed since launch, but there are a lot of key elements that are still very broken. In my opinion, they bit off more than they could chew and crammed in a lot of half-baked code to get it out the door. Instead of doing Ogre, with G.E.V-ish stuff and a scenario creator all smashed together, it should have been

1. Just Ogre first
2. Scenario Creator
3. G.E.V. as DLC
4. more?

Had they done this, they could have gotten a bullet-proof version of Ogre out the door first to make a good impression that people could actually play and be happy with to rave reviews (at a lower price point) that would have gotten more people playing.

Does it have good elements? yes; but $25 is asking too much of people new to Ogre to spend for something where most of the reviews are "meh." The net result is something that "basically works" if all you do is play Classic Ogre scenarios, but that's still a LONG way off from being a good game.

This isn't asking it to be something it isn't; it's asking it to be what it should be. At a minimum, that's a Solid Ogre/G.E.V. and it isn't even that yet.
Old 03-15-2018, 09:29 AM   #16
Misplaced Buckeye

Perhaps a relaunch of the game mixed in with one of the upcoming KS minis to restore the luster so to speak. Keep the Ogre version as primary and offer the ODE version as a beta to go along with it to not raise the expectation and get even more contributors to the bug list to flesh it out?
Misplaced Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 03:09 PM   #17
Tim Kauffman

Granite Penguin has it right.

For me, it's all far too little far too late.

I refuse to be a victim and be insulted by industry practices that create the sort of environment where companies can release incomplete games and then not have enough active support to even finish them while moving on to other games as they repeat the process. I refuse to accept this state of affairs as a new normal. What was done here was wrong, incorrect, and irresponsible. The game had so many strengths only to be ultimately ruined by lack of effective and active support cascading as a after effect from the games premature release.

I've completely withdrawn my support from This OGRE PC Game. All my Custom Scenarios have been deleted from this train wreck and retained for publishing another day should that day ever come. I deleted the game from my STEAM Library. I deleted my positive Review of the game on STEAM. I was going to take the time to write another updated one considering the recent state of the game, but I've done enough trying to support this broken PC game.

Maybe someday we can have a OGRE PC game that the current one attempts to be, but fails to be. I can wait for that. In the meanwhile, I have the continually growing BoardGame. :)

Just, if there is a next time, make sure the company making the game is up to the task of producing a complete and fully functioning one BEFORE the game launches.
Old 03-19-2018, 09:19 AM   #18
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Also, don't get me wrong. What does work, I'm very happy to have. I'm simply reinforcing that there are some significant areas for improvement that really need to happen to keep the game from fading into obscurity.

If you don't acknowledge what needs to be fixed, you can't fix it. I'm just disappointed because a lot of this negativity could have been avoided. :-(
Old 03-19-2018, 02:11 PM   #19
TheAmishStig

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranitePenguin View Post
Also, don't get me wrong. What does work, I'm very happy to have. I'm simply reinforcing that there are some significant areas for improvement that really need to happen to keep the game from fading into obscurity.

If you don't acknowledge what needs to be fixed, you can't fix it. I'm just disappointed because a lot of this negativity could have been avoided. :-(
Agreed. The points being made are points that need to be made for the sake of getting the game to reach its potential (and to be what it should have been at launch), but the way it's approached at times is a little much. Some of the reviews out there have a level of bitterness that I'd expect in a situation like one where Jake personally kicked their puppy.
MIB Agent #0460
Ogre 134th Battalion

Lancaster, PA
Imgur: https://agent0460.imgur.com/
TheAmishStig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 02:47 PM   #20
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAmishStig View Post
Agreed. The points being made are points that need to be made for the sake of getting the game to reach its potential (and to be what it should have been at launch), but the way it's approached at times is a little much. Some of the reviews out there have a level of bitterness that I'd expect in a situation like one where Jake personally kicked their puppy.
Yes, there's a line between constructive criticism and harping that can be easy to trip over. I tried to be as objective as possible with my Steam review, but there's definitely a few that are downright nasty. :-(