Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-22-2011, 08:21 PM   #1
starslayer

Default RPM[MH]- RPM, charms, and weapons

So I have an RPM mage, and while her abilities to augment the party are awesome as is her toolbox of 'things I can do'; I was trying to figure out a way to make her more combat applicable, most likely by using her charms (she can have up to 24 of them).

I ultimately decided on charmed bullets; since affecting existing energy in believable ways is not a major ritual, so now she has a pistol, with 8 charmed bullets in them. Though I am debating setting charms in the weapon (perhaps small stones set in the handle) to enchant the weapon rather then the bullet, and increasing its effectiveness (could you increase the damage of a bullet by enchanting the weapon it fires from; would it have to be a spring weapon; super-deadly airsoft AEG or crossbow or similar?)

After consulting this thread:
http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread...ghlight=ritual
We decided that the 5% range + magery reserve (rounding up) was the appropriate max to put into a charm- for this PC that is 74 energy

However, we can't quite figure out how this ritual is ultimately built; near as I can tell:

'DOOM bullet': Causes the next round out of a weapon to have tremendous force behind it. Strengthens the kinetic energy of the bullet, increasing muzzle velocity, increasing projectile density, reducing air drag and other subtle but profound effects.
Code:
Lesser Strengthen Energy +3 
Lesser Control Magic +5 (to make a charm)
weight 300 lbs +3 (for effecting self)
range self +0
damage (15d+2)** +59 

**Since that's a single target non-explosive damage is tripled to 47d-1
So some questions:
#1- Did I do this right, seems I've almost instantly gone from 'minimal damage dealing capability' to 'biggest scariest stick in party' (though only for a max of 24 shots if I dedicate all my charms to this). Admittedly it's 'concentrate to activate; then fire bullet of doom'- so on unarmoured targets 'guy who just spends two rounds firing 10 rounds from rifle will do more total damage.

#2- Does the damage stay the same, or can I pick when I build the charm (Looks like crushing, burning, and piercing are all cost 0). Is increasing a pistol's damage to 65d still a lesser effect, or does the sheer scope of the augment make it greater?

#3- is the weight required; the pistol and all of it's ammo does not even weigh 10lbs; but the wielder of that (My PC) weighs ~110ish (go up to 300 in case she's carrying some gear)

#4- What does happen if you give a 'create throw-able damaging effect on self' a duration? Basically what if I made the above effect have a ten minute duration, could it effect each bullet in the pistol and the pistol itself rather then an individual round at a time? (Near as I can tell the rules do not prevent this; if all rounds fit inside area 1 then they can all be enhanced for no increase in cost).

With that one asked, and based on what Edges said; now I have another potential build that I want vetted (and in a very similar vein):

'And they say Airsoft is for wimps'- enchants an airsoft gun, BB gun, or other harmless projectile shooter to fire charged energy shots, specifically designed to take advantage of the high rate of fire, low weight, and cheap ammunition of airsoft markers. When cast it enchants the weapon for ten minutes to fire: Disolving acid, or fatiguing ethereal bolts (decided at time of charm creation); DR protects normally.
Code:
Greater create energy +6
Lesser control magic +5
Weight 300 lbs +3 (for effecting self)
Range self +0
(42)
Duration 10 minutes +1
Damage 3d+2 ^, ** +10

^1/2 damage for corrosion/fatigue effect
**triple damage
so final damage is x1.5, or 6d-1
total=25, greater effect = 75

Last edited by starslayer; 07-23-2011 at 10:05 AM. Reason: Clarification, math error on first spell, added second spell
starslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 08:52 PM   #2
Lamech

Default Re: RPM[MH]- RPM, charms, and weapons

Questions one and two: Erm... no way that would be justified as a lesser effect, unless its on a supergun or something. If a pistol hit with the power of a huge cannon would that be believable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by starslayer
Greater
Strengthen Energy +3 (because you are strengthening the energy of the bullet)
Lesser control magic +5
weight 300 lbs +3 (for effecting self)
[no range?]
damage (21d+2)** +59
(changes in bold) IIRC you need lesser control magic for a charm. Also since the bullet is touching the target range shouldn't be needed. Finally, your GM could say the weight is the largest monster affected. (Would you allow a flying car by enchanting its tires?)
Of course this comes to 210 energy due to the greater spell effect. I would probably recommend reducing the damage to something like 9d+3, which brings the energy cost too 60.

I would argue that a lesser version of this would be believable if it had a cap on the damage increase. Probably make the bonus damage cap scale based on starting damage: Placing your version on a supergun is fine, placing it on a pop-gun is not. That make sense?

P.S. The party members make great energy reserves for magic. Especially if your going to buff them. At 2HP and 3FP per energy point, the party can be a big stack of energy for your buffs. :) (And if your really a bad person allies are the best source of energy.)

Last edited by Lamech; 07-22-2011 at 09:45 PM.
Lamech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 09:35 PM   #3
Dragyn

Please forgive me.. This doesn't help your question, but I've been trying to figure it out..

What the heck is an RPM Mage?

I've seen it referenced several times, and gather that RPM is some sort of alternate magic system, but it seems to have sprung up while I was absent from the forums and 'RPM' is too short for the search to work.

Can someone please give me a well-aimed shove?

<><
Dragyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 09:39 PM   #4
zoncxs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fragwulf View Post
Please forgive me.. This doesn't help your question, but I've been trying to figure it out..

What the heck is an RPM Mage?

I've seen it referenced several times, and gather that RPM is some sort of alternate magic system, but it seems to have sprung up while I was absent from the forums and 'RPM' is too short for the search to work.

Can someone please give me a well-aimed shove?
its ritual path magic system that is used in the monster hunters series of gurps 4th editioin
zoncxs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 09:40 PM   #5
Dragyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoncxs View Post
its ritual path magic system that is used in the monster hunters series of gurps 4th editioin
Ah..

Thank you.. MH is one line I haven't looked into yet. I guess I'll have to change that.

<><
Dragyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 10:06 PM   #6
Edges

I'm still not sure what the charm actually does.

Does it increase the kinetic energy of the bullet? If so, you could say there's only so much more damage a bullet can do by going faster. Cap it as the GM. Maybe at 2x normal damage for something quick and dirty. But I'm sure Douglas Cole, Hans, or some other GURPS firearm expert could give a much better number. But this strikes me as the lesser strengthen energy effect.

Or does it charge the bullet with pure energy (plasma, hellfire, whatever)? If this is the case, sure it can do loads of damage. But I'd call this a greater create energy effect.
Edges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 12:05 AM   #7
starslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edges View Post
I'm still not sure what the charm actually does.

Does it increase the kinetic energy of the bullet? If so, you could say there's only so much more damage a bullet can do by going faster. Cap it as the GM. Maybe at 2x normal damage for something quick and dirty. But I'm sure Douglas Cole, Hans, or some other GURPS firearm expert could give a much better number. But this strikes me as the lesser strengthen energy effect.

Or does it charge the bullet with pure energy (plasma, hellfire, whatever)? If this is the case, sure it can do loads of damage. But I'd call this a greater create energy effect.
Ah- yes, sorry idea was increases kinetic energy of bullet, rather then charge the bullet with a new energy (Though, charge bullet with a new energy is a second concept I am considering so that she can carry around an air-soft AEG and let loose a torrent of plasma-fire or similar).

As for maximum damage; actual difference in weight of projectile between .308 (7.62) rifle and .45 pistol is pretty minimal. .22, .22lr, .223, 5.56mm are all almost identical barrel size and projectile weight- And there still a lot of room for improvment in things that you would never do loading, but which magic could fill in (+P ammunition, extra-dense DU rounds, etc); though I will agree that the as used 65d was likely beyond the realm of realisim (but would 32d(2), or 16d(5) have been?- effect would have been largely the same; do HP damage to target before over-penetration wastes remaining energy all but ignoring armor).

I have changed the questions, and updated the initial spell to adapt to some of the points made and further muddling about the effect.
Old 07-23-2011, 08:11 AM   #8
blacksmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by starslayer View Post
So I have an RPM mage, and while her abilities to augment the party are awesome as is her toolbox of 'things I can do'; I was trying to figure out a way to make her more combat applicable, most likely by using her charms (she can have up to 24 of them).

I ultimately decided on charmed bullets; since affecting existing energy in believable ways is not a major ritual, so now she has a pistol, with 8 charmed bullets in them. Though I am debating a charmed weapon, and increasing its effectiveness (could you increase the damage of a bullet by enchanting the weapon it fires from; would it have to be a spring weapon; super-deadly airsoft AEG or crossbow or similar?)
You would not want to charm the gun. You might put a spell on the gun, but as you have to destroy the charm to activate it, destroying your gun would be likely not what you would want to do.

But charmed bullets are one of the cool things RPM can do.
blacksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 10:03 AM   #9
starslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksmith View Post
You would not want to charm the gun. You might put a spell on the gun, but as you have to destroy the charm to activate it, destroying your gun would be likely not what you would want to do.

But charmed bullets are one of the cool things RPM can do.
Well guns themselves are not small and breakable, but something like small stones set in the grip. I will edit the original post for clarification.
Old 07-23-2011, 02:18 PM   #10
lexington

I thought there was something in MH about how you have to enchant the projectile, not the weapon just like in the normal magic system.
lexington is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charms, monster hunters, ritual path magic, rpm