Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 06-22-2019, 07:11 PM   #1
Scintillant

Default Most useful spells

What do people think are the most useful spells for a wizard on an adventure (as opposed to a simple arena battle)? I'm not considering spells useful outside the adventure (Weapon/Armor Enchantment may be great, but not too useful during an adventure).

I would say that Illusion is the single most useful spell, (possibly) followed by the best missile spell one can manage with IQ, but what else? Or, maybe you disagree with either or both of these choices. If so, why?
Scintillant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 08:25 PM   #2
JohnPaulB

Default Re: Most useful spells

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scintillant View Post
What do people think are the most useful spells for a wizard on an adventure (as opposed to a simple arena battle)?
Speed Movement; Makes your plate-mail turtle able to move 6 hexes and still fight! Or he can move 12 hexes and not fight. And he can do this for 4 turns.

Fantasy Chess: A chess game with combat.
Don't just take the square, Fight for it!
https://www.shadowhex.com
JohnPaulB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 12:17 AM   #3
Skarg

It seems to me that the thing about adventures is they involve different situations, and some spells fit some situations really well, but not so much others.

And in my experience, what makes a wizard most effective, is a clever player who thinks of good ways to use spells.

I have seen spells that some people consider practically useless be used to fantastic effect by clever players.

So I don't think there are "most" useful spells, but there are many very useful ones.

Aid has vast applications that few people put to full use.

Light might seem trivial until you don't have another source, and I've seen many creative uses for it.

Etc...
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 12:54 AM   #4
Axly Suregrip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
Light might seem trivial until you don't have another source, and I've seen many creative uses for it.
I agree Light spell is a must have even without being creative. Cast it first thing in your day and rest, then you have your light all day long.

Illusion is must for fights. Always my first spell to take.

Summon Myrmidon: need someone to open a trapped chest?

Reverse Missiles helps since archers like to target the wizard.

If your GM likes an occational cursed item, you will want: Detect Magic or Analyze Magic. Even if items are all useful, these steps can be helpful for you to find which are good items vs junk.

One more: Rope spell is great because it is a Creation spell (no loss of Dex to cast it) and it has an immediate -2 DX on the foe, plus forces them to loose at least one action to try to remove it. And if they ignore it, they quickly because incapable of doing anything.

When adventuring, whatever spells I go for, they need to be cheap. It is hard for a Wizard to have to rest after every spell during an adventure.

Last edited by Axly Suregrip; 05-20-2020 at 09:17 PM.
Axly Suregrip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 02:58 AM   #5
Chris Rice

It depends very much on the type of adventure and on the playstyle of the players and GM.

For instance, if the GM doesn't pay much attention to the effects of light levels in a dungeon (or even aboveground at night) then Darkvision will be pretty useless. In other groups it might be an absolute essential.

I agree that Wizards generally need a good clutch of cheap but effective spells: Image or Illusion, Blur or Avert, Light, Detect Magic, Fire etc. Of the new Spells, Summon Scout looks useful. And they'll want a staff of course.

Someone also made the point that a clever player can often make good use of spells that might not otherwise seem very useful.
Chris Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 07:24 AM   #6
Axly Suregrip

One more.

Shock Shield is good to know. If your GM likes nuisance creatures, this spell will clear off a bunch of them on you or on a friend.

Nuisances is mostly what I keep it for but also useful when your friend is in HTH with an armored foe. Now he will get a consistent source of damage against his foe regardless of armor.
Old 06-23-2019, 12:34 PM   #7
Scintillant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axly Suregrip View Post
Illusion is must for fights. Always my first spell to take...

One more: Rope spell is great because it is a Creation spell (no loss of Dex to cast it) and it has an immediate -2 DX on the foe, plus forces them to loose at least one action to try to remove it. And if they ignore it, they quickly because incapable of doing anything.

When adventuring, whatever spells I go for, they need to be cheap. It is hard for a Wizard to have to rest after every spell during an adventure.
I totally agree with all of these points (especially the one about efficient use of ST). Plus, here's an interesting RAW that makes Illusion virtually game-breaking (ITL, page 139):
Illusions or images of walls, fire, or shadow can be created. Illusions work just like the real thing until disbelieved or destroyed by a spell... An illusion of a Rope spell can be created as above.
So, it is entirely consistent with RAW that even the basic (1-hex) Illusion can also duplicate Giant Rope for 2 ST. How's that for useful (or abusive...). Plus, who would think to disbelieve a Rope / Giant Rope spell straight off? Sure, they may as well try once their DX is reduced to a useless level, but that buys you at least a couple of turns of inactivity on their part (and more for the low-IQ types, or for animals).

Last edited by Scintillant; 06-23-2019 at 12:52 PM.
Old 06-23-2019, 12:43 PM   #8
Axly Suregrip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scintillant View Post
I totally agree with all of these points (especially the one about efficient use of ST). Plus, here's an interesting RAW that makes Illusion virtually game-breaking (ITL, page 139):
Illusions or images of walls, fire, or shadow can be created. Illusions work just like the real thing until disbelieved or destroyed by a spell... An illusion of a Rope spell can be created as above.
So, it is entirely consistent with RAW that even the basic (1-hex) Illusion can also duplicate Giant Rope for 2 ST. How's the for useful (or abusive...). Plus, who would think to disbelieve a Rope / Giant Rope spell straight off? Sure, they may as well try once their DX is reduced to a useless level, but that buys you at least a couple of turns of inactivity on their part (and more for the low-IQ types, or for animals).

Nice tip about illusion being rope and giant rope!

Still real rope spell has uses against animals (they get a free disbelief that sometimes gets lucky ITL 138) or creatures that cannot perceive illusions (eg. zombies and those bug people that are no longer in the game... if memory serves me).

But yes we are in agreement: illusion has many uses and is cheap to cast. You just need to get other spells to cover whatever illusion cannot handle. ;-)
Old 06-23-2019, 01:28 PM   #9
Scintillant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axly Suregrip View Post
I agree Light spell is a must have even without being creative. Cast it first thing in your day and rest, then you have your light all day long.
Another use I like for Light: For dungeon crawls my wizard carries a small pouch with a few marbles or round rocks. Cast Light on them first thing in the AM. Then, in a dark dungeon roll one ahead of your group to see what things look like well beyond the reach of the light source you carry. Pick it up as you advance.
Old 06-24-2019, 02:09 AM   #10
Tywyll

Blur is the best defensive spell by far. Not being hit is better than absorbing some damage!

Illusion is tied or even better.
Tywyll is offline   Reply With Quote