Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-23-2012, 12:58 PM   #1
Anthony

Default Does this make sense as a Snatcher modifier? And what percent, if so?

"Super-Shopping" (+X%)
The items you snatch don't come from just anywhere -- they come from a store, and you have to pay for them. However, such items are automatically Permanent (which is why this is an advantage). Unless otherwise limited, the storekeeper will accept any currency a normal store would accept, but will not accept exchanges; all sales are final, and the IQ roll to successfully snatch an object is the same as the roll that would be required to find the object when shopping at a major city in the character's home culture (price modifiers for relative TL may apply). Various limitations:
Expensive: the shopkeeper charges high rates: -5% for x2, -10% for x5, -15% per x10, and an additional -15% per added x10.
Special Currency: varies. You have to pay in some sort of special currency. This ranges from -5% if it's a currency you would be likely to carry anyway to -25% for a currency where you have to make a special effort to get more of it.
Independent Income Only: -25%. You can't spend cash; instead, you have a monthly credit line equal to the amount of independent income you dedicate to the advantage.
Anthony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 01:05 PM   #2
Langy

Default Re: Does this make sense as a Snatcher modifier? And what percent, if so?

Even with the 'base' modifier, this sounds a lot more like a limitation than an enhancement. Probably a -50% limitation or so.
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 01:08 PM   #3
Flyndaran
Untagged

Default Re: Does this make sense as a Snatcher modifier? And what percent, if so?

I would be tempted to reverse the advantage into some kind of limited ally with special abilities to port his shop near you.
Like some vendors in W.O.W.
Old 05-23-2012, 01:30 PM   #4
Lamech

Isn't their a limitation for only snatching things you "own"? It would be something less than that...
Hiriko
Andrew
Lamech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 01:35 PM   #5
Jovus

Seems like there are two parts to this enhancement.

The first is the fact that the item is permanent. Statting it up separately that's worth +n%

The second is the limitation that you have to buy these things, instead of stealing them. If there is, indeed, a limitation where you must own the object already, I'd call this half of that limitation, for -m%

The composite, which is the enhancement you actually want, is +(n-m)%
Jovus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 01:58 PM   #6
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovus View Post
Seems like there are two parts to this enhancement.

The first is the fact that the item is permanent. Statting it up separately that's worth +n%

The second is the limitation that you have to buy these things, instead of stealing them. If there is, indeed, a limitation where you must own the object already, I'd call this half of that limitation, for -m%

The composite, which is the enhancement you actually want, is +(n-m)%
The thing is, the main reason the Permanent enhancement is valued in the way it is is because it lets you create wealth from nothing.
Anthony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 02:41 PM   #7
jeff_wilson
Computer Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
The thing is, the main reason the Permanent enhancement is valued in the way it is is because it lets you create wealth from nothing.
Permanent's not necessary for that, though it does let you accumulate it faster in more cases.

The Campaigns of William Stoddard
jeff_wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 06:40 PM   #8
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_wilson View Post
Permanent's not necessary for that, though it does let you accumulate it faster in more cases.
Permanent is largely irrelevant to making money from Snatcher.

The fact that the first bag of $20 bills you Snatched vanishes when you Snatch the second sack is not really inconvenient to anyone whose morals allow them to summon bags of $20 bills out of thin air in the first place. Unless maybe they don't move around enough.

The Modifier people are thinking of is probably Recall and it's -25%. Not really that close as it isn't Permenent and is stated as being incompatible with Permanent. Recal only works to summon one item you own and can't summon another until you send the first one back.

If you were limiting yourself to small items that you plausiably could recently have bought this looks more like Gizmo (costs $) than Snatcher.

I don't really see a good precedent and dislike I personally dislike the Permenent mod for Snatcher so much that my ow House Rules would be very far from the RAW.
Old 05-23-2012, 08:37 PM   #9
Refplace

Gismo might actually be a good idea if your not going to be doing too many a session. I would require Cosmic, probably +50% to let you buy something then and there.
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 08:51 PM   #10
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Gismo might actually be a good idea if your not going to be doing too many a session. I would require Cosmic, probably +50% to let you buy something then and there.
Gizmos already have the never found until "activated", don't they? The buying snatching part is just story background explanation.

Tags
snatcher