Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-15-2011, 07:27 AM   #1
Phoenix_Dragon

Default Vulnerable strikers

When I was considering traits for a remodeled dragon template, I came to a bit of a hangup on the wings. Flight (Winged) states that you need Striker to be able to land blows with the wing. Okay, that makes sense. Most animals with wings can buffet with them, but GURPS is pretty clear that if you're striking with a part of the body that isn't an arm, leg, or your head, it's a striker. So that's simple enough.

It makes sense they'd do a good amount of damage. Wings look like poor striking surfaces, but they're still applying enough force to support the creature's weight (At least as much force as a leg doing a stamp-kick). Modified with Weak, and they're much like a kick.

But that has the weird effect of making wings immune to damage when parrying or being parried. There isn't any modifier I can find to remove that, and searching didn't turn up anything. Personally, I've been using a -50% modifier to remove that trait while keeping the others, but was somewhat curious what others thought of it. I vaguely recall seeing it come up before, but I couldn't find anything. It is a good modifier to have, since it handles all manner of strikers that shouldn't be immune to damage any more than an arm or leg should. Tails, tentacles, etc.

So do people think -50% is fair? Any thoughts? Did I miss it somewhere? :>
Phoenix_Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 07:35 AM   #2
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Default Re: Vulnerable strikers

How about Extra Arms with a No Fine Manipulators limitation applied to them? Looks somewhat less clunky, IMO.
Old 06-15-2011, 07:39 AM   #3
Phoenix_Dragon

That's a little odd, especially how it ends up being more expensive than an un-limited crushing striker, even. And allows all sorts of odd things that even non-manipulator arms could, like grappling.
Old 06-15-2011, 07:41 AM   #4
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix_Dragon View Post
That's a little odd, especially how it ends up being more expensive than an un-limited crushing striker, even. And allows all sorts of odd things that even non-manipulator arms could, like grappling.
So you don't want to be able to envelop an enemy using wings? Oh well.
Old 06-15-2011, 10:25 AM   #5
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
Show me a winged creature that grapples with its wings and I might consider that "not totally crazy". Giving an enemy a golden opportunity to tear out my flight feathers or bite/claw my wing membranes seems like suicide.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 11:50 AM   #6
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
Show me a winged creature that grapples with its wings and I might consider that "not totally crazy". Giving an enemy a golden opportunity to tear out my flight feathers or bite/claw my wing membranes seems like suicide.
Winged monsters from a Lovecraft movie. The white alien monster from Dead Space. And I think wing attacks by dragons are reasonably common. Not realistic terran species, of course.
Old 06-15-2011, 12:05 PM   #7
khorboth

How about statting them as legs? then they can kick. They're a bit inaccurate which seems fine and the bonuses to balance and resistance to tripping seem entirely reasonable.
khorboth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 10:09 PM   #8
Phoenix_Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
No. If I wanted them to be able to do that, that might be different. But there are plenty of strikers that should be vulnerable to parrying or being parried, while not being able to grapple at all (For example, the dragon's tail). Statting it up as an arm doesn't work for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khorboth View Post
How about statting them as legs? then they can kick. They're a bit inaccurate which seems fine and the bonuses to balance and resistance to tripping seem entirely reasonable.
Only if you walk on your wings, which is incredibly rare. Otherwise, I don't see how they'd give any more protection than a couple extra arms, or simply being able to fly. It certainly doesn't work for all strikers.

Both of these are reasons why I think some limitation for Strikers would be very useful.
Old 06-16-2011, 02:37 AM   #9
Sunrunners_Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix_Dragon View Post
So do people think -50% is fair? Any thoughts? Did I miss it somewhere? :>
There is no RAW modifier that does this (converts weapon-parry to unarmed-parry); likewise there is no RAW modifier that does the reverse (converts unarmed-parry to weapon-parry). That I'm aware of anywise.

I would rule ...
"Melee Attack: Treated as Unarmed Parry" at -10% seems reasonable. (Using a reversed "Melee Attack: Destructive Parry", from Powers, page 103, as the pricing guideline.)
Sunrunners_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 07:00 AM   #10
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunrunners_Fire View Post
There is no RAW modifier that does this (converts weapon-parry to unarmed-parry); likewise there is no RAW modifier that does the reverse (converts unarmed-parry to weapon-parry). That I'm aware of anywise.
Actually that second one is covered, but it's not a modifier on your regular limbs.

You buy a striker with the Limb limitation, from Martial Arts, which means you don't get an EXTRA limb, you just upgrade an existing limb to "whatever kind of limb it was and it counts as a striker".

So you can upgrade a leg or an arm (for example).
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
striker, unarmed parry