Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-24-2012, 10:37 PM   #1
mirioki

Default What skills do you need to make a bomb from improvised parts?

In essence, I'm asking what skills do you need to make an IED?

So far, I figured you would need Explosives (Demolitions) to build the bomb itself. You would need Chemistry to make the materials, like trinitroglycerin.

That's where I'm stuck, though. What skills would you need to make a blasting cap and detonator (like a radio detonator, time detonator, or sensor based detonator?)... and what would you even use to make them?
mirioki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 11:03 PM   #2
TheNinjaD

Default Re: What skills do you need to make a bomb from improvised parts?

It depends on what sort of bomb and triggering method you're going for. I'd say things like Chemisty and Electrician could, potentially, be relevant. This question makes me feel like there should be a MacGuyver Talent.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:22 PM   #3
mirioki

Well MacGuyver was more of a quick gadgeteer making crap out of nothing.

I was thinking something a little more realistic... like phone detonators, remote control detonators, stuff you can get from common electronics stores using batteries or wires you can get from home improvement stores. Electrician could work, I guess.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:26 PM   #4
Celti

Improvising a detonator is Electronics Repair (Communications) for a radio detonator, or Electrician for a simple switch. You could probably get away with just Electrician to rig up an alarm clock or a cell phone as a detonator.

Making a blasting cap is more Chemistry, but it's difficult and dangerous Chemistry. You might also want Machinist to make the shell of it, if you're doing it all right proper and not just packing your blasting compound into an empty can.
Celti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 11:27 PM   #5
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirioki View Post
In essence, I'm asking what skills do you need to make an IED?

So far, I figured you would need Explosives (Demolitions) to build the bomb itself. You would need Chemistry to make the materials, like trinitroglycerin.

That's where I'm stuck, though. What skills would you need to make a blasting cap and detonator (like a radio detonator, time detonator, or sensor based detonator?)... and what would you even use to make them?
I would just let you use Explosives (Demolitions) for all of that. Maybe Scrounging if you had to come up with improvised parts of materials. But the circuitry of a detonator isn't tremendously complex and I would think ordinary Demolitions skill would cover it.

Edit: You could also apply the standard -2 modifier to skill for improvised gear.

Bill Stoddard
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 01:50 AM   #6
mirioki

I've seen videos of making a cell phone detonator, doesn't look too hard... nor does making explosive material. Blasting caps don't look terribly difficult either. Shoving everything into an enclosed container is probably... not terribly hard either.

So, is Explosives (Demolitions) the end all of explosive creating and proper usage skill?

Like, can I make an improvised blasting cap, detonator, explosive material, and a container for the whole thing with simple Explosives (Demolitions) rolls?

God I feel like a terrorist looking and thinking this stuff up.
Old 02-25-2012, 01:58 AM   #7
Celti

After reading "Home-Cooked Explosives" (High-Tech, p.186), I must change my previous statement. Either Chemistry or Explosives (Demolition) can be used to craft explosives (at a bonus for something as simple as ANFO); and Explosives (Demolition) can be used to craft the necessary initiator and improvise a detonator.
Celti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 01:59 AM   #8
vierasmarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirioki View Post
Like, can I make an improvised blasting cap, detonator, explosive material, and a container for the whole thing with simple Explosives (Demolitions) rolls?
That seems reasonable. After all, there are a number of skills that can emulate narrow aspects of other skills. For example, Soldier can be used for Routine (TDM +4 or higher) uses of Electronics Operation, Armoury, etc. I'd follow the same model with Demolitions, allowing you to make simple detonators without actually being an Electrician. If you use Electrician itself, you could make more complex detonators, or make the same ones but with a positive TDM.
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 02:04 AM   #9
mirioki

Awesome... this makes it very simple then. Definitely much more simple than actually crafting something.
Old 02-25-2012, 03:49 AM   #10
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

The problem with scrounging a cell phone as a detonator is ... telemarketers
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote