Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-23-2006, 08:47 PM   #1
Charleson Mambo

Default DR, HP, and Cover DR of ice?

Anybody knows what is the damage resistance, hit points, and cover DR of ice? (per inch)

Is it listed in one of the 4e books?

Charleson Mambo
Charleson Mambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 01:27 AM   #2
t@nya

Default Re: DR, HP, and Cover DR of ice?

Gurps Supers (3e) had information about DR and HP of ice (for ice walls). Unfortunately, I don't have access to my book right now. I'll check it when I get home. I don't know if the rule was updated in a 4e book.
t@nya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 08:02 AM   #3
laserdog

p262 of Basic lists the "Body of Ice" template, which has DR 3.

For several inches of ice, that just means the object has greater HP.

A box at the bottom of Campaigns p483 gives the equation to calculate that from the weight of the object.

By my research ice has a density of about 57.4 lbs per cubic foot.

Hope that helps.
laserdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 07:32 AM   #4
Charleson Mambo

Could someone with access to Supers (3e) post what DR and HP was given for ice in that book? (I can't find my copy anywhere.)

Also, how come the DR and HP of esoteric (but still common in literature) materials (like ice) are not mentioned in Basic?

Charleson Mambo

(It still looks like a book dedicated to supporting the specifics of the Super Hero genre would still be usefull.)
Old 04-26-2006, 01:40 PM   #5
Grayson

And I quote (page 85): "A wall of ice has DR of 3 points/inch for the first foot, 4 points/inch for the second foot, 5 points/inch for the third foot, and so on up to a maximum DR of 20 points/inch. Hit points are a flat 3 points/inch.

When a wall takes damage, 2/3 of the damage (round up) is applied to reducing the DR of the remainder (in that spot). The rest reduces the hit points."

Hope that helps.
Grayson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 01:42 PM   #6
Charleson Mambo

Thanks! That should at least help to keep things within playtested parameters.

Charleson Mambo
Old 04-26-2006, 07:35 PM   #7
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charleson Mambo
Also, how come the DR and HP of esoteric (but still common in literature) materials (like ice) are not mentioned in Basic?
Probably because they're esoteric :D And only common in certain kinds of literature. Anything involving magical or super powers could have a wall of just about anything come up, of course, and certain kinds of psi obviously can create ice walls specifically.

But outside of that niche, you have to get into campeigns involving exploring glaciers to really need ice, and mithril/adamant are fantasy materials, whos structural properties are appropriately found in Fantasy. Sci-fi hasn't established standards for the properties of Unobtanium-ite or whatever yet, as far as I know.

Re Ice: Even arctic exploration missions aren't going to encounter walls of ice or significant use of ice as a structural material, short of visiting an ice hotel. All you need to know about ice on bodies of water, usually, is how much weight it can support - and generally it's either "All the ice is more than thick enough to hold everyone" or "It's variably thick, you have an n% chance of breaking through any given hex" (where n is defined by dramatic necessity), or its "It's too thin to hold anyone".
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote