Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Illuminati Headquarters > Forum Feedback and Help

Old 07-19-2017, 12:50 PM   #1
Maz

Default Thank you for the "banned users"-thread.

I had noticed a few people getting banned recently. And was wondering what was going on. "Did something big drama go down?". "Did we get a new harsh moderater?". "Are there some new forum-rules I am not aware of?"

I noticed, probably, because a few of them were old-timers. Not any I know personally, but names I have seen across the (GURPS) forum from time to time over the past 10+ years.

But thanks to the "banned users"-thread I could easily see how, what and why.

So, thank you for the transparency :)

Note, no, this is not some sarcastic dig. I am honestly grateful. So many online communities lack transparency like this.
Maz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 03:09 PM   #2
Randyman

Default Re: Thank you for the "banned users"-thread.

This is the only message board that I frequent that has that kind of thread. I also appreciate the professionalism when reasons are given. No sensationalizing, just simple factual information.

Kudos to the mods!

"(GURPS) isn't a game but a toolkit for building games, and the GM needs to use it intelligently" - Kromm
Randyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 05:09 PM   #3
adm

Agreed, I also like that you state how long, or permanent.
Old 07-20-2017, 12:10 AM   #4
RyanW

This forum has some of the best moderation on the internet, IMO. They've struck a very good balance between keeping things open and keeping things civil. On a lot of forums, if you look at a thread from a few years ago, it seems like 90% of the posts are from users that have since been banned. I can only think of a handful of significant contributors here who have gotten themselves perma-banned. I think the mods here are very good at differentiating between disagreeing with a person who is a moderator and disagreeing with moderation.
Old 07-20-2017, 07:06 AM   #5
GM Joe

Yeah, the first time I saw a post in the Banned Users thread, I was nonplussed. No system I'd ever been on had ever had anything like that -- all the way back to BBSes, including the BBSes I ran! What a great idea.
Old 07-20-2017, 07:46 AM   #6
RogerBW

I've stolen the idea for a board I moderate. I haven't had to use it yet, but everyone there knows that abusive users will be called out in public rather than silently vanished.
RogerBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 02:48 PM   #7
johndallman
Night Watchman

It's an excellent system. It seems to be part of the general SJG "We don't pretend to be perfect" philosophy.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 05:57 PM   #8
pestigor

I can get nutty sometimes (ASD) and the banned users thread lets me know where the line actually is (not just by reading the forum rules) and I have an easier time trying not to cross it. Also, sometimes I see things that makes me shake my head and some times I see the poster here so I know I'm not the only one thinking that sort of thing.
pestigor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 06:52 PM   #9
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pestigor View Post
I can get nutty sometimes (ASD) and the banned users thread lets me know where the line actually is (not just by reading the forum rules) and I have an easier time trying not to cross it. Also, sometimes I see things that makes me shake my head and some times I see the poster here so I know I'm not the only one thinking that sort of thing.
That's an important note. We don't read every thread - even if we wanted to (AND WE DO NOT), there are too many of them and we have other things to do. But we DO take reported posts seriously and check them out, particularly when they come from lurkers or from posters who don't have a reputation of being easily riled. We would much rather get a good-faith report of something that we decide wasn't really a problem than have a bunch of people grumbling about a problematic post in a thread that none of us has read.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote