Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

View Poll Results: Epic?
I've never played Epic. 69 34.85%
I've tried Epic once or twice, but we prefer the standard game. 44 22.22%
I play Epic occasionally. 61 30.81%
I usually play Epic. 14 7.07%
I never play anything BUT Epic, if I have a choice. 5 2.53%
Once again, you have failed to give me a valid answer. An Epic fail, as it were. I shall explain further in the comments. 5 2.53%
Voters: 198. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-15-2013, 05:29 PM   #21
Turgul

Default Re: Epic?

I have played Epic a couple of times, but that is about all. Regular Munchkin can take 3+ hours with six players.
Turgul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 07:01 PM   #22
morleydotes
Moderator Emeritus

We play epic all the time. We find the challenge more fun. Plus we get tired of fast one hour games for 4 - 6 people.

Pat
morleydotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:25 PM   #23
ambrousis

I always play epic, usually its just me and my girlfriend playing, so epic makes the game last long enough to be fun. We made index card size printouts for all the epic powers so that we can have them sitting in front of us. Still waiting on the Apocalypse ones, but I can be patient.
ambrousis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:43 PM   #24
Xzion

I play Epic occasionally, especially because of my vastly expanded set, when we have the time and mood to really delve into it.
Xzion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 12:09 AM   #25
CLINE_28

I have not yet played Epic, but I keep a copy of Epic in my Munchkin Box of Mischief. like most Munchkins I am waiting for my friends to become more seasoned players. I would be very interested in having an Epic board.. Also It would be great to see an updated Rules sheet within the next 3 months. :D
CLINE_28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:39 PM   #26
All_Thumbs

I see I'm still the only vote for "only Epic." That might have a lot to do with demographics.

I live out in the boonies, nearly 2 hours to any listed FLGS or any large city, and I play almost exclusively with my teen ds and tween dd. We were introduced to Munchkin two years ago by my SIL and were hooked instantly, so she gave us a base set and the first two Christmas boosters. Since then I've added Unnatural Axe and Clerical Errors plus a bunch of other boosters. But overall it's not a huge collection of cards so we've learned them all pretty well, thus we don't spend much game time saying "Wait, let me read this card again and think about what it means." And we don't have a "local group" to train, or a newbie each week, or anything like that (which would be a blast but I haven't had time to put into starting a group). I'm sure that having newbies would slow the game down, even though in the longer term the group is better off for having trained them - I'm not trying to knock newbies.

But it doesn't take that long for a small group playing with well-known cards to get to Level 10. And that's just not a large enough dose of Munchkin. So it's Epic for us!
All_Thumbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:43 PM   #27
Uncle Mick

Apologies if you read this and think "...but that's option n."

When playing with my youngest nephews, currently 10 and 12, it's impossible not to play Epic.

When playing with with my brother's family it's not allowed- my brother and sister-in-law are not such great fans of the game but play it occasionally in response to the finely honed, and exceptionally skilled, nagging tactics as practiced by said nephews.

When playing with my partner and her friends it's unfair to play Epic as they are still near novices. She doesn't often let me bring the game to soirees etc. and has recently become better able to spot the carefully-hidden-package before we arrive.

When playing with my partner, the current bulk of my games since I moved out of my brother's house to live with her, we will normally play Epic if I get to level 9 under circumstances where she has no hope of reaching level 10 first. Under these circumstances: we are playing an evolved two-player variant of the game whether standard or epic, there is a limit of four sideways cards in play per person. Additionally for Epic and to prevent runaway victories, you cannot buy level 10 and you cannot win the necessary twentieth level if the other player is not also Epic: the monster(s) refuse to fight.

As a way of prolonging the fun/agony I very much like Epic. I'm not sure if I like the Epic mechanics as much as the standard game but I have no thoughts on any better way of extending the game and accept that Epic represents the best way of doing this.
Uncle Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:03 AM   #28
Patsycoconut

I have found it difficult to convince players to go epic. They are usually worried that the game will take too long. Although when I do have a chance to get a game going it is always a hoot.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:39 AM   #29
Urist

So far, most of my games are with my kids. 2 of 3 can read and only 1 of them really gets the game.

Give it another couple years and all 3 will be able to read and "get it" and then my plans for a fully contained on-demand gaming group will be fulfilled, muahaha.

(So in answer to the question - we probably couldn't last the amount of time for Epic at the moment. Normal is just right.)
Urist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 05:33 PM   #30
ferulebezel

I've tried it a couple of times and it really took too long. I think if the deck was seeded with more low level monsters it might be more fun.
ferulebezel is offline   Reply With Quote