Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-05-2013, 02:45 PM   #1
WhiteFox1618

Default Bulk penalties and SM (and some other questions)

Pardon me if this has been covered already, but I've been looking around for some time and haven't found anything yet.

My character, Kaladbolg, is an SM+1 mutant gunsmith in a post-apoc campaign, and his weapon of choice is an 870P Wingmaster shotgun. When loaded for bear, he carries an M79 grenade launcher and a heavily cut-down M4A1 as a backup weapon (shotguns take a while to reload, ya'know?).

It's also worth noting that he has 18 ST, and two Extra Arms with the Long enhancement. So, when I say he's built like a gorilla, I'm not kidding. (His other pair of arms are shorter, normal human size, so he can still use normal scale firearms and tools).

Now... we get into a fair bit of close quarters combat, prowling through pre-war military bases or deserted cities, and the 870P has a bulk of -5*. When some bozo jumps out at me with a fire axe, I don't get time to aim either, making things worse. I often have APDS+P slugs too, which means no bonus from RoF, and an Rcl that usually means I only get one shot.

So, here's my question: Would it be reasonable for SM to reduce bulk penalties? The Basic Set describes Bulk as a measure of a weapon's handiness, and Kalad' has some pretty big hands. He's got enough ST to fire the 870P or M4A1 in one hand, without using a stock, without any skill penalties... it seems odd that he wouldn't be able to maneuver it as well.

Some other minutia:

Depending on whether a weapon, such as an LMG or rocket launcher, is mounted or fired from the hip/shoulder, either the Gunner or Guns skill is appropriate. Similarily, swords can be used with the One- or Two-Handed Sword skill, depending on grip. Does that extend to guns being "handled" as a different type of firearm? For example, would it be reasonable for my mutant to fire his M4A1 using the Guns(SMG) skill? This means Kalad could use the M4A1 with his larger arms and an MP5K in his smaller ones, without having to spend points on the Guns (Rifle) skill to use the M4A1. Same deal for, say, firing a very cut down shotgun loaded with slugs using the Guns (Pistol) skill.

There is a limited amount of TL-9 and 10 equipment in the setting... how plausible would it be to design/fabricate munitions based on Ultra-Tech warheads made to fire from earlier TL firearms? Eg: a 40mm grenade with a tangler warhead that could be launched from an M79? The warhead is the only ultratech part, the rest of the cartridge being TL-8. The required character traits are pretty straightforward, but are you "allowed" to mix technology levels like that? (I've already used TL-9 sedatives with TL-5 Liquid ammunition, from HighTech, and we've found TL-7 firearms built with TL-9 materials)

Fitting a firearm to it's owner, as covered in Gun-Fu, doubles the cost of a weapon and adjusting equipment for SM+1 is the same cost. Would it be reasonable to apply this cost multiplier once for both modifications? Fitting a weapon implies it would have to match the owners SM, and it seems unfair to charge quadruple. (Note: my character specializes in customizing weapons for other mutants, who are universally SM+1... charging once for both adjustments would lower his income far more than he'd save on his own weapons, so I'm not doing this for easy money. :P)

Anyway... that's it for now, thank you for your time.

(Edit: Whoops, hit the "post" button accidentally before finishing the post. Mea culpa, gimmie a little while to finish writing

Edit2: Done, whee.)

Last edited by WhiteFox1618; 03-05-2013 at 03:58 PM. Reason: Accidentally posted too soon, had to finish writing the post.
WhiteFox1618 is offline   Reply With Quote