Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 01-08-2013, 11:52 AM   #1
Griv

Default Some Rule questions

Hi, I'm a new Munchkineer, and had a couple questions:

1. When can you use class abilities? If I am a Thief, and am being targeting by another Thief to steal my Doppleganger, can I (either when he picks that to attempt to steal, or while he is grabbing a die to roll) activate my Thief ability - by discarding my Doppleganger to deny them getting a great card! - and attempt to steal from whoever else?

2. How can I get rid of the Huge Rock? It has no value, so I can't sell it, right? What if no one wants to take it (so I can't equip something better)? I can always use a class/race ability that needs a discard to get rid of it, though, right?

Thanks for the input - I'm looking forward to learning more here.
Griv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:00 PM   #2
Bampop

Default Re: Some Rule questions

I would think the sporting thing to do in the case of your first question would be to allow him to make his roll. Sure, sometimes things come down to who dropped their card first, but if he declared his intent, he probably has his discard just about ready.

To answer number two, "No Value" can be read as "0 Gold Pieces," so if you're selling 1000 worth of Gold for a level, you could toss it in there. Additionally you could discard it to power a race or class ability that doesn't specify that the discard must come from your hand. Or you could play a Curse on yourself that would make you lose an Item. Get creative. Lots of things that seem hopeless aren't.
MiB #3282, Palm Bay, FL
Munchkin, Zombie/Cthulhu Dice, Burn in Hell!, Revolution!, Castellan, Chez Geek, OGRE DE, Chupacabra, Nanuk
mib3282@gmail.com
Bampop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:01 PM   #3
Mister Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griv View Post
Hi, I'm a new Munchkineer, and had a couple questions:

1. When can you use class abilities? If I am a Thief, and am being targeting by another Thief to steal my Doppleganger, can I (either when he picks that to attempt to steal, or while he is grabbing a die to roll) activate my Thief ability - by discarding my Doppleganger to deny them getting a great card! - and attempt to steal from whoever else?

2. How can I get rid of the Huge Rock? It has no value, so I can't sell it, right? What if no one wants to take it (so I can't equip something better)? I can always use a class/race ability that needs a discard to get rid of it, though, right?

Thanks for the input - I'm looking forward to learning more here.
On the second question, "No Value" IS a value. It is just a value of zero. If you have enough stuff to sell for a level otherwise, and you wish to throw in some "No Value" items along with them, that's allowed. But you can also, as you surmised, discard it to power an ability (provided it is one that doesn't specify that the cards need to come from your hand).

EDIT: Guess I type too slow.
Mister Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:25 PM   #4
Clipper

I agree with the other responses, but the official rule is that whichever Thief discards first is the one that gets to attempt Theft first. The other Thief cannot discard for his Theft until the first Theft attempt has been fully resolved.

Thus, it's a good idea to wait until after your discard to declare the Item you want to steal, so nobody knows how to stop you. Also note that if the other Thief had vocalised their intention to steal your Doppleganger, they are under no obligation to actually attempt the Theft until they discard, and they can choose any other Small Item if they eventually do discard.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:05 PM   #5
Griv

Thank you all, and thanks for the official ruling, Clipper. I'm sure I'll be back with more questions as I get a few games under my -2 Belt of Noobness
Griv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:15 PM   #6
Clipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griv View Post
Thank you all, and thanks for the official ruling, Clipper. I'm sure I'll be back with more questions as I get a few games under my -2 Belt of Noobness
You're welcome. Please note that it's not official because I said it, but I have seen the people qualified to make official rulings say that with regard to timing of Theft.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:02 AM   #7
MunchkinMan

Yes, Clipper should have mentioned that his comment was repeating back something Andrew or I had said, so as not to cause confusion, or promote his standing in the forum beyond that of avid fan. But, I'll officially stamp my official acknowledgement that Clipper did, in fact, repeat the correct, official answer to the question.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
abilities, huge rock, thief