Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-14-2009, 01:42 AM   #11
Captain-Captain

Default Re: Is Transcendent the limit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragitsu View Post
Or perhaps a limited form of Mind Control?
Artemis: Transcendant Affliction (aura) state of arousal. Cosmic Irresistable.

Aphrodite: Transcendant Affliction (aura) state of ar5ousal Cosmic Tier 3.
...VVVVVVV
..^^^^^^^

A clock running two hours slow has the correct time zero times a day.
Captain-Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 01:46 AM   #12
Ragitsu
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain-Captain View Post
Artemis: Transcendant Affliction (aura) state of arousal. Cosmic Irresistable.

Aphrodite: Transcendant Affliction (aura) state of ar5ousal Cosmic Tier 3.
Oh yeah, the Cosmic Tiers from Powers. I knew those would come in handy eventually.
Ragitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 01:47 AM   #13
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.

Quote:
I dunno. Xenophilia, anyone?
Anyone who is attracted to a Cthuloid god deserves what he gets.
Kaboom-baya.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 02:14 AM   #14
PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailanka View Post
Or Awe.

That seems to be Awe's purpose, at least to me.
Quote:
Or perhaps a limited form of Mind Control?
Both good ways to take it. See the Beauty element in DF5 for just this very approach.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 02:16 AM   #15
Ragitsu
Banned

Limitation: not against other deities/gods?
Ragitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 07:21 AM   #16
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Quote:
Limitation: not against other deities/gods?
I think perhaps it is more realistic to say that deities have higher standards, and thus would consider even a Beautiful/Handsome human to be unremarkable and romantically uninteresting.

(What does this say about Zeus? Perhaps that he's a severe case of Lecherous?)
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 07:43 AM   #17
Mailanka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Knutsen View Post
I think perhaps it is more realistic to say that deities have higher standards, and thus would consider even a Beautiful/Handsome human to be unremarkable and romantically uninteresting.

(What does this say about Zeus? Perhaps that he's a severe case of Lecherous?)
What sort of disadvantage reflects bizarre sexual deviance? Odious Personal Habit: Dirty Human Fancier?

Ok, seriously: If we're going to look at the Greek myths, I think you might be better off discarding the notion that all the gods were Transcendent. I think you might be better off assuming they all have a level or two of Awe, and then relatively normal levels of beauty. Humans, like Arachne* or Helen, seemed to be on par with goddesses quite often, which suggests you had some insanely gorgeous greek chicks running around, or the gods weren't that pretty. Hera, for example, seems no more than Average, and Hephaestus is Ugly.

*Crap, turns out Arachne was cursed for boasting of her weaving skills, which I should have remembered. But I'm quite sure several women got cursed for being "too beautiful," and the gods were jealous.
Old 12-15-2009, 08:07 AM   #18
aesir23

Quote:
*Crap, turns out Arachne was cursed for boasting of her weaving skills, which I should have remembered. But I'm quite sure several women got cursed for being "too beautiful," and the gods were jealous.
Medusa, for one.
aesir23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 08:10 AM   #19
Phil Masters

Quote:
Ok, seriously: If we're going to look at the Greek myths, I think you might be better off discarding the notion that all the gods were Transcendent. I think you might be better off assuming they all have a level or two of Awe, and then relatively normal levels of beauty.
I mostly agree, although - perhaps depending which myth you're looking at - someone like Aphrodite might have Transcendent. It's a large part of her schtick, after all; bluntly, the goddess of sex gets to be as sexy as anything can get, in every possible way.

Quote:
Humans, like Arachne* or Helen, seemed to be on par with goddesses quite often, which suggests you had some insanely gorgeous greek chicks running around, or the gods weren't that pretty. Hera, for example, seems no more than Average, and Hephaestus is Ugly.
Well, do note that Hera was one of the three contestants for the Judgement of Paris, and Paris apparently had some trouble making his mind up. One could suggest that all three were hitting the poor sod with as much of their switchable, scaleable divine Awe power as they reckoned his poor mortal brain could stand, and he was reduced to dithering. Or, noting that we're talking about an allegory here, all three had some kind of limited Mind Control (Conditioning) which worked by steering the target towards devotion to their realm of concern, and he was stuck trying to make his mind up between three offers until Aphrodite's Transcendent visual effect broke the tie.

(And Helen was (a) the certified Most Beautiful Woman In The World - guaranteed so by Aphrodite's promise - and (b) half divine by birth.)

But like I said, the real point here is that it depends which myth you're reading - and watch out for the allegory.

Quote:
I think that, in most cases, those women actually got cursed because they - or some idiot of a relative or friend - openly claimed that they were as beautiful as a goddess. Whether they were actually that attractive or not (probably not) was largely beside the point. Greek deities could be horrible jealous entities, to be sure, but they thing they really enjoyed smacking down, this being Greek myth, was hubris.
My Self-Publications: On Warehouse 23 and On DriveThruRPG.
Phil Masters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 09:25 AM   #20
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by aesir23 View Post
Medusa, for one.
Ahem. The most common versions of how Medusa got cursed were for copulating with, or being raped by, Poseidon in a temple of Athena.

Of course all those "mortals get cursed by the gods" stories are complicated by the fact that the "people" in question were usually actually local deities and telling the story of how they were cursed/defeated is part of the process of coopting the local cult into that of the god who does the cursing/defeating. Medusa for example was apparently some kind of goddess of protection and Pandora "All gifting" was in fact the local Earth mother goddess.

But that aside, I have no trouble with setting a range of positive divine appearance (apart from the exercise of divine Awe) that ranges from Beautiful (Hera, Demeter, Eris) to Very Beautiful (Aphrodite Pandemos, Artemis), to Transcendent (Aphrodite Ourania)
David Johnston2 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
appearance, beauty, deities, gods, transcendent