Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-30-2018, 07:34 AM   #21
Not

Default Re: Sosial advantages in Dungeon Fantasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culture20 View Post
Is there a pricing structure for Secret where the bad things happen to the other player characters? (The King has knights and assassins scouring the countryside to slay the evil kidnappers of the Princess, who unbeknownst to him, are the Princess’ closest friends)
I suppose imprisonment would be a suitable penalty for a runaway princess if her secret is discovered, and her companions might face no penalty. (“I’ve no truck with you lot; just orders from the King to bring Elsahandreastasia back to the castle.”)
Might be equivalent to Weirdness Magnet.
Old 06-30-2018, 07:37 AM   #22
AlexanderHowl

Default Re: Social advantages in Dungeon Fantasy

Bad things happening to other people is up to the GM. A modern example would be an adolescent character who masquerades as an adult (I was able to purchase beer at the age of 14 because I looked 21 when I was a freshman in high school and I have known plenty of girls with similar 'mature' looks). A 14 year old character who is a runaway who claims to be 21 (acquiring Secret (Runaway)) and develops friendships and sexual relationships with the other characters in the group. If her secret comes out, the adult characters in the group could be looking at prison time for child endangerment and/or statutory rape ('but she said she was 21' is rarely accepted as a legitimate defense). The cost to the character with the Secret though is Enemies (people sent to jail because of her stunt), Social Stigma (Criminal, since she likely stole someone's identity, and Minor), and reduced Wealth.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 09:02 AM   #23
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by coronatiger View Post
Status 5 [25]
Claim to Hospitality (nobility) [10]
Patron (Father) [10]
Legal Immunity (Royal) [15]
Does she have a special right to be received as a guest, exceeding what follows from her just being of equal or higher status to the nobles she visits?

Is she going around telling everyone, "Hi, I'm princess X!" If so, then it's going to interfere with her adventuring career in various ways, from people trying to protect her to people holding her for ransom. But if not, then she has a Secret, which is worth negative points, depending on how disruptive the reveal might be to her adventuring career; I'd guess -10 might be about right. And NOT claiming her Legal Immunity would be part of keeping that Secret. So it could be bought as a potential advantage for half the points.

Does her father support her adventuring activities? If he just tolerates them, but doesn't do anything to encourage her, he may not be a Patron.

So I think you could get her down to Status 5 [25], potential Legal Immunity [8], and Secret [-10]. Looking at Legal Immunity, I think maybe it could be only [5]: I doubt that she can do nearly anything she pleases, as she probably has to obey her father and in some things her mother or any older brothers. Having more relaxed laws seems about right. That gets you a net cost of 20 points.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 09:57 AM   #24
jason taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
Bad things happening to other people is up to the GM. A modern example would be an adolescent character who masquerades as an adult (I was able to purchase beer at the age of 14 because I looked 21 when I was a freshman in high school and I have known plenty of girls with similar 'mature' looks). A 14 year old character who is a runaway who claims to be 21 (acquiring Secret (Runaway)) and develops friendships and sexual relationships with the other characters in the group. If her secret comes out, the adult characters in the group could be looking at prison time for child endangerment and/or statutory rape ('but she said she was 21' is rarely accepted as a legitimate defense). The cost to the character with the Secret though is Enemies (people sent to jail because of her stunt), Social Stigma (Criminal, since she likely stole someone's identity, and Minor), and reduced Wealth.
Is this a DF? Most of the examples are modern.
Old 06-30-2018, 11:36 AM   #25
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humabout View Post
...we aren't talking about a trait that lets you access a new discount. Literally anyone can attempt to get the black market discount. And we arent talking about a trait that gives you a bonus to getting that discount, either. We are talking abiut a trait that lets you avoid an annoyance that only occurs 1.5% of the time or less. That doesnt sound equivalent at all.
You may have a point. Mostly in my games no one ever wants to pursue those options as they feel the risk overwhelms the rewards. So if the risk were removed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
Does she have a special right to be received as a guest, exceeding what follows from her just being of equal or higher status to the nobles she visits?
Why is does everyone keep insisting on 'real world' problems interfering? It's DF. They aren't in the real world in any shape or form.

If the Player wants to play Warrior Princess Xena, royal adventurer just let them go to town the dungeon.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 11:51 AM   #26
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
Why is does everyone keep insisting on 'real world' problems interfering? It's DF. They aren't in the real world in any shape or form.

If the Player wants to play Warrior Princess Xena, royal adventurer just let them go to town the dungeon.
"The French don't care what they do, actually, as long as they pronounce it properly."
— Henry Higgins, in My Fair Lady

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 12:13 PM   #27
AlexanderHowl

I agree, just give her Courtesy Title 5 (Political Rank), Status 1, and Wealth (Very Wealthy), the equivalent of Zena, and there you go (which ends up being a total of 35 CP). She gets $20,000 worth of equipment and gets to sell any loot in town at 100% of new value due to her connections from her wealth. On occasion, she gets to use her Courtesy Title to impress people, but she is otherwise just a very wealthy adventurer with an impressive backstory.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 05:43 AM   #28
malloyd

Quote:

That. "Insists she is a Princess" is a tolerable quirk.

You could stop right there. If the player isn't happy with that, you need to discuss the effects they *expect* it to have with them, not try to impose them based on what you think they are, because the possible range is tremendous. And for out of the box DF, be prepared to veto some ideas outright as out of scope for game that has no real social elements.
Old 07-01-2018, 10:11 AM   #29
Humabout

Quote:
You may have a point. Mostly in my games no one ever wants to pursue those options as they feel the risk overwhelms the rewards. So if the risk were removed...
I get that, and in your group, it might be worth more than [1], but I suspect that overall, it's not a huge deal.

Free Stuff:
Dungeon Action!
Totem Spirits

My Blog: Above the Flatline.
Humabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 11:28 PM   #30
jason taylor

Are there any skills that might be taught a princess that would be useful adventuring?

In real life that would be tricky because while a prince might be taught the normal skills of a warrior-noble, a princess will hardly be expected to do that and her main skill may be how-to-flutter-her-eyelashes-properly.

In a fantasy realm of course different ideas can occur. There may be types of magic that are specifically attuned to princesses.