Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-11-2016, 11:39 AM   #11
GodBeastX

Default Re: Submissive Disadvantage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by McAllister View Post
I'll weigh in against Slave Mentality. Slave Mentality isn't just the obligation to follow commands, it is also the inability to initiate action without being ordered to do so.

"You must
make an IQ roll at -8 before you can
take any action that isn’t either obeying
a direct order or part of an established
routine."

This doesn't sound like what you want at all, and I don't think you can modify it to fit. "Slave Mentality, except you can do whatever you want, except when someone of high Status gives you an order" is going to be hard to express in modifiers, right? And you autofail Will rolls to resist influence. Modifiers are also bad at making something become infinite, or stop being infinite, including penalties to rolls.

With Compulsive Obedience, you could adjust the self-control roll based on the perceived Status/Charisma/whatever of the person pressuring the character, which is great, because then your Compulsively Obedient character can have whatever Will score you want without getting the ability to say no to people. It's ultimately up to you, but I think you'll find this a better fit.
You make a good point. It probably is a Compulsive Behavior to do as told. And then a limitation to only do so to those above you.

For specifics of what this has to do with. It's for Imps being created to do what demons tell them. So it's only affect demons in the caste.
Old 10-11-2016, 11:44 AM   #12
GodBeastX

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodBeastX View Post
You make a good point. It probably is a Compulsive Behavior to do as told. And then a limitation to only do so to those above you.

For specifics of what this has to do with. It's for Imps being created to do what demons tell them. So it's only affect demons in the caste.
In retrospect I wonder if Duty might cover this. I wanted it to be some sort of inborn trait for imps to do it, but if you don't have involuntary on duty then it sorta makes sense.
Old 10-11-2016, 01:13 PM   #13
Agent

Selfless seems like the better fit here, with a limitation for the restricted, prioritized 'others'. If absolute, give it the 'N/A' self-control number for 2.5x cost (not sure what all books that is in but it's in Zombies at the least).
Old 10-11-2016, 01:45 PM   #14
David Johnston2

Sense of duty...social superiors.
David Johnston2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 02:34 PM   #15
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
Sense of duty...social superiors.
Or a Code of Honor. If you're always courteous and respectful, but won't go to your death, it's a quirk. Otherwise it might be from -5 to -10.
Old 10-11-2016, 03:20 PM   #16
GodBeastX

Sense of Duty is definitely not it. The Imps don't necessarily like or care about the upper demons at all. It's more "Oh, I better do what they tell me!" So they aren't going out of their way to lump more work on themselves.
Old 10-11-2016, 03:33 PM   #17
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

If you don't want just reduced Will, you may consider looking at Susceptibility to Influence, either full or narrowed down.
Old 10-11-2016, 04:34 PM   #18
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Sense of Duty is definitely not it. The Imps don't necessarily like or care about the upper demons at all. It's more "Oh, I better do what they tell me!" So they aren't going out of their way to lump more work on themselves.
If it's in their best interests to obey for fear of negative repercussions, then it shouldn't be a disadvantage at all.
In that case, pride would be the dangerous trait, not obsequiousness.
(Now that's a $60 word I had to look up to make sure my mind wasn't just making stuff up.)
Old 10-11-2016, 04:58 PM   #19
starslayer

Reprogrammable : people of higher station than me.
starslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 05:25 PM   #20
David Johnston2

Quote:
This would be a lot easier if you left charisma out of it.
David Johnston2 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
custom, disadvantages