Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2018, 06:18 PM   #21
Skarg
 
Join Date: May 2015
Default Re: New Staff to-hit roll using IQ! (serious balance problem, no?)

Looks like you are correct. I forgot about that. That ability alone is/would-be a huge boost to staffs as they were.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 07:46 PM   #22
Shostak
 
Shostak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: New England
Default Re: New Staff to-hit roll using IQ! (serious balance problem, no?)

Rolling against the higher of DX and IQ for staff attacks has to be a mistake. It is like letting a Melee hero roll against the higher of ST and DX to hit with a weapon.
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 08:00 PM   #23
tomc
 
tomc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Carrboro, NC
Default Re: New Staff to-hit roll using IQ! (serious balance problem, no?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shostak View Post
Rolling against the higher of DX and IQ for staff attacks has to be a mistake. It is like letting a Melee hero roll against the higher of ST and DX to hit with a weapon.
Given Steve Jackson's track record, I'm willing to give the changes a chance. Some things will be different, but they might be more fun.
__________________
OgreMap2

Freedom of Speech is not Freedom of Podium
tomc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 08:28 PM   #24
platimus
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: behind you
Default Re: New Staff to-hit roll using IQ! (serious balance problem, no?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shostak View Post
Rolling against the higher of DX and IQ for staff attacks has to be a mistake. It is like letting a Melee hero roll against the higher of ST and DX to hit with a weapon.
To be honest, I don't think it makes much of a difference. A good wizard is bound to have decent DX and IQ. He needs the IQ to memorize more spells and learn high-level spells. He needs the DX to cast them.

But that's the thing with me. If it doesn't make much of a difference, why do it? It's so weird compared to all other attacks.
platimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 09:34 PM   #25
hcobb
 
hcobb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Pacheco, California
Default Re: New Staff to-hit roll using IQ! (serious balance problem, no?)

If you are using just Wizard then a wizard who doesn't recast Staff has no physical attacks at all because he's not a Myrmidon. (Or change the note on page 19 to all humanoids.)
__________________
-HJC
hcobb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 09:45 PM   #26
David Bofinger
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Sydney, Australia
Default Re: New Staff to-hit roll using IQ! (serious balance problem, no?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by platimus View Post
A good wizard is bound to have decent DX and IQ. He needs the IQ to memorize more spells and learn high-level spells. He needs the DX to cast them.
To clarify: can a non-wizard learn the staff spell and make attacks using IQ? The SJ article speaks of a wizard but doesn't say explicitly non-wizards can't do it.

If so I guess this becomes the attack mode of preference for skill monkeys.

ST 8, DX 8, IQ 16
Staff IV, 13 points of talents.
Leather armour, large shield
David Bofinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 10:36 PM   #27
platimus
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: behind you
Default Re: New Staff to-hit roll using IQ! (serious balance problem, no?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Bofinger View Post
To clarify: can a non-wizard learn the staff spell and make attacks using IQ? The SJ article speaks of a wizard but doesn't say explicitly non-wizards can't do it.

If so I guess this becomes the attack mode of preference for skill monkeys.

ST 8, DX 8, IQ 16
Staff IV, 13 points of talents.
Leather armour, large shield
Steve says here that ONLY a wizard can make a staff:
http://forums.sjgames.com/showpost.p...&postcount=135
platimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 06:59 AM   #28
hcobb
 
hcobb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Pacheco, California
Default Re: New Staff to-hit roll using IQ! (serious balance problem, no?)

Can you carve a small shield from a single suitably shaped "any piece of wood" as per WSRB page 1? What happens if you then shield-rush with your unusually shaped staff that offers no penalty to your spell casting as per Wizard page 19?
__________________
-HJC
hcobb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 08:45 AM   #29
larsdangly
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Default Re: New Staff to-hit roll using IQ! (serious balance problem, no?)

This isn't a big deal to me because it is trivial to modify if you don't like it. I just treat the staff attack as any other spell or attack roll (vs. DX). And, if the free action and auto-hit properties of the staff attack are found in the published version of ITL I'll just put my thumb over those as well.

Most of the new staff qualities seem fun and in keeping with the game, but the IQ roll, auto-hit and (particularly) free action properties strike me as being bit like the old hobbit+boomarang conundrum: Not the end of the world, but also one of those those funny spots in the rules that encourage players to design weird characters to take advantage of a breakdown in the balance that reigns over most of the game.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 11:56 AM   #30
Shostak
 
Shostak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: New England
Default Re: New Staff to-hit roll using IQ! (serious balance problem, no?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by platimus View Post
To be honest, I don't think it makes much of a difference. A good wizard is bound to have decent DX and IQ. He needs the IQ to memorize more spells and learn high-level spells. He needs the DX to cast them.

But that's the thing with me. If it doesn't make much of a difference, why do it? It's so weird compared to all other attacks.
There is a big difference in probability when moving, say, from 11 to 12 as the target for a 3d6 roll, so a wizard with DX 11 and IQ 12 will be far more effective with a staff under the new rule.
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.