Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 05-25-2020, 02:23 AM   #11
zot

Default Re: Healing Spell Idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
This figure uses existing spells and abilities to heal. She does everything you suggest easier.
Except that his spells cause damage, not fatigue, so Molly's not very good at this. I think his point is to replace the current healing magic with spells like these.
zot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 01:03 PM   #12
Skarg

Quote:
My house ruling is that she can not apply Master Physicker after using Regeneration to raise the target from -20 ST to zero ST.
My RAW ruling is that Regeneration takes 1 week to heal any damage, and that the -20 ST character is dead within an hour, making Regeneration useless.

My house ruling is that the -20 ST character is dead immediately, making Regeneration useless immediately.

My campaign setting also lacks any known person who knows Regeneration.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 01:09 PM   #13
Skarg

Quote:
I.e. the clerics in this game are the wizards who can cure all wounds and diseases and once they've got a few XPs raise the dead.
Pretty sure the clerics in TFT are people with the Priest talent (or people with a "cleric" title who may or may not have the talent), which doesn't heal anything unless the GM invents some such power for certain priests.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 12:58 AM   #14
Anomylous

I'm just gonna paste in the Healing spell I wrote a little while back. It's my own implementation of an idea that's been around for a while, which is essentially a powered-down version of Regeneration. This isn't mutually exclusive with healing spells that work instantly by transferring damage, either; you could have both and they'd be good in different situations.

IQ 12
Healing (T): Turbo-charges natural healing processes, healing damage over the course of 24 hours. Erase damage tallies at the end of that time. Only one Healing spell can be in effect at a time; a new casting will replace the old one, though if enough time has passed, the old one may have already taken partial effect. Can heal damage from poison or disease but will not remove the underlying cause, if it’s still present. Physicker talent and healing potions still have normal effect and don’t interfere. An active Healing spell will get picked up by Detect/Reveal/Analyze Magic; Analyze Magic will tell how many points it’s for. ST cost: 3 per point healed.

Notes: you could easily tinker with the ST cost, to reflect how easy/hard you want magical healing to be. I figured 3 would make it reasonably accessible, but the party's wizard will sometimes need to make tough choices about which of their wounded companions take priority, because they almost certainly won't have enough ST to heal everyone fully after a tough fight, even after the Physicker does her bit (especially considering that their ST is probably already depleted from the battle). Armies, employing lots of wizards and apprentices and maybe Drain ST on healthy volunteers, would definitely use this spell to get wounded soldiers back on their feet quickly, but I don't see that as a bad thing.
Anomylous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 08:48 AM   #15
Axly Suregrip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anomylous View Post
IQ 12
Healing (T): Turbo-charges natural healing processes, healing damage over the course of 24 hours. Erase damage tallies at the end of that time. Only one Healing spell can be in effect at a time; a new casting will replace the old one, though if enough time has passed, the old one may have already taken partial effect. Can heal damage from poison or disease but will not remove the underlying cause, if it’s still present. Physicker talent and healing potions still have normal effect and don’t interfere. An active Healing spell will get picked up by Detect/Reveal/Analyze Magic; Analyze Magic will tell how many points it’s for. ST cost: 3 per point healed.
This seems well balanced. Takes 24 hours to heal, so it is not going to save a life that is at negative health and it is not going to extend a dungeon run, but it will help alone a campaign. That is, it adds to the game without warping the game. Nicely done.
Axly Suregrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 10:09 AM   #16
hcobb

Why are you giving a faster spell than Regeneration at a lower IQ level?
Old 06-07-2020, 05:13 PM   #17
Anomylous

Because the human(oid) body doesn't naturally regrow lost limbs etc, like Regeneration will. This spell only does what the body would do on its own, just faster.
Anomylous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 12:40 AM   #18
David Bofinger

The mechanism you're using - damage transferred to the wizard - would make sense for some concepts of a healer but not all. And probably isn't in the spirit of TFT wizards.

Perhaps the damage suffered should heal quickly. That feels more in the spirit of such damage to me since it would be weird if actual bones broke, etc.

Another mechanism might be that for Increase IQ potions: the more times you use them, the more risk of damage (probably not permanent: the ITL 146 rules are nasty.) So e.g. the nth time you use the healing spell in some period or other the patient rolls n dice against ST. If the patient succeeds they get healed. If not they don't get healed and they take a -1 to a random attribute. The -1 heals eventually but takes a while.

Yet another mechanism would be to make healing really easy and effective and not worry about it. Damage is something that matters during a fight but goes away pretty quick after. I think the game works perfectly well like that.
David Bofinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 06:54 AM   #19
hcobb

IQ 13 Coma(T): Same limitations as the Sleep spell, but a more powerful effect. The victim must attempt a 4/(current ST) health saving throw every hour, every turn an adjacent figure attempts to wake them, or every time they suffer damage and on a success they awaken. While in the coma their wounds do not bleed (stopping the one-hour death clock) and they recover one hit of damage for each hour in the coma, this time also counts as rest to recover fatigue. Unfortunately they suffer one hit of exposure damage for every 24 hours spent in the coma (which Coma itself will not cure). Cost: 5 ST.