Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Closed Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 12:26 PM   #1
Dinofreak2000

Default Re-Opening the Gates of Cidri

How many saw the word "Cidri" and where like "really? the granddaddy of GURPS, the Fantasty Trip!"

yup, i plan on playing out all the microquest games in my GURPS game. Someoen tipped me off to a place where i can get all the modules and such (already had TFT Adv Melee and Adv Wiz) so i jumped at it. after reading Death Test 1 & 2 and Security station i am filled with warm squishy feelings for the games i played back in Cali. (if anyone has the Interplays i would love to get the TFT based articles, i have a couple from a friend, but not a complete set, so drop me a line)

And since i moved about 8 days ago my gaming group fell apart. now i am only in contact with 1 player (he lives a few blocks away) due to a lack of a phone (my eldest bro is cool enough to be sending me one, awesome turd that he is...) i figured why not play something easy and pretty straight forward. with college starting (takin Genetics, some basic computer class and Chem I) i won't have time to prep a game. So now i shall be practicing my impromptu skills and using modules (after all the microquests i'm gonna run a couple of my fav DnD, like the Slavers, maybe even the new Ruins of Castle Greyhawk).

as for setting, i was gonna use the open eneded Cidri one from the TFT main book. i am thinknig about moving my game to the net. i played in a couple chat based games, they seemed to work. anyone have any ideas along these lines? has anyone tried to play by sending out pics of the game to players every round? even done an audio set up?
Old 08-22-2007, 02:21 PM   #2
Akicita

Default Re: Re-Opening the Gates of Cidri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinofreak2000
How many saw the word "Cidri" and were like "really? the granddaddy of GURPS, the Fantasty Trip!"
I, for one. Don't have any help for you on the other questions, though.
Old 08-23-2007, 08:48 AM   #3
arnej

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinofreak2000
How many saw the word "Cidri" and where like "really? the granddaddy of GURPS, the Fantasty Trip!"
I've also got several TFT books on my gaming shelf.

While the microgames are great, I'd start them with Tollenkar's Lair. It has
much more of a story behind it. Then if you can find Forest Lords of Darok,
do that one (I think that's the title.)

Of course, there are TFT resources on the web.

Have fun!

Arne
Old 08-23-2007, 09:05 AM   #4
AOTA

Most of the information on Cidri is in the In the Labyrinth supplement. Even so there isn't a huge amount. This site has some info. I've played in Cidri before in some TFT games and its an interesting place it pretty much allows you to drop any fantasy setting ideas you want into it.
Mib#3477
Formally Bobzilla
GURPS Checker for Prime Directive
Old 08-23-2007, 11:23 AM   #5
Dinofreak2000

sorry, i mean In the Labyrinth when i say main book. i guess i really shouldn't.

but cidri was essentially what Bobzilla said. i think more of it because i still have all the maps and other materials my friends and i made back in high school. i will be sprucing them up a bit, but there is alot there.

i am gonna start the campaign with a trip to Ardonirane from the Bendwyn area. there the PCs will be convinced to go through Thorz's Death test (1) after i was thinking of Orb Quest, then Death test 2 and Tollenkar... from there i was gonna use the material i have and move the game to "the Lands Beyond the Mountains" (ala Forest Lords of Dihar) following with golden unicorn, silver dragon and master of the amulets... some where in there i will toss in Security station if the players are gettin a touch complacent (i have notes my old gm used to alter ST with some interesting futuristic traps and a couple unique encounters).

i still have the map for a continent i made (covered with jungles, dinosaurs and cannibals) and a photocopy of a friend's part of a continent that is riddled with a strange version of Rome.

nostalgia take me away... lol
Old 08-23-2007, 10:03 PM   #6
Apache
On Notice

You know, thinking about it, SJG should do GURPS Cidri. Make it a e23 thingie, whaterver, but I think there should be another 'default Fantasy setting' besides Yrth....even tho I like Yrth, others don't, and Cidri fits the bill, I reck.
Old 08-24-2007, 07:30 AM   #7
xerxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobzilla
Most of the information on Cidri is in the In the Labyrinth supplement. Even so there isn't a huge amount. This site has some info. I've played in Cidri before in some TFT games and its an interesting place it pretty much allows you to drop any fantasy setting ideas you want into it.
Sounds like a ringworld.
Old 08-24-2007, 07:51 AM   #8
AOTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache
You know, thinking about it, SJG should do GURPS Cidri. Make it a e23 thingie, whatever, but I think there should be another 'default Fantasy setting' besides Yrth....even tho I like Yrth, others don't, and Cidri fits the bill, I reck.
Unfortunately SJG doesn't have the rights to Cidri. There's a long and boring legal story behind that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xerxes
Sounds like a ringworld.
Cidri could easily be a ringworld. It wouldn't be hard to create a new fantasy world based around a ringworld with some similar ideas to Cidri and not be Cidri. Maybe we could call it Cidring :).
Mib#3477
Formally Bobzilla
GURPS Checker for Prime Directive

Last edited by Bobzilla; 01-23-2008 at 10:51 AM.
Old 08-26-2007, 11:03 PM   #9
hal

I've still got some of the Kingdom Modules such as Forest Lords of Dihad and The Warrior Lords of Darok. My favorite solo module was Grail Quest. My favorite memories of roleplaying center around TFT and Advanced Wizard. I remember using gates in TFT that were such that my wizard character could build cities in the sky. Picture a chessboard with its white and black squares. Now imagine each Black and white square side by side were gates such that if you dropped a stone pillar into the black square, the pillar would come out in the adjacent white square. Now, imagine having a slew of such gates beneath the foundation of a flying city such that all the stone pillars going into the gates were the same length. Put a stone floor above those pillars and they would push on both ends of the same stone pillar at the same time - compacting them towards their center of column. Our wizard characters also built a perpetual falls where the water would enter one end of the gate, and exit at the top of the waterfall area. The water would fall and reenter at the bottom gate, repeating the process. Of course we had a waterwheel to translate the water falling into energy ;)

You know, after all this time, if someone were to get into contact with the original owner of Metagames, the price for TFT might be a touch more reasonable. Maybe.

https://www.worldanvil.com/w/scourge-of-shards-schpdx

Go to bottom of page to see lectures 1-11
Old 08-27-2007, 05:58 AM   #10
pyratejohn

"Oh! Oh! Pick me! Pick me! Mr Kot-ter!"

I would say Melee/Wizard/etc are, after Traveller, my favorite games to pine for when thinking about my gaming "good old days."

Being a cartographer, over the years I've fiddled around with a creating a basic Melee map at GURPS ground scale, as a tif and in jpg. Also, I made a room with a one megahex shaded area in the center (note, my interpretation of a megahex is slightly different). They can be found at...

http://www.piratebrethren.com/gamestuff/MELEE1.TIF
http://www.piratebrethren.com/gamestuff/melee1.jpg
http://www.piratebrethren.com/gamestuff/room1.jpg
http://www.piratebrethren.com/gamestuff/room1.tif
http://www.piratebrethren.com/gamestuff/SMALLMAP.JPG
Closed Thread