Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Illuminati Headquarters > SJ Games Discussion

Old 04-19-2017, 03:40 AM   #1081
Celjabba

Default Re: Report To The Stakeholders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack_JB View Post
That may come back to bite you one day though. Like it or not, traditional retail is dying, and ten years from now, the FLGS may be a fond memory just as dedicated model railroad shops are now. Of course, a FLGS can give you play areas, something train stores couldn't -- but from what I'm hearing, many of these FLGS don't bother to either stock GURPS products or run games featuring it.

So what about making the GURPS line something you can only get directly from W23 or SJG? Keep Munchkin, Ogre, Car Wars, et. al. in the FLGS, of course; just make GURPS a "boutique line" that can only be gotten direct. Cutting out all the middlemen also means things could be offered slightly cheaper. There's a precedence for this in various other hobby areas, but it would be something new for SJG.

Just thinking out loud.
Amusingly enough, there are 2 dedicated model railroad shops within 20 km, but not a single LGS, F or not, carrying RPG within 150km.

I did try to convince some LGS to get some game books before ... there was usually several weeks of delay, assuming they managed to get it. Discworld was unavailable, I ended getting it from amazon at nearly twice retail, which was still cheaper than e23+shipping.

So, for physical books, it is either a 200km trip or amazon/ebay/facebook trades groups. Or waiting for a convention with a retailer or gamestore booth, but they are very unlikely to carry any recent Gurps books.
(I wonder if there would be sales if SJGames had a shelf of Gurps book at Essen ?)

I will run a Discworld game this weekend at Luxcon, but if someone want to buy the game, I am unsure what to answer, to be honest.
Celjabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 12:42 PM   #1082
bloftin2

I follow y'all on all your social media channels and check the website compulsively. But that's just how I am. I will pretty much buy any GURPS stuff that is interesting or useful to me. Loving the availability of the new print on demand stuff, of which I have bought quite a lot.
bloftin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 03:35 PM   #1083
pestigor

We're now living in the house Munchkin built. This house was once built by Gurps but that time has long past. To be honest, I'm grateful that SJGames still supports Gurps. I bought a Tablet years ago and made myself learn how to quickly navigate PDF's on it because I saw the writing on the wall and I didn't want to be a Luddite eventually stuck with few options.

If SJGames find they can only support PDF products, I'll stick with them, I just hope they can keep Gurps going in any form. I plan on buying as much DF stuff as I can (I was broke when the KS was happening) I have a standing order at my FLGS when they show up in their distribution network.

I get my news from the Gurps forum, which I check everyday and I'll see PK or Dr Kromm post news there.I always go to the illuminator before I go to the forums because I have ASD and I can't get away from patterns easily. I only bother to read the Illuminator if I see Gurps otherwise I ignore it. A feed of only Gurps news (and only *insert game you like here* news) is great.

My Point is, we're lucky if Gurps is getting produced and supported at all. I'll take it in any form I have to, to enjoy it.
pestigor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 03:41 PM   #1084
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by pestigor View Post

My Point is, we're lucky if Gurps is getting produced and supported at all. I'll take it in any form I have to, to enjoy it.
I agree with this. To me any useful suggestions are practical ways to increase sales without significant risk or additional cost (including man hours).
Kind of hard to do but I have seen what I think are some good ideas.
Even better this thread has resulted in some changes and some of us learned about new channels.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 10:34 PM   #1085
DocRailgun

There is at least one person I know who bought the 3rd ed. Discworld book. When I mentioned to him that there is a new version, he shrugged. "Why should I buy another edition of the same book?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bert View Post
Broken distribution or whatnot, it is simply a shame that the Discworld RPG is not showing up on more shelves. I think GURPS is a fantastic system and that led me to buy the book - which I think is great - but I also feel that thanks to the interesting contents of the book (Discworld, Pratchett) and the excellent treatment as an RPG (which I would attribute mostly to Phil), the Discworld RPG constitutes an extremely good entry point for GURPS as a system. And like D Cole pointed out above, the setting really shows the strengths of GURPS.

Thanks to the SJG team for the openness and transparency of the stakeholders report. Let us hope that the DFRPG helps generate more interest for GURPS. I will get it from my FLGS, as I did with Discworld.
DocRailgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 12:20 AM   #1086
lachimba

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocRailgun View Post
There is at least one person I know who bought the 3rd ed. Discworld book. When I mentioned to him that there is a new version, he shrugged. "Why should I buy another edition of the same book?"
Um because it's not the same book?

Did you explain that to him? What was the next step in the conversation?

Ok well that leaves the other 20 million who bought Discworld novels, but never bought either edition.
lachimba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 03:50 AM   #1087
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen Smith View Post
. . . the report says this was due to a mis-communication with the manufacturer . . .
The factory was in no way involved in the miscommunications and mistakes that have delayed the project.
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 08:12 AM   #1088
Anders

Quote:
OK, so do you know how to prevent a recurrence of these miscommunications and mistakes?
Isn't a little bit early for a post-mortem of the project? It's not finished yet.
Old 04-20-2017, 12:03 PM   #1089
adm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
Isn't a little bit early for a post-mortem of the project? It's not finished yet.
This isn't a project post mortem, this appears to be a single identified issue. Fixing it now, before it reoccurs makes sense.
Old 04-20-2017, 12:33 PM   #1090
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
OK, so do you know how to prevent a recurrence of these miscommunications and mistakes?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by adm View Post
This isn't a project post mortem, this appears to be a single identified issue. Fixing it now, before it reoccurs makes sense.
Just to put some viscosity into this:

If the issue is that specific and identified, then if Phil wanted to say what was wrong and what the fix was, he would have. This suggests that there was either a discrete decision (or subset) that went wrong, and to identify it is to air dirty laundry in public, which is something SJG has been blessedly loath to do, or there's a process or subsystem that needs fixing, which again is internal business process stuff that as customers we don't really need to know. It also might fall into "dirty laundry" category, in that the answer might be "Doug dorks this up on a regular basis, and so we need systems in place to either remove that decision from his hands, or educate him on the business logic that drives different calls here." Which again, is best handled behind closed doors.

So . . . Phil has said there was an issue, and they'll either hunt it down and try a fix, or they've already hunted it down, and the fix will remain "below the waterline," and hopefully just won't rear its head again.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote