Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-06-2014, 02:23 PM   #1
foxanik

Default Most fun magic system for DF game?

Hello!

Ok, I know "fun" is very subjective, but still I'm counting on interesting options from you.

I'm willing to start Dungeon Fantasy game and I want something interesting for mages. It has to be quick and not too overly complicated, because that's not the point of the whole DF game.

Is there anything better than standard magic system?
foxanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 02:34 PM   #2
Nereidalbel

Default Re: Most fun magic system for DF game?

Threshold-Limited Magery (assuming you get full Recovery between dungeons) lets mages pull some epic stuff, as long as they're careful.

RPM can do powerful things, but, all combat spells need to be prepared ahead of time if a mage wants to be useful in combat.

Magic As Powers is nice, but probably doesn't fit in the points budget for DF.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 02:42 PM   #3
Dwarf99

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxanik View Post
The entire known universe, including DND 4.

I kid of course, but on a more serious note, I did Powers As Magic and pegged Enchantment as a 25 point Permanent Affliction of 1 CPxMagery per 8 working hours.

Alternately, the Metatronic Generators numbers used with RPM is also a complete magic system. Potions with Duration based on Alchemy is neat.
Dwarf99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 02:44 PM   #4
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwarf99 View Post
I kid of course, but on a more serious note, I did Powers As Magic and pegged Enchantment as a 25 point Permanent Affliction of 1 CPxMagery per 8 working hours.
Heh, Permanent Affliction with Cumulative + Requiring 8 hours of "prep time?" May just have to try that.
Old 05-06-2014, 02:49 PM   #5
Dwarf99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereidalbel View Post
Heh, Permanent Affliction with Cumulative + Requiring 8 hours of "prep time?" May just have to try that.
Yep. It was 1 point for Magery (or rather Power Talent) 1, 2 points for MPT 2, etc. My build was 21-24 points so I called it 25 point UB and called it good :D
Dwarf99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 03:36 PM   #6
Culture20

Doggerel or syntactic magic can be fun if your players are good sports with the failures.
Culture20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 03:46 PM   #7
Onkl

I've tried RPM for DF (As per Langys Post) and was not satisfied with the results. At our table, it lead to endless discussions what is in genre and what is not. Too much freedom I guess.

We've returned to DF RAW, with GURPS Magic overridden by "Wizardry Refined" from the 3rd Dungeon Fantasy Pyramid issue.

For me as a GM and for my group, this has yielded the best results, thus enabling us to have the most fun.

Cheers

Onkl
Onkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 04:46 PM   #8
DAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxanik View Post
Hello!

Ok, I know "fun" is very subjective, but still I'm counting on interesting options from you.

I'm willing to start Dungeon Fantasy game and I want something interesting for mages. It has to be quick and not too overly complicated, because that's not the point of the whole DF game.

"Better" is subjective too, and dependent on what you are trying to "improve".

My suggestion is to start with the standard system, and then introduce other systems (threshold, runic, RPM, advantage based, etc) with NPC casters first. Let PCs learn if you like the play of the system. Quests to find the magic pool that will change their standard system to threshold are a fun hook.

The reminder is that the standard system does not allow battlefield commanding blaster mages like in D&D/Pathfinder/etc. A Wizard will likely influence a battle more by casting Greate Haste on his Knight and Scout buddy, than by casting fireballs.
-Dan
DAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 05:05 PM   #9
Nereidalbel

Come to think of it, Threshold-Limited Magery with the Variable Energy Access enhancement gives your standard mages the option of infinite mana, at the risk of blowing themselves up.
Old 05-06-2014, 08:23 PM   #10
Crakkerjakk
"Gimme 18 minutes . . ."

I like this:

College Ritual Book Magic

Courtesy of Mark Langsdorf.

Wizards aren't such generalists, but within their specialties they have a broad ability to improvise, they lug around books that lets them reliably toss off standardized spells, you have some Threshold stuff but with a better Calamity Table, and a unifying system for making various types of damaging spells.

Semper Fi
Crakkerjakk is offline   Reply With Quote