Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 08-10-2012, 12:39 PM   #11
cornixt
Banned

Default Re: Munchkin and Expansions

Just realised that I never considered the new races/classes added in the expansions, that probably makes up the difference - so you'd be less likely to get an Elf card but about the same chance of getting any race card.
cornixt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 04:16 PM   #12
Clipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brf View Post
That is a really big deck. It might be overwhelming to try to teach a new player with a deck that size.
I recently discovered this for myself. Ended up with 4 newbies and myself on a table and I was aching to play Fantasy as I hadn't done so in a few weeks and I had been expecting to have a bunch of veterans at the table instead.

I would not recommend it, although everybody did still enjoy themselves amongst the confusion and chaos. It didn't help that there were some of the crazier Portals thrown into the mix very early on, which had us in a dungeon where everybody had an extra Race, everybody had an extra Class (had to go deck diving for both these dungeons) and everybody was an Elf (I just get everybody Fairy Dust cards to represent this as I wasn't crazy enough to be playing with that) about 3 rounds in...
Old 08-10-2012, 05:51 PM   #13
bonetm

It's easier to just ignore the Portals and Dungeons if playing with new players. Just tell them that if any Portal card comes up they should discard it and get another.
MiB: #1602
bonetm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 08:23 PM   #14
Flemroid

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreePointz View Post
Well actually the ratio of race/class cards to door cards in say Munchkin 1-5 is pretty much the same as the base Munchkin, about one fifth*. Munchkin 1 has 21 Race/Class cards and 95 door cards (0.22). Munchkin 1-5 has 76 Race/Class cards and 365 Door cards (0.21). I didn't include Munchkin 6 because the cards it adds are essentially skipped; you draw another door to replace portals after you play them. I also omitted Munchkin 7 because I thought it was for combining completely different sets, like cthulhu... in SPACE!

*Based on the official card lists.
Should CWBH only be used with different sets? Or can it be used with just a bunch of expansions or will it be too strong?
Old 08-10-2012, 09:41 PM   #15
MunchkinMan

Given the number of cards that would be in a complete set Munchkin, it would not suffer for having CWBH in it. I'm fairly certain that Andrew and I have covered this before, so with a little searching, you might find more detailed analysis.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 07:14 PM   #16
emillang1000

I can speak from experience - it really does help out.

Considering the shear number of races and classes in a full munchkin set, the 1/3 Breed, Chimera, and Ultra Munchkin cards alone help out tremendously.

Beyond that, there are just a lot of cards that really help out. It even includes creatures, so it doesn't dilute the deck of monsters.

----------

As far as numbers go, here:

In a full Munchkin set of normal-sized cards, made up of all available sets (including most of Munchkin Conan), packs, W23 packs, accessory cards, and colored promos - excluding any variants like the Santa sets, Fairy Dust, Munchkinomicon, the yet-unprinted Penny Arcade pack, and all "Conan-only" cards from Munchkin Conan (I've written about this before, but there're approx. 44 Conan cards don't fit well into a full set of Fantasy) - there are ~1124 (Fantasy) cards.

Of those 1124 cards, 663 of those cards are Doors.

Of THOSE 663 Door cards, you have 50 Race cards (7 each of 7 races + 1 extra Elf from a pack), 43 Class cards (7 each of 6 classes + 1 extra Warrior from a pack), and 12 "Human Subrace" Race cards from Conan; that's 105 Race/Class cards.

That comes out to roughly 1 Race/Class cards per every 6.3 cards.

In the original Munchkin, there are 21 Race/Class cards, in deck of 95 Door cards, which was roughly 1 Race/Class per every 4.5 cards.

Though the chances of drawing a Race/Class card from the Door deck are lower now, Hirelings and Steeds have lessened the need to actually have a Race or Class, and when taking into account all the Hirelings and Steeds in existence now, they even out the numbers to close to that 4.5 mark.

Last edited by emillang1000; 08-12-2012 at 10:05 PM.
emillang1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 07:28 PM   #17
UncleBob

Quote:
Originally Posted by emillang1000 View Post
and all "Conan-only" cards from Munchkin Conan (I've written about this before, but there're approx. 44 Conan cards don't fit well into a full set of Fantasy)
Link please?

I eventually want to create a Mega-Munchkin Fantasy set with all the Expansions and boosters (along with all the promo cards I can get my grubby little hands on) and believe I'll be adding the Conan set. Would like to read about your thoughts on adding it to the base Munchkin set.
UncleBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 08:08 PM   #18
Flemroid

I've heeded all the advice and gone ahead and mixed them all together. Now I just need a place to keep them and after buying all of them I don't wanna spend more money right now on box of holding. Maybe a tupperware will work :)
Old 08-12-2012, 10:16 PM   #19
emillang1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleBob View Post
Link please?

I eventually want to create a Mega-Munchkin Fantasy set with all the Expansions and boosters (along with all the promo cards I can get my grubby little hands on) and believe I'll be adding the Conan set. Would like to read about your thoughts on adding it to the base Munchkin set.
I can't recall - it's somewhere in this forum.

Conan works well with Munchkin 1, but adding any more dilutes the cardpool far too much for the Conan-Only cards to work well.

The 4 Conan Races, although only 3 a piece, are fine enough as "Human Sub-Races," since they merely get +2 boosts from being one of the 4 original races and the ability to use any instances of 1 type of weapon each.

Anyway, I took out the Birthrights, Classes (since they're just the original 4 from Munchkin), Comrades, and all other cards that make reference to Comrades, Birthrights, or the Conan-only races (there are just too few in a complete Munchkin set to work). If I remember correctly, that left about 132 cards that explicitly mentioned those cards.

The bad news there is that most of the cards taken out are Door cards. The good news is that only 3 Treasure cards fit the aforementioned criteria for exclusion, so Conan ends up being a very Treasure-heavy addition to a Munchkin collection, and a LOT of the treasures are really awesome (especially What is Best In Life).
Old 08-12-2012, 10:24 PM   #20
Clipper

Why would you need to take out the Comrade cards? They are the same thing as Hirelings, so all the Hireling-based cards would work on them and the Comrade-based cards would work on other Hirelings.

Edit: Perhaps you should also throw the Birthright cards back in. They'd have similar rarity as the Race and Class Enhancers. Leaving out the Treasures that are only usable by the Birthrights does seem like a fair enough idea, though.

Last edited by Clipper; 08-12-2012 at 10:40 PM.
Clipper is offline   Reply With Quote