Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-06-2021, 04:36 PM   #31
Christopher R. Rice

Default Re: Realm Management examples

I just want to say these are all so shiny. *_*

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 11:48 PM   #32
Ramidel

Here's a writeup of an RL country, with specific area, population and Realm Value redacted.

If it's easy to figure out what country I'm thinking of, then that should be a positive test for the system. Any guesses?

Realm Size Value: +16
Resource Points: Not listed
TL: 8
Citizen Loyalty: Good (15)
Cultural Traits: Humble
Infrastructure: 4
CR: 3/4[1]
Conformity: 4
Openness: 4/3[2]
Government Type: Bureaucratic Representative Democracy[3]
Economy: Capitalism
Education: 5
Management Skill (+15%): 15
Habitability: Poor (9)
RTM: +1
Realm Enhancements (+114%): Able Populace, Advanced Infrastructure, Appearance (Beautiful), Conventional Populace, Educated Populace, Higher Quality of Life, Loyal Citizenry
Realm Limitations (-45%): Hated 2, Only Toward Neighbors (-50%)[4], Hostile Climate, Infertile Territory, Soft-Power-Oriented, Uninhabitable Land
Social Resonance: +0, -2 with neighbors
Patron Value: 30
Enemy Value: -40
Inhabitants' Status: -2 to 7
Inhabitants' Wealth: Poor to Multimillionaire 4

Notes:
[1]De jure, and for taxation purposes, 3. Socially and de facto, 4; the rules for "normal behavior" are restrictive enough that the increase from ConR effectively applies at all times.
[2] Openness 3 to immigration and inclusion of outsiders. Openness 4 to visitors and adapting outside ideas.
[3] I could say Oligarchy, but I'm not going to.
[4] The country is seen as a reasonably good global citizen, but they have a lot of longstanding disputes in their own neighborhood.
Ramidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 01:14 AM   #33
maximara
On Notice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramidel View Post
Here's a writeup of an RL country, with specific area, population and Realm Value redacted.

If it's easy to figure out what country I'm thinking of, then that should be a positive test for the system. Any guesses?

Realm Size Value: +16
Resource Points: Not listed
TL: 8
Citizen Loyalty: Good (15)
Cultural Traits: Humble
Infrastructure: 4
CR: 3/4[1]
Conformity: 4
Openness: 4/3[2]
Government Type: Bureaucratic Representative Democracy[3]
Economy: Capitalism
Education: 5
Management Skill (+15%): 15
Habitability: Poor (9)
RTM: +1
Realm Enhancements (+114%): Able Populace, Advanced Infrastructure, Appearance (Beautiful), Conventional Populace, Educated Populace, Higher Quality of Life, Loyal Citizenry
Realm Limitations (-45%): Hated 2, Only Toward Neighbors (-50%)[4], Hostile Climate, Infertile Territory, Soft-Power-Oriented, Uninhabitable Land
Social Resonance: +0, -2 with neighbors
Patron Value: 30
Enemy Value: -40
Inhabitants' Status: -2 to 7
Inhabitants' Wealth: Poor to Multimillionaire 4

Notes:
[1]De jure, and for taxation purposes, 3. Socially and de facto, 4; the rules for "normal behavior" are restrictive enough that the increase from ConR effectively applies at all times.
[2] Openness 3 to immigration and inclusion of outsiders. Openness 4 to visitors and adapting outside ideas.
[3] I could say Oligarchy, but I'm not going to.
[4] The country is seen as a reasonably good global citizen, but they have a lot of longstanding disputes in their own neighborhood.
While the Realm Size Value +16 helps as that puts it between 50,001 and 107,722 square miles or 129,502 to 278,990 square km we are still missing key parts of the stat block:
Total Area:
Population:

Pulling out wikipedia's List of countries and dependencies by area the realm is between Nicaragua at 130,373 km^2 (50,337 mi^2) and Philippines at 300,000 km^2 (120,000 mi^2). That still leaves us with 20+ realms to work with.

It is isn't a fair test of the system if you don't give us as much information is possible especially when it would make things easier.
Help make a digital reference for GURPS by coming to the GURPS wiki and provide some information and links (such as to various Fanmade 4e Bestiaries) . Please, provide more then just a title and a page number.
maximara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 01:35 AM   #34
Christopher R. Rice

I have two thoughts here as the author about how this thread can serve others.

1) I think that if you're stating up real countries you're probably going to need to be really careful. I think we're all adults here but I would be extremely sad if this devolved into politics for the sake of politics. I know I can't tell anyone here what to do, but please don't bring the banhammer down. Be responsible, be careful, be good netizens. Please.

2) I'm not against guessing countries or realms...but that seems like a separate thread to me. This thread serves to give ready examples for the GM to use in their campaigns and I'd like it to stay that way. Could someone start such a guessing game thread and take this there please? Thank you.

Become a Patron!
Old 04-09-2021, 01:48 AM   #35
maximara
On Notice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher R. Rice View Post
I have two thoughts here as the author about how this thread can serve others.

1) I think that if you're stating up real countries you're probably going to need to be really careful. I think we're all adults here but I would be extremely sad if this devolved into politics for the sake of politics. I know I can't tell anyone here what to do, but please don't bring the banhammer down. Be responsible, be careful, be good netizens. Please.

2) I'm not against guessing countries or realms...but that seems like a separate thread to me. This thread serves to give ready examples for the GM to use in their campaigns and I'd like it to stay that way. Could someone start such a guessing game thread and take this there please? Thank you.
Good points. How about looking into reasonably well known fictional realms? Like do we have enough information stat out Macros city (ala Robotech) which would count as a space city state? Rapture and Columbia also spring to mind.

Or we could try our hand at stating out Realms from other RPGs. Whatever is in Grayhawk and the Forgotten Realms comes to mind there.
Help make a digital reference for GURPS by coming to the GURPS wiki and provide some information and links (such as to various Fanmade 4e Bestiaries) . Please, provide more then just a title and a page number.
Old 04-09-2021, 01:51 AM   #36
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximara View Post
Good points. How about looking into reasonably well known fictional realms? Like do we have enough information stat out Macros city (ala Robotech) which would count as a space city state? Rapture and Columbia also spring to mind.

Or we could try our hand at stating out Realms from other RPGs. Whatever is in Grayhawk and the Forgotten Realms comes to mind there.
I like both of these ideas. :-)

Become a Patron!
Old 04-09-2021, 01:52 AM   #37
Balor Patch

It's area is right at the top of SM+16 (which is from 71,000 to 150,000 mile^2), it's very rich with a dense population despite the mountains, and the northern portion does have a colder climate. Despite being well behaved for several decades it's relationships with its neighbors remain poor.
Balor Patch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 03:26 AM   #38
Michele

NAME: The Pirates
Total Area: 3,000 sqm
Realm Size Value: +10
Resource Points: 10 (1 Agriculture Points, 2 Luxury/Precious Goods Points, 3 Natural Resource Points, 4 Workforce Points)
TL: 3
Cultural Traits: None
Realm Inhabitant Racial Traits: None
Population: 20,000
Citizen Loyalty: Neutral (12; 0)
Infrastructure Rating: 3
Control Rating: 1/2 *
Conformity Rating: 4
Openness Rating: 4
Education Rating: 1
Government Type: Anarchy
Economy Type: Capitalism
Defense Bonus and Terrain: 3; Hard-to-access islands †
Management Skill: 12
Habitability: Poor (8; -1) ‡
Reaction Time Modifier: +5
Realm Enhancements (+45%): Defensible Terrain 2 (+20%); Independent Revenue Stream 5 (+5%); Quick Deployment 1 (+20%)
Realm Limitations (-35%): Hated 2 (-10%); Hostile Climate 1 (-10%); Uninhabitable Land 1 (-10%); Unrecognized (-10%)
Social Resonance: -2
Patron Value: 15
Enemy Value: -20
Realm Value: $9,240,000
Starting RP Cost: $420,000
Military Resources: $140,000 *
Revenue: $176,000 §
Starting Revenue: $92,400
Inhabitants’ Status: -1 to +4
Inhabitant’s Wealth: Poor to Very Wealthy
Notes: This being an anarchy, the military resources are privately owned by the pirate captains. Mustering all of them at the same time only happens in the face of an impending invasion or similar threat, and even then there might not be a common strategy.

This is not, technically speaking, a realm: nobody rules or owns it. It’s a series of small rocky islands where pirates hide in barely accessible coves. There is a main seaport which also is the only market. Each pirate ship is a law unto itself; they are usually owned and lorded over by the captain, but there are a few cooperatively-owned ships, too. The whole place is an anarchy, with no rules – even though social conformity and customs tend to prevent a few things. In particular, blatant violent crimes against other citizens, and, above all, any attempt by any powerful, ambitious captain to proclaim himself king; the others will gang up against him.
For all their bad reputation and unrecognized status, these islands only derive a small part of their income (the additional 5% represented by the Independent Revenue Stream) from pirating. For most of the year, the inhabitants are independent-minded fishermen and farmers (although their hardscrabble land is not the best in the world), and they also engage in trade, which is what really brings profits in. This is probably why their economy can be considered a proto-capitalist one.
The Kingdom, their most important neighbor, whose merchant ships are the most frequent victims of the Pirates, would happily get rid of these fellows. But the waters around these islands are treacherous, the weather conditions often bad, and the pirates better sailors than the Kingdom’s navy.

* CR2 for criminal activities against citizens, due to ConR4; CR2 for military spending.
† Includes +2 from Defensible Terrain 2.
‡ Includes -1 level from Uninhabitable Land 1.
§ Includes +5% from Independent Revenue Stream 5.
Old 04-09-2021, 08:06 AM   #39
maximara
On Notice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michele View Post
NAME: The Pirates

(snippage)

This is not, technically speaking, a realm: nobody rules or owns it. It’s a series of small rocky islands where pirates hide in barely accessible coves. There is a main seaport which also is the only market. Each pirate ship is a law unto itself; they are usually owned and lorded over by the captain, but there are a few cooperatively-owned ships, too.
Wouldn't GURPS Boardroom and Curia's statblock be a better fit?
Old 04-09-2021, 08:52 AM   #40
Michele

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximara View Post
Wouldn't GURPS Boardroom and Curia's statblock be a better fit?
Not in my opinion, no.

Being a realm (or state, or country) or not has always been chiefly a thing in the minds of (most of) the subjects (or citizens, people). If the Pirates think they are a separate realm, albeit so vaguely structured that their government is an Anarchy, then they are.

That's the reasoned argument.

Now for the argument from authority: note that their islands have
- a permanent population,
- a defined territory,
- a government (even though it's in the form of an anarchy, ship captains may occasionally agree on common policies),
- the capacity to enter into relations with other states.

Note no other state is enforcing its will on the population, or the territory, or the government (such as it is) of the Pirates.

If this sounds like I'm pedantic, it is because
- I often am, and
- I'm quoting from international law :-) (the Montevideo Convention).

That the other states don't recognize the Pirates (yet) doesn't make them less of a state (again quoting).

Tags
realm management