Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-03-2018, 12:05 PM   #11
Mysterious Dark Lord v3.2

Default Re: Planetary Mass Computers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
We'd finally have enough processing power to automate the spelling and grammar pedantry on the Internet.
Woah there pal! Let's not dive into Pure Fantasy!

My late father was an English Teacher - I have seen the sheer power of someone lecturing on the proper arrangement of "I" and "E" and justified uses of "to" and "too" at close enough range to sear my retinas.

Can even that much processing power actually simulate the sheer pedantry of thousands of nitpicking grammarians?
Old 11-03-2018, 12:12 PM   #12
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaevictis Asmadi View Post
For some reason this just makes me laugh. The Precursors have descended to a lower plane of existence: they've been playing a video game for 40 million years.

And that, in turn, reminds me of Exalted and the Games of Divinity.
It doesn't have to be gaming simulations. It could be that for their level of physics, they need to perform insanely in depth long term simulations to render experiments safe. If we fly by the seat of our pants, we may cause local explosions. If a TL 12 dose so, it unmakes reality.

Last edited by Flyndaran; 11-03-2018 at 12:18 PM.
Flyndaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 02:33 PM   #13
Vaevictis Asmadi

Good point.

Actually, depending on whether vacuum decay can be triggered by nano-black holes, we might already have the ability to accidentally destroy the current universe with particle accelerators.

Playing with antimatter or zero point energy sources may be more likely to cause problems, though.

Published GURPS Settings
(as of 4/2013 -- I hope to update it someday...)

Last edited by Vaevictis Asmadi; 11-03-2018 at 02:37 PM.
Vaevictis Asmadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 02:45 PM   #14
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaevictis Asmadi View Post
Actually, depending on whether vacuum decay can be triggered by nano-black holes, we might already have the ability to accidentally destroy the current universe with particle accelerators.
We aren't going to manage anything with particle accelerators that hasn't already happened many times in supernovae.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 02:51 PM   #15
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
We aren't going to manage anything with particle accelerators that hasn't already happened many times in supernovae.
Are we really anywhere near that level? I assumed we were still in the "rare cosmic rays hitting the upper atmosphere" level.
Old 11-03-2018, 02:58 PM   #16
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Are we really anywhere near that level? I assumed we were still in the "rare cosmic rays hitting the upper atmosphere" level.
We're nowhere near the supernova level, or the most powerful cosmic rays that we know of.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 03:16 PM   #17
Vaevictis Asmadi

I'm not suggesting it's likely, except in fiction. I know cosmic rays have a much greater chance of causing vacuum decay, and haven't yet that we know of. But we are talking about fiction.

Published GURPS Settings
(as of 4/2013 -- I hope to update it someday...)
Vaevictis Asmadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 03:48 PM   #18
Refplace

I'd most likely use such a thing as a McGuffin in a campaign.
That said I think a central processor and networking not at the center surrounded by a bunch of large processor networks with ever smaller sub networks and a lot of parallel tasks and and hand offs seems the most likely arrangement.
Also several data stores acting as a sort of cache memory for what an individual section is working on.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 09:27 PM   #19
AlexanderHowl

When you have computers the size of planets, the level of simulation is rather astounding. While I doubt that human intelligences may be simulated below Complexity 10, such a computer could simulate hundreds of septillions of such intelligences. Even a perfect simulation of a person on the molecular level could probably be done by a Complexity 16 simulation, meaning that a computer of Complexity 33 could create a virtual star system identical to our own thousands of times over (assuming a molecular simulation of the entire star system would require Complexity 30). Of course, a molecular simulation would probably be unnecessary, but it would create a virtual star system indistinguishable from the real world.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 11:13 PM   #20
David Johansen

Sadly, Windows 40000 is a complexity 32 program. Still, the graphics on Pong will be a little sharper.
David Johansen is offline   Reply With Quote