Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 08-12-2021, 03:35 PM   #41
Black Leviathan

Default Re: How does 5e D&D compare to the others?

It's good, but it's a later version so it ought to be. There's a stronger emphasis on characterization, it suffers less (currently) from version creep so right now rules are very harmonized and not much is badly out of whack. The biggest change over 3.5 is that there's less emphasis on weirdly broken combinations of abilities and classes and more focus on each class getting something cool. It doesn't necessarily make the game more balanced but it means you don't need any skill at making a D&D character the enjoy playing. You have better and worse choices in character advancement but even the worse are still pretty cool.

Advantage/Disadvantage on rolls is a little wacky but once you get used to it it feels very normal.

5th edition doesn't like getting bogged down with healing and spell recovery so they've made rests really powerful. You can be beaten near to death several times a day and be tip-top as long as you get a good rest in between. Lots of older players not psyched about that design change.
Black Leviathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 06:05 PM   #42
Emerikol

I'm not a fan but I'm definitely not in the majority as it's obvious 5e is super popular.

I liked some simplification of the game but I didn't need
1. skills super simplified
2. ridiculous healing in my opinion
3. dissociative mechanics on every version of the fighter.

I've recently switched to GURPS fantasy. I'm thinking I will try other genres once I've played through a fantasy campaign. In the world building stages at this time.
Emerikol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 03:48 PM   #43
Black Leviathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerikol View Post
I've recently switched to GURPS fantasy. I'm thinking I will try other genres once I've played through a fantasy campaign. In the world building stages at this time.
It's a slippery slope that GURPS, first you start out thinking you'll just get some cleaner mechanics for your D&D fantasy setting, next thing you know you're cruising the dark web looking for templates for your Bunnies and Burrows campaign.
Black Leviathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 11:09 AM   #44
Mark Caliber

I'm not a fan of ANY D&D but having participated in at least five 5E campaigns over the past two years, I can say that 5e sucks the least (mechanically).

On the plus side, 5E is pretty easy to learn for newbs.
Mark Caliber is offline   Reply With Quote