Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 08-07-2022, 04:32 PM   #121
the_matrix_walker

Default Re: Lost in Dreams II (OCC)

Quote:
He has Diplomacy which is used for "negotiating, compromising, and getting along", but not Merchant for "buying, selling, and trading retail and wholesale goods."
Quote:
So a skill good at getting a fair deal but poor at getting a financial windfall.
Not sure that follows, Just MHO but...

Merchant evaluates a value for retail or wholesale products, while broader contracts, deals and arrangements involving non-material things are more Dimplomacy's wheelhouse.

A "windfall" seems possible in either case. I would think that it is up to the quality of your dealings and the perceived value of what you're offering. I think a diplomat should absolutely be able to make a very favorable deal based on the power of their position when they know they have an exclusive resource.

Knowing the retail value of things and being able to haggle become lesser points in the face of "you need this, and only I have it".
the_matrix_walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 11:46 AM   #122
TGLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
How stealthy do you expect a cat girl in a hospital gown to be?
Depends, is this the clumsy and cute type that resembles cats from internet videos or is this the Pulveresque supersoldier that resembles apex predator big cats?
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 09:41 AM   #123
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
The Cat Girl is less stealthy than he would have hoped... how stealthy do you expect a cat girl in a hospital gown to be?
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
Truthfully? Really super stealthy actually!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
Depends, is this the clumsy and cute type that resembles cats from internet videos or is this the Pulveresque supersoldier that resembles apex predator big cats?
But she's in a hospital gown!

Yeah, its one of those things where you expect a decent amount of stealth. She's built to be cutesy, but still has quite a bit of grace. She's got an elevated DX, but is using stealth at default. Fortunately, in this case Peter is rolling stealth and she just adds a small penalty to him (-2 for numbers and lack of skill)

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 04:25 PM   #124
the_matrix_walker

Quote:
Lost in dreams sees this a lot, and not just on kids. Its tagline is waking up someplace unfamiliar and naked, so having pitiable goes a long ways, since you know you'll be in a position of weakness.

Often players will have to remind me that they have pitiable, usually by asking if it counts in a given context. The +3 is a huge swing in their favor.
I considered it when I was building Peter but I felt it just wasn't right for him.
Old 09-02-2022, 04:46 PM   #125
TGLS

Unfortunately it's not too useful against hired goons, even to avoid getting kicked around.
Old 09-07-2022, 11:22 AM   #126
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
I considered it when I was building Peter but I felt it just wasn't right for him.
No, Peter has something aggressive to him. Maybe its the dog. Maybe its his above-average size.

Quote:
Unfortunately it's not too useful against hired goons, even to avoid getting kicked around.
Its helped him avoid getting slapped already, even in that situation.

Tarbreth... Tar breath. Its supposed to be Tarb- reth... but now I can't unsee it. And now the Taser-face scene from guardians 2 is going through my head. Thanks.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 03:09 PM   #127
the_matrix_walker

Quote:
No, Peter has something aggressive to him. Maybe its the dog. Maybe its his above-average size.
That's interesting... I don't really see Peter as aggressive, at least not in a violent sense. But I do see him as very decisive and kind of a natural leader.
Old 09-07-2022, 04:20 PM   #128
the_matrix_walker

Quote:
Tarbreth... Tar breath. Its supposed to be Tarb- reth... but now I can't unsee it. And now the Taser-face scene from guardians 2 is going through my head. Thanks.
"Sorry, I'm so sorry, I just keep imagining you waking up in the morning, looking in the mirror and in all seriousness to yourself saying 'You know what would be a really kick-ass name? Taserface!'."

"I'm sending you the coordinates for Yondu's ship! I only ask one thing in return, that your High Priestess tell him the name of the man who sentenced him to death: Taserface!"

"Bwahahahahahhaa"

OMG, so good.
Old 09-07-2022, 10:46 PM   #129
TGLS

Quote:
Its helped him avoid getting slapped already, even in that situation.
I suppose the inverse is relatively unknowable here.

Quote:
Well, I aim to please.

Quote:
(I know I deleted and it updated it once. I had some unnecessary whining I decided you didn't need :P - if I did it a second time it was a quick edit...)
Whining isn't unnecessary, it is (especially considering Peter's age) characterization!

Quote:
That's interesting... I don't really see Peter as aggressive, at least not in a violent sense. But I do see him as very decisive and kind of a natural leader.
I dunno about aggressive, but assertive would certainly seem to apply.
Old 09-08-2022, 11:07 AM   #130
the_matrix_walker

Quote:
I dunno about aggressive, but assertive would certainly seem to apply.
His mild Impulsiveness and Overconfidence are doing their thing...

Tags
ericthered, friendpmcii, lost in dreams