Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-17-2016, 01:07 AM   #1
Tallor

Default If Lands out if Time is Borroughs-6...

If Lands out if Time is Borroughs-6... then what are the five other Burroughs worlds?? O:

And before you say Tarzan, consider that Tarzan is probably already on at least one of the Britanncas. :P

Last edited by Tallor; 05-17-2016 at 01:08 AM. Reason: More polite
Tallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 10:06 AM   #2
robkelk
Untitled

Default Re: If Lands out if Time is Borroughs-6...

Oh, there are more than five possibilities, even if one doesn't include Tarzan:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edgar_...Selected_works

Quickly skimming through that list, I'd guess Burroughs-6 is probably the Caspak series. As for the other five, I'd be tempted to assign them, in no particular order, to Pellucidar, Barsoom, The Lost Continent, The Moon Maid, and (yes) Tarzan.
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 10:36 AM   #3
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallor View Post
If Lands out if Time is Borroughs-6... then what are the five other Burroughs worlds?? O:

And before you say Tarzan, consider that Tarzan is probably already on at least one of the Britanncas. :P
Any setting that has a planetary romance "Dying Mars" or "Primordial Venus", or "Hollow Earth" could get the Burroughs label. I'm sure GURP Mars has a planetary romance version of Mars. An Earth might even get the label just because humans and dinosaurs co-exist in it.
David Johnston2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 11:40 AM   #4
Curmudgeon

As robkelk pointed out there are potentially more than five other worlds remaining if all the Burroughs worlds are solely from Edgar Rice Burroughs' works (and not William Burroughs). However, there are overlaps in some of his worlds as a character in one series either knows, or knows of, a character from another series (occasionally an overlapping book title appears in the listing for both series).

For example, Carson Napier, the protagonist of the Venus series states in his first novel that his rocketship was constructed with the intent of using it to join John Carter on Mars. In a "Wrongwsay" Corrigan moment, he ends up headed for Venus by mistake. Tarzan has a personal acquaintance with David Innes of Pellucidar (and Tarzan at the Earth's Core is the novel I've seen listed as part of both the Tarzan and Pellucidar series.

Among the worlds that robkelk didn't call out, I'd suggest The Mad King (which ties into The Eternal Savage) as a possible replacement for Tarzan with the westerns (particularly Apache Chief and Apache Devil) as another. Cases could be made for others, such as The Mucker.

Just because Burroughs-6 was mentioned, it doesn't mean that there is no Burroughs-7, -8, etc., so probably all of his worlds exist and the main thing would be to read enough of the source materials to know which series are tied together and thus occur in a single world. Another possibility is worlds where Burrroughs has gone askew. One of the text pieces in League of Extraordinary Gentlemen has H.P. Lovecraft's Randolph Carter as the nephew or great-nephew of John Carter which not only tied John Carter's Mars to Lovecraft (reinforced by John Carter's dream-like transit to Mars) but suggests that they in turn are connected to H. Rider Haggard's Allan Quartermain (and She and La of Opar certainly seem like individuals that might exist on the same world, so Tarzan probably exists here as well).
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 11:59 AM   #5
aesir23

As other's have said, there are numerous possibilities even if each Burroughs series has it's own world. However, with infinite worlds, there may well be multiple versions of each of Burrough's creations.

You could have two Tarzan parallels, one in which Barsoom also exists on Mars, and one in which it doesn't. And another where Barsoom exists but was never visited by John Carter.
aesir23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 12:57 PM   #6
Philosopher Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
there are potentially more than five other worlds remaining if all the Burroughs worlds are solely from Edgar Rice Burroughs' works (and not William Burroughs).
Great, now I'm imagining GURPS Burroughs & Burroughs! "Nearly Naked Lunch with the Therns", anyone?

Last edited by Philosopher Rogue; 05-17-2016 at 12:57 PM. Reason: Quirk: I can't type on a touchscreen
Philosopher Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 05:51 PM   #7
robkelk
Untitled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philosopher Rogue View Post
Great, now I'm imagining GURPS Burroughs & Burroughs! "Nearly Naked Lunch with the Therns", anyone?
As long as we don't go with GURPS Bunnies & Burroughs... but I think that's already a Game That Should Not Be Played in one of the earlier Murphy's Rules.
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 03:40 AM   #8
Tallor

Quote:
As robkelk pointed out there are potentially more than five other worlds remaining if all the Burroughs worlds are solely from Edgar Rice Burroughs' works (and not William Burroughs). However, there are overlaps in some of his worlds as a character in one series either knows, or knows of, a character from another series (occasionally an overlapping book title appears in the listing for both series).

For example, Carson Napier, the protagonist of the Venus series states in his first novel that his rocketship was constructed with the intent of using it to join John Carter on Mars. In a "Wrongwsay" Corrigan moment, he ends up headed for Venus by mistake. Tarzan has a personal acquaintance with David Innes of Pellucidar (and Tarzan at the Earth's Core is the novel I've seen listed as part of both the Tarzan and Pellucidar series.

Among the worlds that robkelk didn't call out, I'd suggest The Mad King (which ties into The Eternal Savage) as a possible replacement for Tarzan with the westerns (particularly Apache Chief and Apache Devil) as another. Cases could be made for others, such as The Mucker.
Hypothetically then, what would the minimum amount of Burroughs be, if you consolidated those timelines? What I see here is:

1. Venus+Mars
2. Tarzan+Pellucidar
Tallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 04:53 AM   #9
David Johnston2

Quote:
A
Just because Burroughs-6 was mentioned, it doesn't mean that there is no Burroughs-7, -8, etc., so probably all of his worlds exist .
The thing is, they don't even have to specifically be Burroughs myth parallels. For example Space 1889 could get the label because even though it isn't a faithful representation of Barsoom et al it's clearly reminiscent of it.
David Johnston2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 10:12 AM   #10
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallor View Post
Hypothetically then, what would the minimum amount of Burroughs be, if you consolidated those timelines? What I see here is:

1. Venus+Mars
2. Tarzan+Pellucidar
All of those plus Beyond the Farthest Star are tied together by Gridley Wave transmissions.

Tags
barsoom, burroughs, infinite worlds, lands out of time, tarzan