Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-22-2015, 04:31 PM   #1
Christopher R. Rice

Default Control Over Reality for Supers

So a concept I'm playing with for my upcoming Supers campaign, Aeon is the ability to "control reality" by some of the more powerful superbeings in the setting. I'm thinking the easiest way to do this is probably some combination of Super Luck + a form of God-Like Control (Reality). With the Control having a higher than normal base cost - at least 60 points. Regardless, how would you price this. Please no posts of "You're the GM, handwave it" I already know this, that's not what I'm asking. Thanks for anyone who reply!

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 04:42 PM   #2
zoncxs

Default Re: Control Over Reality for Supers

Serendipity!

IDHMBWM but serendipity lets something go your way once per session or something (I never use it). I would take that at a high enough level to justify having everything go your way all the time and then slap on the wildcard power modifier (x4 cost) and BAM!.

Anything they can think of that fits with bending reality (and fits withing the price range) they would be able to pull off, as long as they still have a usage of serendipity left.

This also gives a nice weakness if you can figure it out :D
zoncxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 04:54 PM   #3
Nereidalbel

I'd go with a 100/lvl Create + Control. At that point cost, the limits are the imagination of the player, and the occasional GM saying "Umm, no."
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 07:55 PM   #4
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoncxs View Post
Serendipity!

IDHMBWM but serendipity lets something go your way once per session or something (I never use it). I would take that at a high enough level to justify having everything go your way all the time and then slap on the wildcard power modifier (x4 cost) and BAM!.

Anything they can think of that fits with bending reality (and fits withing the price range) they would be able to pull off, as long as they still have a usage of serendipity left.

This also gives a nice weakness if you can figure it out :D
Serendipity...Hmmm. That's clever. Let's see. Something like...

Serendipity 1 (Game Time, +0%; PM, -10%; Reduced Time 14, +280%; Wishing, +100%) [71].

No, that's too cheap for being able to use Serendipity every 36 seconds... It does kind of prove that "Control (Reality)" is probably worth around 60 points though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereidalbel View Post
I'd go with a 100/lvl Create + Control. At that point cost, the limits are the imagination of the player, and the occasional GM saying "Umm, no."
Hmmm. Interesting. So Control (Reality) + Create (anything) or something like that? Could you elaborate a bit please?

Become a Patron!
Old 12-22-2015, 08:13 PM   #5
Lia Valenth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
Serendipity 1 (Game Time, +0%; PM, -10%; Reduced Time 14, +280%; Wishing, +100%) [71].

No, that's too cheap for being able to use Serendipity every 36 seconds... It does kind of prove that "Control (Reality)" is probably worth around 60 points though.
Then don't allow Reduced Time on Serendipity. Require it to be bought in levels, or at least limit Reduced Time to 1-3 levels, then it won't be cheap.

As for Control (reality) [100] seems right to me. I would have the in-game effect give a +1 or -1 to all rolls the character can influence (generally anything they know is happening).
Old 12-22-2015, 08:35 PM   #6
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lia Valenth View Post
Then don't allow Reduced Time on Serendipity. Require it to be bought in levels, or at least limit Reduced Time to 1-3 levels, then it won't be cheap.

As for Control (reality) [100] seems right to me. I would have the in-game effect give a +1 or -1 to all rolls the character can influence (generally anything they know is happening).
I'm not worried too much about price, I'm just trying to get the details right. This is something that may end up published and I'd rather not have to renoddle the concept if I can just get it right the first time. I wonder if God-Like Control made into a Wildcard! Power might be another way to go. Hmmm.

Become a Patron!
Old 12-22-2015, 08:59 PM   #7
zoncxs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
Serendipity...Hmmm. That's clever. Let's see. Something like...

you forgot the wildcard part:

Serendipity 1 (Game Time, +0%; PM, -10%; Wishing, +100%; Cosmic, Godlike, +300%; Wildcard, x4) [294]

Once per (In game) week you can dictate what happens per level of this ability you can also use any other ability that can be explained as you use this ability. To use the ability more frequent buy more levels.

The Cosmic part is there so the user can make the implausible and impossible happen without the GM saying "No, No no no. NO! NOOOOOOOOOO!"

as far as I know you can not put reduce time on meta traits like Serendipity and Luck. you just have to buy more of it to use it more often.

Last edited by zoncxs; 12-22-2015 at 09:04 PM.
zoncxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 09:04 PM   #8
chandley

A few (lots) levels of the right power Talent, Ultrapower, a LOT of Will, and a FP pool several multiples of his natural FP score?
Old 12-22-2015, 09:47 PM   #9
Culture20

When I played Victory in a deities campaign, she had Visualization with Blessing, Affects Others (several, plus Area Affect 11 (2048 yard radius, effectively line of sight)), Reduced Time (down to instantaneous). Luck and Serendipity rounded out the build. It's all subtle reality control though, not anything that you'd expect from Q from Star Trek, a Genie, or Proteus from X-Men.
There's no good way to model "I'm co-GM, and if I roll well enough, I get to overrule the other co-GM" style of reality control.
Culture20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 09:59 PM   #10
starslayer

I think a good opening question is 'what does controlling reality look like'.

(1)Is it a subtle manipulation of fate so that everything can go in the PCs favor (or against the PCs foes)?

(2)Is it the ability to warp the world- so that the PC can think 'X-box 360' really hard and get an X-box 360.

(3)Is it the ability to warp terrain in impressive, and occasionally horrifying, ways.

1- Visualization + cursing +blessing reduced time 6, + compartmentalized mind (only to visualize) will get you shaping fate

2- Snatcher+creation+permanent possibly with extra weight

3- Lots of ways to do this: Creatre/Control: Terrain; or affliction: morph (only to target the terrain)

Possibly put all three on the same character, or pick the most predominant way you want it to manifest and superpower it for the remainder.
starslayer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
control, powers, supers