Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-16-2015, 12:59 AM   #11
The_Ryujin

Default Re: GURPS SUPER MARIO BROS

It's always been my personal opinion that it's a bad idea to try and shoe-horn in video game play decisions into a table top RPG. Most of time they are chosen do to the specific pros and cons that comes from the territory of making a game and tend not to play as well when you don't have a controller in hand.

So instead of trying to replicate the game play mechanisms of old school platforming Mario games I'd probably take a look at the Super Mario RPGs and what made them so fun as that might make for a better fit for GURPS.

Here's the obligatory wiki link to help you out

Normies: Man! The government is filled with liars and thieves! Me: Well yeah, here's what they're lying about, what they're stealing from you, and who's doing it. Normies: Rolls eyes Shut up conspiracy theorist Me: >.>
The_Ryujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 10:52 AM   #12
Otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Ryujin View Post
It's always been my personal opinion that it's a bad idea to try and shoe-horn in video game play decisions into a table top RPG. Most of time they are chosen do to the specific pros and cons that comes from the territory of making a game and tend not to play as well when you don't have a controller in hand.

So instead of trying to replicate the game play mechanisms of old school platforming Mario games I'd probably take a look at the Super Mario RPGs and what made them so fun as that might make for a better fit for GURPS.

Here's the obligatory wiki link to help you out
I am going to second this, but add another option.

Go ahead and adapt any Mario game you want, but consider the GURPS version a "translation" and not a "transliteration". Many aspects of the video games are just there because a video game doesn't get as detailed as GURPS. Talk with your son and see if he wants Mario to be able to do more than he can in the games because frankly, if he doesn't he should probably just stick to the games. ;)

I can see eliminating some mechanics but again, talk to your kid to see what he would prefer. Rolling dice for damage is kind of one of the fun parts of role-playing, in my experience. XD Skipping Health rolls on the other hand is probably a good idea. Just remember, make sure the video game has a good setting reason for doing something, as opposed to doing it at different way wouldn't work for a video game.
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)

Last edited by Otaku; 12-16-2015 at 12:09 PM.
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 11:44 AM   #13
Gold & Appel Inc

Mario crushes most people beneath his feet like a ton of bricks. He is virtually indestructible to any fewer than two attacks. He is like unto a god.
Gold & Appel Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 02:43 PM   #14
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold & Appel Inc View Post
Mario crushes most people beneath his feet like a ton of bricks. He is virtually indestructible to any fewer than two attacks. He is like unto a god.
A tiny blue collar god.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 01:57 PM   #15
BaHalus

Good ideas. I will mature them a little and come back later.

Oh, by the way, how we could make a freezing inate attack? One that frezes you inside a deadly block of ice.
BaHalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 02:14 PM   #16
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaHalus View Post

Oh, by the way, how we could make a freezing inate attack? One that frezes you inside a deadly block of ice.
Have you considered using Binding with a Linked Freezing Hazard Fatigue Attack?

The Binding renders the guy immobile, while the Fatigue attack means they suffer from the cold of the ice. You may or may not want to add Cyclic to the Fatigue Attack to represent the fact that you continue to take freezing damage while encased. Of course, you'll probably want like 10 to 20 levels of Binding, and only 1d or less on the Fatigue Attack.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 02:21 PM   #17
Pseudonym

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaHalus View Post

I think the Frost Breath or Ice Bonds on p. 138 of Powers might be a place to start. Freezing in GURPS is typically represented by fatigue damage with a hazard modifier, which is an entirely different effect. Ice Bonds says you are encasing the enemy in ice, and Frost Breath paralyzes the enemy. Both are about halfish of the way there, but the opposite halfish.
Old 12-18-2015, 11:05 AM   #18
BaHalus

Well, I really am not considering to use fatigue too. I would use normal damage, not fatigue damage.

I will look this power in powers though.
Old 12-18-2015, 01:03 PM   #19
simply Nathan
formerly known as 'Kenneth Latrans'

Burning damage with non-incendiary works better for "damage from cold" than fatigue damage does.
Old 12-18-2015, 02:43 PM   #20
BaHalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseudonym View Post
I think the Frost Breath or Ice Bonds on p. 138 of Powers might be a place to start. Freezing in GURPS is typically represented by fatigue damage with a hazard modifier, which is an entirely different effect. Ice Bonds says you are encasing the enemy in ice, and Frost Breath paralyzes the enemy. Both are about halfish of the way there, but the opposite halfish.
Quote:
Originally Posted by simply Nathan View Post
Burning damage with non-incendiary works better for "damage from cold" than fatigue damage does.
So. A Burning non-incendiary attack with side effect: paralisis. I think that works quite well.

Tags
children in gurps, clinging, kids, mario mario, powers, super mario bros, video games