Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-04-2012, 04:43 PM   #1
d_ns

Default More Star Frontiers conversions (aka: humor me...)

Wanted to toss this out there for the crowd to rip into. I'd love some constructive feedback, as I am new at this GURPS 4th business.

First, my take on screens:
Spoiler:  

I've also taken a shot at the three standard non-human races, and present them here for you to mercilessly belittle, er, provide positive feedback on:
Spoiler:  

So, huh, what do you think? What have I forgotten, what have I misunderstood, and what have I bollocksed up entirely?
d_ns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 05:07 PM   #2
mearrin69

Default Re: More Star Frontiers conversions (aka: humor me...)

I doubt I'll have any useful feedback for you but I'll take a look. I'm very interested in what you come up with as we may play SF again someday and I'd rather use GURPS than the hinky old-school rules.
M
mearrin69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 05:13 PM   #3
d_ns

Quote:
Originally Posted by mearrin69 View Post
I doubt I'll have any useful feedback for you but I'll take a look. I'm very interested in what you come up with as we may play SF again someday and I'd rather use GURPS than the hinky old-school rules.
M
I've had great advice on here to use Ultra-Tech as a primary resource, and it's proven quite helpful. No need to reinvent any of the weapons, or non-screen armor types, as they're effectively already there. And then some, if you want to increase the options from the limited scope of the original game.

My to-do list includes the Sathar, looking into robot and computer rules, and adapting the standard Spaceship rules to suit the standard FTL implications of Knight Hawks, and the weapon systems.
Old 02-04-2012, 06:12 PM   #4
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_ns View Post
My to-do list includes the Sathar, looking into robot and computer rules, and adapting the standard Spaceship rules to suit the standard FTL implications of Knight Hawks, and the weapon systems.
There are essentially no standard rules in Spaceships about FTL. There's a Stardrive modukle but the rules about how it works are entirely up to the GM. It can be Hyper, Jump or Warp in any flavor.

Incidentally, I built a couple of SF ships just to have some sort of stats to match duing the first Spaceships playtest. There wasn't anything really hard about it.
Old 02-04-2012, 08:59 PM   #5
vierasmarius

For the Screens, you should take a look at the Force Screens in UT (pg.191). They provide Semi-Ablative DR (as opposed to your designs' Ablative DR), and are available in a few variants, such as Energy, Kinetic and Velocity (blocks only fast-moving attacks, like the Shields in Dune.) They aren't normally available in man-portable form until TL 12^, so if your conversion is lower tech than that you could easily justify toning down their DR. Throwing Flexible on the Kinetic Screen would be a nice tweak too, allowing a bit of blunt trauma to get through even if the attack is fully resisted.
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 12:03 AM   #6
lwcamp

Giving Dralasites the Invertebrate disadvantage seems to go against their "feel" in the original game - they were stronger all around than humans, even at lifting, carrying, and pulling. The fact that they are biological invertebrates (lower case "i") does not mean they need to be GURPS Invertebrates.

You might also want to trade in the Acute Taste/Smell of Dralasites for full-on Discriminatory Scent.

For that real old-school feel, you could try making all armor ablative - your skein suit will protect you from a few shots, but will eventually wear down.

Luke
lwcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 10:09 AM   #7
d_ns

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwcamp View Post
Giving Dralasites the Invertebrate disadvantage seems to go against their "feel" in the original game - they were stronger all around than humans, even at lifting, carrying, and pulling. The fact that they are biological invertebrates (lower case "i") does not mean they need to be GURPS Invertebrates.
I agree, it does go against SF, but how would you depict the ability to squeeze into tight places, and the lack of a bone structure to break?

Quote:
You might also want to trade in the Acute Taste/Smell of Dralasites for full-on Discriminatory Scent.
I'd honestly not seen that one, so it makes good sense to me. Perhaps with some sort of susceptibility to airborne chemicals?

Quote:
For that real old-school feel, you could try making all armor ablative - your skein suit will protect you from a few shots, but will eventually wear down.
I'll look into that - is it referenced anywhere in the rules that you can recall, or shall I invent it whole cloth?
Old 02-05-2012, 10:54 AM   #8
Fred Brackin

Quote:

I'll look into that - is it referenced anywhere in the rules that you can recall, or shall I invent it whole cloth?
Whole cloth.

You'd need to be careful that TL8 kevlar didn't end up being a better deal than a new ablative armor.
Old 02-05-2012, 11:48 AM   #9
lwcamp

Quote:
I agree, it does go against SF, but how would you depict the ability to squeeze into tight places, and the lack of a bone structure to break?
To squeeze into tight places, you can use Flexibility: Double Jointed (pg. B56). I would also add Extra-Flexible (pg. B53) to all Dralasite arms.

For no bones to break, you can use Injury Tolerance: Unbreakable Bones from Powers pg. 53. Add the modifier Cosmic - crippled limbs only last until a new limb can be regrown +50% and you should be good to go. A more accurate build for Dralasite limb powers might be Regrowth (with a limitation for limbs only) plus Regeneration (with a limitation of only for regrowth). However, this ends up costing a LOT!

Quote:
Under the Damage Resistance advantage, it lists the rules for Ablative and Semi-Ablative armor. Just make it a house rule that in your GURPS Star Frontiers game all armor is Semi-Ablative. This should address Fred Bracklin's earlier word of caution. Or make all armor fully ablative, but this makes low tech armor like mail and plate rather wonky. Or maybe just "soft" armor is semi-ablative (or fully ablative) - like cloth armor, Kevlar, and skein (or albedo for lasers, and so on) while a clamshell cuirass or suit of plates acts like normal.

Luke
lwcamp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
races, screens, space, star frontiers