Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-13-2017, 01:59 PM   #1
Astromancer

Default An idea for an advantage

I noticed the Sensitive advantage this morning and the thought occurred to me that their was room for and similar advantage based off Intuition. Since Sensitive is simply Empathy at IQ-3, why not have a five point version of Intuition?

I would call this advantage Astute. It would work just like Intuition but the roll would be IQ-3.

I know that many people think Intuition is way to powerful. But this limited version would let a PC have the same kind of advantage and the role that goes with that advantage, but in a less game shredding form.

Reactions?

Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 02:20 PM   #2
Kelly Pedersen

Default Re: An idea for an advantage

The basic idea is fine, but I wouldn't price it at -5. Empathy is 10 points more expensive than Sensitive because it effectively reduces the level of Talent that Empathy provides from 3 levels to 1. Intuition, on the other hand, provides no Talent bonus - its price is entirely contained in the basic ability, to roll IQ and get a correct guess. Reducing that roll by -3 is just the Hard to Use limitation, which is worth -5% per -3. So Intuition with -3 to IQ is still 15 points, since you round up. You'd have to hit -6 in order to get it down to 14 points.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 04:04 PM   #3
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: An idea for an advantage

Note that weak, highly limited Intuition could be an alternative Talent benefit. Probably IQ-4 +Talent to answer questions related to the Talent's domain.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advatage variations