Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-18-2015, 07:58 AM   #1
Donny Brook

Default Perk manipulation

I have an idea for a TL2 NCO who can buff his squad with various combat perks. The method I'd like to use is Area Effect (Selective) with Affects Others. Is there any relief from or way around the rule about no mods on perks?

How legit would it be to package sets of them into meta-traits for this purpose?
Donny Brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 08:06 AM   #2
Nereidalbel

Default Re: Perk manipulation

The RAW way to do this would be with Affliction, counting a Perk as an advantage worth 1 point, or +10% to the Affliction cost. Using Malediction and Fixed Duration simplifies the effect to "did you succeed on your roll or not?"
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 09:42 AM   #3
GodBeastX

Affliction based buffs tend to be more expensive than they should be do to the nature of modifiers.

While each 10% is worth 1 point per level of the buff, the inverse limitations are always worth only 1 point per 10%.

Afflictions tend to be a good use case for the optional rule of multiplicative modifiers found in the Powers book.

Example:

An Affliction with these modifiers to buff Strength of a target 1 point.

Affliction 1 (Strength +1, +100%; Magical, -10%; Costs Fatigue, -5%; Malediction, 100%) [28]

Not exactly worth it.

Last edited by GodBeastX; 06-18-2015 at 09:46 AM.
GodBeastX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 09:54 AM   #4
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodBeastX View Post
An Affliction with these modifiers to buff Strength of a target 1 point.

Affliction 1 (Strength +1, +100%; Magical, -10%; Costs Fatigue, -5%; Malediction, 100%) [28]
If you are talking about boosting someone's ST by 1 point you're not talking about any mere perk. So of course it's expensive.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 10:28 AM   #5
Celti

One of the party members in my current game has exactly this. Note that I use Multiplicative Modifiers in my game.

Aura of Camaraderie: Affliction 1 (Advantage, Team Member, +360%; Area Effect, 16 yards, +200%; Aura, +50%; Extended Duration, ×60, +70%; Malediction 1, +100%; Selective Area, +20%; Requires Leadership Roll, -10%; Takes Extra Time 1, -10%; Keeper, +0%) [72].

Team Member: Coordinated Action 2 [21]; Drills! [5]; Espirit de Corps 3 [3]; Harmonious Action [1]; Karma Pool 5 [5]; Teamwork [1] .

You take a second and make a Leadership roll to activate the aura. As a free action, whenever someone enters the area you may make a WL-based Leadership roll to afflict them with the aura. On a failure, you may continue to attempt to bless them once per second. If they leave the area after being afflicted, it lingers for hours equal to margin of victory.

--

Note that even using RAW afflictions, this is cheaper than an Affects Others build for more than just a few people because Affects Others is +50% per person, even with Area Effect.

Last edited by Celti; 06-18-2015 at 10:32 AM.
Celti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 08:47 AM   #6
Donny Brook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celti View Post
One of the party members in my current game has exactly this. Note that I use Multiplicative Modifiers in my game.

Aura of Camaraderie: Affliction 1 (Advantage, Team Member, +360%; Area Effect, 16 yards, +200%; Aura, +50%; Extended Duration, ×60, +70%; Malediction 1, +100%; Selective Area, +20%; Requires Leadership Roll, -10%; Takes Extra Time 1, -10%; Keeper, +0%) [72].

Team Member: Coordinated Action 2 [21]; Drills! [5]; Espirit de Corps 3 [3]; Harmonious Action [1]; Karma Pool 5 [5]; Teamwork [1] .

You take a second and make a Leadership roll to activate the aura. As a free action, whenever someone enters the area you may make a WL-based Leadership roll to afflict them with the aura. On a failure, you may continue to attempt to bless them once per second. If they leave the area after being afflicted, it lingers for hours equal to margin of victory.

--

Note that even using RAW afflictions, this is cheaper than an Affects Others build for more than just a few people because Affects Others is +50% per person, even with Area Effect.
This looks very useful. May I ask some questions about the build? They are:

-Why are you using Aura instead of Emanation?
-What is the function of Malediction here? Presumably the targets will not resist the Affliction anyway, right?
-How is the base duration found for the extended duration to apply to?
Old 06-19-2015, 10:22 AM   #7
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
If you are talking about boosting someone's ST by 1 point you're not talking about any mere perk. So of course it's expensive.
And if he does it with a perk it comes out:

Affliction 1 (Perk, 10%; Magical, -10%; Costs Fatigue, -5%; Malediction, 100%) [20]

Incredibly expensive. This is because affliction is built with the payload and the delivery method bought almost completely seperately. It costs 20 points for a maladiction, wether it merely stuns people it hits or turns them into statues.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 10:29 AM   #8
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celti View Post
Actually, you only need to buy Affects Others once if you also combine it with Area Effect - at that point increase your level of Area Effect to affect more people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GURPS Powers p. 108
If you apply Force Field to one of the defenses listed for that enhancement (below), you may add Affects Others for a flat +50%, provided you also take at least one level of Area Effect.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 10:44 AM   #9
Donny Brook

I have the answers to my Malediction and duration questions, but I am still confused about Aura vs Emanation.

Also,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereidalbel View Post
The RAW way to do this would be with Affliction, counting a Perk as an advantage worth 1 point, or +10% to the Affliction cost. Using Malediction and Fixed Duration simplifies the effect to "did you succeed on your roll or not?"
How do I use Fixed Duration?
Old 06-19-2015, 10:45 AM   #10
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny Brook View Post
This looks very useful. May I ask some questions about the build? They are:

-Why are you using Aura instead of Emanation?
-What is the function of Malediction here? Presumably the targets will not resist the Affliction anyway, right?
-How is the base duration found for the extended duration to apply to?
1. Emanation would be the better choice in the build.

2. Malediction is required for targets to be able to waive their resistance roll.

3. The base duration is your Margin of Success minutes.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote