Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-19-2015, 03:08 PM   #1
CeeDub

Default Extended Lifespan with unmodified onset of maturity?

Salutations!

I'm trying to build a trait that will (most likely) be more of a perk than an advantage: The character matures normally, but lives longer and ages slowly only from that point onward. So he will look like in his early twenties for (e.g.) ten years, late twenties for another ten years, and so on. This is due to extremely good health, which is represented through several other advantages. Depending on how long the campaign lasts the effect will be mostly cosmetic, although it could also be milked for drama with a normally aging romantic partner. It's intended for a relatively young character (between 19 and 25), so this trait will not be used as a proxy for Unusual Background to justify unusually high and/or diverse skills.

Unaging is basically immortality, i.e. overkill (overlife?). Longevity seems like it is normal aging, just not hitting as hard physically. Extended Lifespan seems appropriate, but also delays maturity in the RAW. Is a variant that lets the character age normally until they reach maturity even worth any extra points? If so, how many? Fixed Delay, +0%? Triggered Delay (maturity), +50%?

Bonus question: Does Extended Lifespan also increase the intervals between individual age checks or just delay their onset and the changes in frequency? Frex, a character has EL 1 and turns 100, does he make an aging roll every year or every other year?
CeeDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 03:12 PM   #2
Phantasm

Default Re: Extended Lifespan with unmodified onset of maturity?

As per Bio-Tech, Early Maturation is a 0-point Feature. If you have Extended Lifespan 2, which on p.B53 indicates that you achieve maturity at 72 years of age instead of 18, Early Maturation 2 drops you back to reaching maturity at 18, but leaves the other aging thresholds alone.

This is a 0-point feature due to the fact that in most cases players will want to be adults or close to it anyway.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 03:48 PM   #3
NineDaysDead
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeDub View Post
Salutations!

I'm trying to build a trait that will (most likely) be more of a perk than an advantage: The character matures normally, but lives longer and ages slowly only from that point onward. So he will look like in his early twenties for (e.g.) ten years, late twenties for another ten years, and so on. This is due to extremely good health, which is represented through several other advantages. Depending on how long the campaign lasts the effect will be mostly cosmetic, although it could also be milked for drama with a normally aging romantic partner. It's intended for a relatively young character (between 19 and 25), so this trait will not be used as a proxy for Unusual Background to justify unusually high and/or diverse skills.

Unaging is basically immortality, i.e. overkill (overlife?). Longevity seems like it is normal aging, just not hitting as hard physically. Extended Lifespan seems appropriate, but also delays maturity in the RAW. Is a variant that lets the character age normally until they reach maturity even worth any extra points? If so, how many? Fixed Delay, +0%? Triggered Delay (maturity), +50%?

Bonus question: Does Extended Lifespan also increase the intervals between individual age checks or just delay their onset and the changes in frequency? Frex, a character has EL 1 and turns 100, does he make an aging roll every year or every other year?
0-point feature as tbrock1031 already said.

With 1 level of Extended Lifespan you start aging at 100, rolling every 2 years; 100, 102, 104, etc. At 140 this becomes every year, and at 180 every 6 months.
NineDaysDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 04:04 PM   #4
CeeDub

Perfect, exactly what I was looking for, thank you!
CeeDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 11:57 PM   #5
DangerousThing

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeDub View Post
Unaging is basically immortality,
Unaging is not immortality. You can still be killed by disease, physical force, and most anything that can kill a normal person.

I believe the statistics will only give you about 500 years of lifespan for that. If you eliminate everything but accident and murder, then the last statistics I've heard are 2,000 years.

However, for most player characters, extended lifespan is what they need.
DangerousThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 03:43 AM   #6
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerousThing View Post
Unaging is not immortality. You can still be killed by disease, physical force, and most anything that can kill a normal person.
BTW, you really don't want eternal life without eternal youth.
Old 06-20-2015, 04:17 AM   #7
DangerousThing

Not to mention perfect health. Or if not perfect health, at least pretty good health. :)

If I could have GURPS advantages in the real world, I'd go for Unaging, Unkillable 2 or 3, and Immunity from Disease. Regrowth and Very Fit and a bit of regeneration would be nice. Most other things I'd have time to learn. :)
DangerousThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 04:30 AM   #8
Flyndaran
Untagged

And the ability to will oneself dead for unkillable three to move you to a safer location to recover in. Wouldn't want handle burning at the stake, eaten alive, etc.

Tags
extended lifespan