Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-25-2016, 04:06 AM   #1
scc

Default [Powers] My Attempt at Werewolves

OK, I'm working on a whole suite of Races/Powers (The two are one and the same) based upon the Biological Power Modifier/Source from Powers, Werewolves are first simply because I hope they'll be the easiest of the lot.

In general each Race/Power will have it's own separate modifier, but they will all be pretty much the same. The basic template is like Biological, but it's got ER Only, with countermeasures as appropriate for the Race, that's a base PM of -10%, silver for Werewolves is an additional -10% because it's Common but with what I want to do I'm not sure it applies. So PM -10% for now.

For the actual transform I'll be using Alternate Form like usual for Werewolves. I want them to be faced with the problem of uncontrolled transformations on the full moon, at least for newly turned Werewolves, so I figure Uncontrollable Trigger -15% and Unconscious Only -20% are part of the Racial Template version of the Power.

So question 1: What changes would be needed so that someone can transform without the full moon and retained memories while still having those uncontrolled transformation with no memories on a full moon? Note that transformations without the full moon are ALWAYS voluntary and NEVER involve memory loss.

Question 2: Now here's I get a bit different, the return trigger isn't silver like normal, it's running out of ER, every 5 minutes you spend in Werewolf form after the first 5 you lose a point of ER, how do I do this? Note that simply slapping Costs FP on the AF won't actually work.

Now the third bit, that ER I've mentioned. The Racial Template doesn't have any points in it, meaning newly turned Werewolves can only transform on the full moon.

Question 3: The ER will recharge only on the full moon, but will do so pretty quickly, how much of a limitation is this?

Silver is different, every time a Werewolf is hit with a silver weapon they lose some ER and when they run out, well they transform back to normal, like I said above. This as the interesting effect that attacking a Werewolf with silver on the full moon is actually both a futile task and a good way to end up holding a bomb.

Question 4: How do I make a creature lose ER/FP with every attack by a certain type of weapon? Is it a variant on Vulnerability or Weakness? Note that I am undecided yet how much

And two further questions:

Question 5: Have Werewolves or anything like them ever been given abilities other then the transformation and ability to infect people?

Question 6: I would like to explore the possibility of Werewolves being able to make items out of specially treated silver that can store and possibly use the lunar energies that Werewolves gather on the full moon. I'm guessing this means that in addition to Hidden Lore (Werewolves) there would be three mad science skills related to theoretical understanding, item design and item manufacturing, anyone got any goods names for these?
scc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 04:30 AM   #2
Leynok

Default Re: [Powers] My Attempt at Werewolves

1) Either remove Unconscious only so that you can activate it as you want, but the Full moon will force the transformation or you could keep your AF as it is and also include the Disadvantageous version from Horror, where the GM takes control during such a transformation. If you go with the first of those options, you may want some Quirks included on the werewolf sheet like "Amnesia during the full moon".

2) I don't know about every 5 minutes, but I recall there being a suggested build based of Weakness with a modifier of -60% or -80% for FP damage instead of your typical damage. You may have to tweak the base Disadvantage around to get what you want, but this should give you an idea of the price range you're after.

3) Only charging on the full moon seems like a -80% to me. But you will also need a form of Regeneration with FP only and the same only on the full moon modifier (possibly worth less back for this than ER) in order to increase the level of speed of recovery.

5) I'm sure they have, I would start by looking at World of Darkness for some possible inspiration, I haven't ever read how they dealt with the weres, but they had a decent selection of vamp powers, so if I were to look anywhere first, it would be there.
Leynok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 06:27 AM   #3
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by scc View Post
Question 5: Have Werewolves or anything like them ever been given abilities other then the transformation and ability to infect people?
Werewolves in Werewolf: the Apocalypse are half-spirit, essentially (frankly, they're nearly Inbetweeners). Not surprisingly, they're pretty elaborate.

Without getting into "special" special abilities, all werewolves are not only spiritually terrifying to humans when in the big wolf-ogre form [1] but also cause a sort of mind-wipe effect. Afterwards, humans will rationalize what they saw (bear attack, crazy man with chainsaw etc).

They can also briefly supercharge their regeneration, or their movement (gaining extra combat actions).

Each werewolf chooses from basically a crapton of GURPS powers, in lists sorted by heritage, which moonphase they were born under, and what social rank they've achieved. Some examples: being able to break machinery (silently from a distance), become invisible, turn their talons to silver (which DOES hurt), become immune to fire, terrify wild animals, sniff out Corruption (tm), run super fast, become supernaturally persuasive, or grow giant porcupine quills.

The theme here is that these are animistic spirit powers, often "powered" by asking spirits to do things, or learned from spirits. You jamn technology by asking the spirit of the gun not to fire; you become immune to fire by reminding the fire spirits of your pact with them; you grow giant porcupine quills because a porcupine spirit taught you how.

[1] calling it a wolf-man is not doing it justice
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 06:36 AM   #4
Bruno

In a different theme, in one of the original wolf-man movies, the werewolf could see the death of his next victim in their palm or forehead.

In local lore, a werewolf becomes a vampire after death if you don't stake and behead the body pre-emptively; I presume cremation would also work. I don't know if that counts as a "power" per ce. :)

Commanding/talking to wolves or canines is a fairly straightforward one.

In a lot of belief systems, werewolves are witches, and they become wolves through magical rites/powers. Therefore you see werewolves with your usual witchcraft schticks - blighting cattle and crops, sickening children, poisoning water, making men impotent, and general streaks of bad luck.
Old 03-25-2016, 07:17 AM   #5
Dragondog
Never Been Pretty

1. Neither Uncontrollable nor Unconscious Only erase your memories of what you were doing at the time. So you need something extra for that. If those limitations only affect Alternate Form while there is a full moon, you can use it normally at all other times. If you only can transform during the full moon, you need another limitation for that.

2. I would use a Weakness at x4 and Fatigue Only with a limitation on Alternate Form that forces you to return to your normal form when you run out of ER. But only if you have the ability to transform at other times than the full moon. If you cannot, you don't need this.

3. Regeneration at the speed you like with a limitation of only working during the full moon. The full moon is a -40% Trigger for AF, so that should work here too.

I would add another Weakness with Fatigue Only to silver as Vulnerability doesn't do what you want RAW.

4. See above. Vulnerability with Fatigue Only works only on attacks that do Fatigue damage, it doesn't add FP damage to HP damaging attacks. Unless they've added a modifier after Basic.

5. Werewolves always have more powers than that in my experience.
Dragondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 12:20 PM   #6
smurf
Banned

When I did a vampire I wanted a monster that did vampire stuff ie bite stuff and regain ht at a stupid rate.

I dispensed with all the folklore stuff, of course you can add that in if you want.

First start with the Werewolf. How ST is it, it will have claws and fangs and maybe some DR for thick hide and regeneration abilities.

Now think of how to off set the price:

Just the full moon or they can change when they want to?

Supernatural Durability with Silver weapon damage? For my Vampires I just used Acid - they are not from Folklore.

Think of putting your own spin on it and not go for a direct copy of something else. It could make it easier, nastier and maybe more manageable.
smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 01:33 PM   #7
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by scc View Post
O

Yes, oh yes. Here is a list of werewolf powers I have seen in various sources that are _not_ Werewolf the Apocalypse:

1. Having the best of human and wolf senses while in human form.
2. Quick regeneration of injuries except for silver and magic.
3. Telepathic communication with wolves and other werewolves.
4. Supernatural ability to intimidate and attract
5. Weather control. (Only Big Bad wolves)
6. Enhanced longevity
7. Sprouting claws in mostly human form
8: Memory transference or alteration though inflicting a minor wound with claws on the back of the neck
9. Consultation with ancestral spirits (Only Big Bad wolves)
10. Psychic ability to sense "weakness" in others. This includes illness, fear and lack of alertness.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 09:24 AM   #8
Gangrel44

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurf View Post

Just the full moon or they can change when they want to?

I would love to see to see a werewolf template where it can turn any time it wished, but on the nights of a full moon, it would undergo a mandatory transformation.
Gangrel44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 09:29 AM   #9
Bruno

On the subject of non WoD werewolf powers:
From Hellboy, a medieval werewolf was immortal, and had enslaved the ghosts of his family members trapped in the shapes of wolves.
Old 04-01-2016, 12:27 PM   #10
GodBeastX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangrel44 View Post
I would love to see to see a werewolf template where it can turn any time it wished, but on the nights of a full moon, it would undergo a mandatory transformation.
This would probably be around -5% to -10%. My feeling it's an always on that's limited to how often Always On applies. 3% of the nights are a full moon.

Tags
powers, races, werewolves