Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-23-2011, 08:59 PM   #11
Kale

Default Re: how useful is Luck?

Often in a game there will be a 'make-or-break the adventure' roll. Stealth to sneak into the secret base, Fast-Talk to con a guard etc. For these moments, luck can be priceless. I've had PCs re-roll critical failures on such rolls thanks to Luck. Without Luck, the adventure would have turned nasty for the PCs right on the spot.
Old 10-23-2011, 11:30 PM   #12
lachimba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Pee Kitty View Post
There's no real way to factor in the "and I can do it retroactively" bit, though, and that's the real utility of Luck.

The only other way to avoid a crit/ compulsory failure are some rules in MH and elsewhere.

Otherwise you always fail on 17/18... 1/50 times or so.

You will fail on the reroll... what once in 1000+ times? what is it with 3 chances to beat 17?

Thats seems pretty good for rolls that will come up about 1/50 times.

Then sometimes you need to succeed on a reroll where you might have a to roll below 10 etc or even lower.

So that is worth +3? on the reroll? I would have though a little more which is why I asked the question.
lachimba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 12:30 AM   #13
Lamech

Luck and similar crit-insurance, are the life-blood of any MH witch.
Hiriko
Andrew
Lamech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 04:52 AM   #14
weby

Luck is either the most overpowered/cost or the second most overpowered of all advantages in game. If your games are very combat heavy then combat reflexes are probably more powerfull, but even then luck is a close second, else luck is the most powerfull thing.
weby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 07:42 AM   #15
D10

Location: In Rio de Janeiro, where it was cyberpunk before it was cool.

in my game, theres a dice roll every 20 mins, and combat is rare, so luck is in my pcs view, the best advantage in the game.
D10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 07:54 AM   #16
Bruno

For a while Luck was rare at our game table. Then we saw one character with Luck in play, and I think at this point it's become mandatory. I'm actually considering passing it out as a "free campaign advantage" for everyone (either that, or a few levels of Monster Hunters Destiny).
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 09:03 AM   #17
gilbertocarlos

Even if the player rolls 60 times/hour, it still worthwhile, because even tought attacks against the mooks are important, when you're going to deliver the fatal strike, the sword to the neck, the spear to the vitals, the sniper shot in the head, the roll will be a hundred times more important.
gilbertocarlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 09:27 AM   #18
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Pee Kitty View Post
There's no real way to factor in the "and I can do it retroactively" bit, though, and that's the real utility of Luck.
Isn't that what the Active limitation does?
Old 10-24-2011, 09:31 AM   #19
captaincomic

When I first read the Luck advantage, I immediatly thought "No." - "I'm not going to allow this for my PCs."

After I read through more or less the all the character creation options, I felt it's probably the only advantage I really don't like. Serendipity and Gizmos coming right after, but at least these are funny and creative and not just plain powerful.

I feel like it's a bad thing if the players know they can always rely on their luck. Once per hour might be ok, but once every 10 minutes??? Especially in non combat situations, where the dice are not rolled so ofter, this could mean you could use luck on *all* your rolls.

But when reading through the forums Luck is often highly recommended, and some give it even to all their players:
Quote:
I'm actually considering passing it out as a "free campaign advantage" for everyone
Is it just me, or do some of you also forbid Luck in your games?

Note: I haven't played GURPS yet, I'm just in the planning phase for an post-apocalyptic campaign. Maybe it's just that I want may players to actually feel the fear when their PCs are in danger.
captaincomic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 09:35 AM   #20
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asta Kask View Post
Isn't that what the Active limitation does?
If you mean "Isn't that what the Active limitation stops you from doing", then yes.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gurps 4e, gurps 4th edition, luck, maths